Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog does not enjoy car rides.
The only way she is fine with a car ride is if she is on someone's lap.
She's 64 pounds and that can't be on me when I am trying to drive!

I have tried the harness but she just starts chewing on it.
I have a kia soul and backseats come down. She will lay back there fine, but after awhile she tries to climb over the console in my lap. Which is an accident waiting to happen. Her kennel would fit back there, but I am afraid she'll associate her kennel (which she loves) with a negative thing (the car, which she hates).

The harness is a no go, the kennel is a maybe, any other suggestions? :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
You can buy gates specially designed to prevent dogs from getting into the front seat.

But for safety, a kennel or harness should be used. Otherwise, even a sudden stop can send the dog flying around the vehicle, which is not good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is another type of harness that may work for you. It is a sleepy pod and it straps on both sides of your dog which would make it a bit more difficult to reach round and chew, but is expensive to find out your dog just ate it in a couple minutes.

Kia soul has factory barriers and aftermarket ones will work also, but these are more designed to have your dog in the very back where it is safer. These can run used for 25 dollars and 200 dollars new on the high end. I have seen some fabric type barriers that attach to the front seats and your dog sits in the back seat, but not sure if they fit properly with all vehicles.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You could try some CCing to the car. With Bo(boxer) when he was a puppy he hated the car and was pretty petrified of it. So I started off just having him around the car(off/all doors closed) and clicking treating for anysort of interaction with the car and eventually worked up to hanging out in the car while it's off, and then inside car w/ car on etc. Now he absloutely loves getting into the car, but does still have some anxiety issues which brings me to my next point xD

I'd still say definately give the crate a try because it can give your dog a sense of security and help keep the dog calm/comfortable. With Bo who yes loves car rides (immediately hops in every chance he gets) if uncrated starts to get anxious(whining/ won't sit still) when we start moving. But being crated definately helps with that and if he's crated he's able to settle and will mostly just sleep. There's also the little one who gets car sick, but is fine if he's in his crate. My other two could care less and both absloutely love care rides, but for safety reasons are crated when we go out.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
10 Posts
i bought a short leash, it's about 12" long that clicks into the seatbelt thingy and clips to the dogs collar. It doesn't help to keep her in her seat. With the amount of movement of the seatbelt thingy she was still able to move to the back and almost choke herself. Once on the way back from a camping trip I made a discovery! I had my rolled up air mattress, my blankets and tent rugs in the front passenger side floor area. It made the front seat almost like a big bed. She slept all the way home! barbarajmorgan.blogspot.com

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you have a family member or friend who can help you counter condition her by riding in the back seat with her and (or they drive and you ride in back) turning it into a positive experience for her? I know that's not always very practical and it takes a while to change their mindsets, but a training partner would make it easier.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
My girl rides in a soft sided crate. And if we're on a longer trip traveling on highways, I cover the whole thing with a blanket to make her feel even more secure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think your best bet would be a crate. Once your dog is used to it, they will feel secure. Both of mine have crates (take up half of the mini van :p) and we never have any trouble with them in care rides.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
we either use a rear trunk which is parted by a grid from the rest of the car or sancho sits on the backseat and is secured with a security harness that is connected to the seatbelts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts