Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My yorkie is currently around 5 months old, so it may be too early to determine the type of coat he has, but I was wondering if he had a silky, cotton, or wiry coat? It is somewhat soft and mats easily which led me to suspect that it was cottony, but my dad says that it looks more wiry. Opinions? :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, a purebred Yorkie is not going to have a wiry coat like a Scottie or a Schnauzer, although it would certainly be cute on a mix with a Yorkie personality!

My understanding is that a cottony coat is a "flaw" in a show dog and that it just plain won't grow out. A silky coat CAN be grown out and is certainly beautiful, but it's a lot of work and might not be the best use of your or your Yorkie's time.

This is the pot calling the kettle black since my little mixed breed is WAY to cute to clip, lol. A cottony coat is a perfectly healthy variation on normal and there are many cute, low-maintenance clips that will look great and let you and your dog enjoy the active lifestyle that Yorkies are bred for.

Congratulations on your new puppy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on the dog. Some dogs have fur and some have hair. That is why some dogs are hypoallergenic and some are not. The ones with hair are usually the ones that do not trigger allergies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can get all types of Coats, Collars, Leashes, Harness, and many other categories Product from Duke and Dutchess. You will get awesome products, it's especially famous for Dog Carry bag, so you can get the latest and Best Dog carry bags with Coats, Leashes, Collars, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts