Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
I've lost track of bit on your posts, but have you enrolled Sophie in an obedience class yet? I think you might both benefit from a class in which a trainer can give you some tips on how to get her to pay closer attention to you on walks.

Before my current dogs, I had a 60 lb. Great Pyrenees mix, and with a little training, I was able to get him to leave most objects alone when we went out on walks. I found that I had better success with "leave it" than with "drop it." The classes I took with him helped a lot.

· Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
My city has a dog obedience club that teaches a ten-week course in the basics for just $50. They advertise through the city's community services department. You might want to search around for affordable options in your area.

With my former dog, I did a lot of practice with very simple commands: sit, let's go, leave it, and look at me. I wasn't entirely successful all of the time. We never mastered "drop it," and he'd pull hard when he saw a squirrel, but we enjoyed quite a few walks.

· Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
Also, try your city's Parks and Recreation division. Sometimes they will offer low-cost classes.

Another member who started out with an untrained, un-walkable dog is Lab4Life. She has a 90-lb lab. Here's her thread in which she had her break-out moment. At the bottom of the first page is a description of some of the techniques her trainer taught her. You might find that helpful.

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/update-my-1st-day-training-amazing-146074/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.