Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just enrolled Emma in agility foundations...tomorrow is our second class...

what kinda of classes have you all had your dogs in?

To make the thread interesting horror stories are welcome...lol

This is actually my first class I've enrolled in...and its not even a class...im paying for private lessons (because I work on class days)

I have watched a few trainers work (ussually petco/petsmart trainers because they don't object to people watching) but nothing I was impressed with..

so yeah...we're embarking on agility...im excited!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i have never taken a professionally led class either! except when i worked at the zoo, we had a group of pros teach the staff all sorts of techniques for training. but it wasn't really hands-on. i would love to take something, and am looking for something in my area. i think my dog would be a great tracker, but i am not so sure about agility, he is pretty clumsy and not very fast, still i think he would enjoy it, let me know how it goes.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have taken Stormy to obedience class and agility. She did very well with obedience. She did not care for the weaving poles or sitting on the table, But the A frame and tunnel were her favorites. The best thing was...she was tired when we got home and slept all night. If I do another class, I'll do the second level obedience.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have taken Harvick through classes at petsmart with one trainer and went through advanced. He listens well but he is a crazy ass dog....He was so behaved and only sometimes toy aggressive until a husky raped his butt, and I am not kidding. My bf had to rip this dang dog off of mine. We were going to do agility training but cannot afford private lessons and do not prefer to have him around other dogs anymore off leash (he does not focus). BUT we found a cheap set of agility equiptment (because he loves jumping over things including baby gates LOL) for 50 bucks through Dr. Foster's and Smith.

As for the other dogs...Wendy and Tinkerbell (chihuahuas) went through puppy and basic training together (luckily we did not have to pay for any of the other dogs since Harvick paid our way through all 3 of their classes). Peyton did not go through training because we do it ourselves.

Hope that was enough info for everybody LOL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I just had my second class and I left kinda disapointed...

The trainer wants Emma to learn "go to your mat" which is fine but she wanted me to free shape the behavior...

free shaping is when you literally lay the mat down and wait for the dog to look at it... click/treat ....then stand on it ......click/treat then stand with all four on it .....click/treat...get what Im saying...? The dog recieves no cues...no talking, no body language.

the dog has to figure this ALL out on its own. Im all for that, Tippy and Chili play free shaping games all the time and are pro at it...But Emma...the dog in the class does not free shape well (or at all) she was trained by her original owners in tradional correction based methods and those types of dogs need TONS of work to get them to free shape.

I tried to explain to the trainer that the dog wanted direction and would not offer the behavior on her own. That Emma didn't understand free shaping yet (it has to be taught...and we ARE working on that, its just not there yet)

The trainer still insisted we free shape the behavior...

the result...TEN MINUTES and nothing accomplished...Emma simply sat there and stared at me...in fact she deliberately sat to the side of the mat avoiding it.. I'm not really paying money to have my dog stare a hole in my head.

Also she was giving GREAT eye contact but the trainers criteria was only to reward interaction with the mat...so I could have been doing both...working on the mat and rewarding the fantastic eye contact but all that great eye contact went unrewarded.

So I go home and teach it MY WAY (the same way its traditionaly taught) which is in the very very begining you guide the dog onto the mat and then fade your helping quickly.

In five minutes she was going to the mat on cue from five feet away and laying down giving eye contact and staying there.

*sigh*

So i figure a few more sessions and then I'll have to decide if I should just train this stuff myself.

end rant lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't know why people think they know others' dogs better than the owner. I know my dogs are not perfect but they listen to me. I am going to take video of Harvick with his agility equipment when we get it and show everybody how smart he is without someone telling us how to do it lol. Crio are you going to continue? Or just do it on your own?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Well I just had my second class and I left kinda disapointed...

The trainer wants Emma to learn "go to your mat" which is fine but she wanted me to free shape the behavior...

free shaping is when you literally lay the mat down and wait for the dog to look at it... click/treat ....then stand on it ......click/treat then stand with all four on it .....click/treat...get what Im saying...? The dog recieves no cues...no talking, no body language.

the dog has to figure this ALL out on its own. Im all for that, Tippy and Chili play free shaping games all the time and are pro at it...But Emma...the dog in the class does not free shape well (or at all) she was trained by her original owners in tradional correction based methods and those types of dogs need TONS of work to get them to free shape.

I tried to explain to the trainer that the dog wanted direction and would not offer the behavior on her own. That Emma didn't understand free shaping yet (it has to be taught...and we ARE working on that, its just not there yet)

The trainer still insisted we free shape the behavior...

the result...TEN MINUTES and nothing accomplished...Emma simply sat there and stared at me...in fact she deliberately sat to the side of the mat avoiding it.. I'm not really paying money to have my dog stare a hole in my head.

Also she was giving GREAT eye contact but the trainers criteria was only to reward interaction with the mat...so I could have been doing both...working on the mat and rewarding the fantastic eye contact but all that great eye contact went unrewarded.

So I go home and teach it MY WAY (the same way its traditionaly taught) which is in the very very begining you guide the dog onto the mat and then fade your helping quickly.

In five minutes she was going to the mat on cue from five feet away and laying down giving eye contact and staying there.

*sigh*

So i figure a few more sessions and then I'll have to decide if I should just train this stuff myself.

end rant lol
why do you think the trainer wanted that particular behavior to be trained in that particular way? do you think it is because she only uses that method, or because it works well with agility training? could you discuss with her, before your next class what this is leading up to and maybe what techniques you could try to get there,or do you think she is set in her method etc? it is a bummer that she would be so adamant about it after you explained to her.....good luck with it....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
why do you think the trainer wanted that particular behavior to be trained in that particular way? do you think it is because she only uses that method, or because it works well with agility training? could you discuss with her, before your next class what this is leading up to and maybe what techniques you could try to get there,or do you think she is set in her method etc? it is a bummer that she would be so adamant about it after you explained to her.....good luck with it....
I think its just her way for that particular game. I don't know why . She hasn't had me free shape anything else. Also established trainers from what I've seen don't free shape this behavior either. I've already taught Emma this behavior, except its a crate, not a mat . All the other agility behaviors would make no sence to free shape either, so I doubt its an agility thing...just her way of doing that game on that day.

Also Emma has other behaviors in place (sit, stay etc etc) and the trainer was not concerned at all how I achieved those behaviors. She simply wanted to see them performed to make sure they existed.

I could see my dog was getting confused and frustrated(which is obviously not desireable, by the end of the ten minutes the dog walked away bored)....as was I.... I only had to give her guidance a few times (like three)and then I stopped helping her and shaped the behavior from there. the goal in training is always to make it fun and set the dog up to succeed, Free shaping a dog with traditional training background is like trying to teach an english speaking preschooler her colors and shapes by speaking japanese.

I don't know why people think they know others' dogs better than the owner. I know my dogs are not perfect but they listen to me. I am going to take video of Harvick with his agility equipment when we get it and show everybody how smart he is without someone telling us how to do it lol. Crio are you going to continue? Or just do it on your own?

I do already own som' agility equipment...

but things like the a frame, dogwalk and teeter are not som'thing Im willing to purchase (VERY expensive) or make (their just too big for my yard)....so I inevitably will need to use som'one elses.

Im going to make it a point to explain to her when I show her the finished behavior (and she approves of it) that I didn't do it her way and why.

My next lesson is in three weeks. I wont cancel on her, but I think if I leave feeling like crap again Im not going to make another appointment.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok its been driving me nuts all day so I send her an email asking her motivation for teaching the behavior that way...and also reiterating that that method is not the best way to teach this particular dog IMO

we'll see what she says.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took one class and became addicted....I've had Natalie in classes non-stop ever since. Currently she is in agility class and has been for almost 3yrs.

Classes Natalie's been through:
Clicker Class, Level II Obedience, Pre-agility, Beginner Agility, Pre-Novice Agility, Intro to Comp Obedience, CGC Prep, City Dog, Therapy Dog Prep, K9 Freestyle, and Tracking.

Natalie was 5yrs old when I took her to her first group class. She was a nervous wreck and we had to sit out the first few classes. She is great now...the best dog I'll ever know. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took one class and became addicted
Pretty much what happened to me, my trainer forced me to give my pup some vacation time :D He starts agility soon, it's going to be fun.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Pretty much what happened to me, my trainer forced me to give my pup some vacation time :D He starts agility soon, it's going to be fun.
Awesome! My big boy love agility! We are getting our own cheapy set through Drs Foster and Smith to set up in the backyard for him

·
Registered
60 Posts
me and my dobes went all the way to pet therapy. when i got noel we started puppy classes and went to the intermediate lvl then took a few search and rescue classes but my dad is sick so i have had to put training on the back burner.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I am bored tonight and just reading some old posts.....

Did you continue with the class or do it on your own?

BUT we found a cheap set of agility equiptment (because he loves jumping over things including baby gates LOL) for 50 bucks through Dr. Foster's and Smith.
How did this work out for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts