Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are quite a few medium to large low shedding dogs: Standard Poodle, Irish Water Spaniel, Portuguese Water Dog, etc. Dogs with with a hunting background will have a big bark, but they should not be aggressive if properly bred and socialized. All of these dogs were bred to be working or hunting dogs, so all will be medium to high energy. They won't be happy lying around being fluffy. This is especially true when they are young. It is quite likely they will playfully chase, playfully catch, and playfully knock down a small running child. They will do it in the most loving way possible. Therefore, for the first 18 months or so you will need to train children and puppy how to behave. You will also need to find ways for the dog to burn off both mental and physical energy. A potty trip outside and then back into the house won't be enough, at least not if you value your shoes, furniture, and woodwork.

Whatever breed you choose, I'd suggest that you choose a breeder who performs the recommended health tests for the breed and posts the results on ofa.org. I'd also recommend buying from a breeder that performs temperament testing such as Volhard testing and matches the puppies to the buyers by temperament.

Someone will undoubtedly try to direct you to a labradoodle or golden doodle. The logic will be: "Everyone knows Labs and Goldens are great with kids. Everyone knows poodles are hypoallergenic. Mate the two and you will get the perfect dog!" It's too good to be true, and don't believe it. You might indeed get lucky find the perfect dog. (Especially if you find a breeder who does both the health and temperament testing I suggested above.) On the other hand, you might get the dander, cancer predisposition, and wildness of an ill-bred Golden mixed with the intelligence, prey drive, and auto-immune disorders of an ill-bred poodle, all rolled into one nervous separation anxiety prone package.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.