Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to research a lot about the few breeds I am narrowed down to and was curious what else to look for when interested in a breed. Besides breeder, that is. I'm not ready for any big decision yet and would only inquire in a year or two.

So far in a few breeds I have researched the following:
  • Health Issues
  • General temperament
  • Size/weight which really isn't much research.
  • Faults, ideal colors and price depending on so
  • Price/litter size/average waiting period
Anyways, what else should I be researching about?
And what did you research about? :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I find it is not so much what topics you research but more how you go about your research that affects how much honest open breed truths you actually get to hear.
For example do not just look on internet or rely on breeders or breed clubs information on health but ring around a few respected vets & boarding kennels & ask their advise & experience with a particular breeds health.
Temperament do not just rely upon general breed temperament but get in touch with owners of similar bloodlines or even better previous litters of the kennel you are interest in purchasing from.
Do not just phone 1 breeder make a list of questions & ph at least 4 breeders & ask the same questions of each breeder.
Once you narrow it right down ALWAYS visit the breeders place & check out facilities etc.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find it is not so much what topics you research but more how you go about your research that affects how much honest open breed truths you actually get to hear.
For example do not just look on internet or rely on breeders or breed clubs information on health but ring around a few respected vets & boarding kennels & ask their advise & experience with a particular breeds health.
Temperament do not just rely upon general breed temperament but get in touch with owners of similar bloodlines or even better previous litters of the kennel you are interest in purchasing from.
Do not just phone 1 breeder make a list of questions & ph at least 4 breeders & ask the same questions of each breeder.
Once you narrow it right down ALWAYS visit the breeders place & check out facilities etc.
Good advice! I actually visited people who had these dogs and sat with them for a while and talked to the owners. I haven't thought about the vet or kennels, but now I will visit them!

I'm still on edge for a rescue or purchasing for a breeder but at least I know what I generally want and if I can help the dog or not. :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
When I was researching, I was most concerned with energy level/exercise requirements, suitability for first-time owners, and ability to be left alone.

I talked to a few breed owners (in person and online) and asked, "What is your daily life with breed x like?" If necessary, I asked specific question that weren't answered in their replies.

I'd also recommend talking to local trainers about the breed(s) you're interested in. If it's a relatively common breed for your area, hang around local parks to see examples, watch them play and interact with other dogs and people, and talk to owners.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Energy level and drive--how much time will you have to spend playing with and training your dog each day in order to keep her mostly sane. ;) Heritage, in the sense of, was the breed developed for hunting? Herding? Companionship?

Propensity towards separation anxiety?

If you choose to go through a breeder, find out if there are significant differences between show and working lines. Choose accordingly.

If you will be using a groomer instead of doing it yourself, find out average monthly cost. Groomers charge different amounts based on breed.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm a bit... obsessive.

1. Talk to owners about their schedules with the breeds/what life is like with them

2. Meet the breeds if you have not. Most breeders I've talked to will not sell if you haven't.

3. Research pedigrees

4. Youtube videos, etc to see how the dogs are when worked (if you can't in real life)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly the breeds I am looking at aren't common for my area so I would probably drive to another state for the breeder so I wouldn't be limited to one.

I have to say Youtube is my buddy when it comes to looking at what the dogs do and act!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Sadly the breeds I am looking at aren't common for my area so I would probably drive to another state for the breeder so I wouldn't be limited to one.
Well that's no fun. :(

I was fortunate that with my current breed there is a reputable breeder down the street from me. I was able to spend an afternoon with them and their dogs. They have been a continual source of information and support. There were also forums devoted to the breed where I was able to meet people and get a broader perspective.

The breed I'm exploring now is less common; the closest breeder is on the other side of the state and there's someone else who competes with two dogs in the next state. I think my next closest option is in Canada. I've been in touch with the two nearest me and may get to meet them in a few weeks at a show about 3 hours away.

Good luck! Have you mentioned the breeds in previous threads? I'm curious now.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'd say priority one should be energy requirements. I think misunderstanding energy requirement by breed is one of the biggest reasons dogs end up at shelters or rehomed. Sure, maybe the symptom for their "departure" is biting or chewing, but these are only surface signs of energy requirements not being met.

Also, mental needs. A lab might be pacified with a long jog every day. A border collie could go for the same jog, but his mind would be SCREAMING for a complex task to accomplish. Some breeds need mental satisfaction, others just need exercise. Ideally your dog would get both in some form or another, but the balance of these two things usually varies breed to breed.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck! Have you mentioned the breeds in previous threads? I'm curious now.
I may have or may have not, I post way too many posts to keep track of things now! The breeds I like so far are the Kelpie, ACD, and possibly the Irish Terrier but I'm not really sure on that yet. I came across a friends dog, a Klee Kai, and it was soooo adorable. Since their a newer breed there is no way I would have the money for them unless they ran on a normal price. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts