Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time since we've had a puppy in the house, around 13 years in fact. What types of puppy foods are highly recommended? Should we just feed dry food or wet food as well? THe puppy is a 9 week australian shepard/ Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your milage may vary, and your vet might disagree... My pups eat basically what ever commercial brands are best priced, right now, they are on benneful, and they seem to love it. Last month, they where on Buffalow brand, Poutine did not seem to enjoy eating it much.

I wrote an article on this from what my vet told me, basically, he says Puppy food or grown dog food is mainly in the size of the bites.

Vegetables or not, matters very little in his opinion as dogs are mainly carnivores. They do need greens mainly in winter, but in summer will eat grass and or leaves to supplement themselves.

His words where basically, think of your dog as a tamed wolf, small, (Papillon) but still a wolf. What ever they would eat in nature, would be raw, have bones and some times feathers or fur.
He said birds are a major part of the wild dogs, and they live quite well, so although he does not say to give chicken bones to the pups, he did say if I see the dogs with a wild bird in their mouth not to “freak out” over it.

Bones should be raw when ever possible, cooked bones become brittle much like glass, pork is not recommended.

His opinion on commercial grade foods is about the same, they are all worth about the same he claims, some say they are “better” for some breeds, some claim to have more meat, less fillers, his take on what he sees of dog foods is that if it did not meet the government standards, it would not be in the stores.

Some dogs are constant eaters, and for this he said the cheaper foods even if they have corn or corn feed in them are probably a good take, seeing you do not want your glutton dog to get all fat, giving him a food that is mainly a filler is not a bad choice, other then that, he said all other dog foods are basically the same, it’s a matter of taste to the dog. Just like I like Kraft dinner and my wife can not look at the stuff… dogs are basically the same, they have certain tastes that they will prefer, most of those tastes are in the fats from meats.

He suggested if and when I decide to do agility, and only then to use a pro or champ type food and then again, only on the days of competition. Those foods have extra boosters in them, he suggest that only on days the dog is being worked hard that this food be used.

Basically, its up to your budget, and your dogs taste pallet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A lot of it is opinion. I have tried supermarket food (purina,pedigree,dads,etc.), pet store food(eukanuba,wellness,iams), and raw diets(b.a.r.f.). It really has a lot to do with the individual dog. I fed Kibbles and Bits for the longest time, with good luck. Than I adopted a doberman from the humane society who had all kinds of skin problems and the vet recomended Iams. It cleared up his dandruf and dry skin. After he moved on I went back to the K&B. My most recent dog, Jynx, refused to eat when I brung her home. After researching the BARF diet I started her out on raw chicken and rice, she took to it really well. I fed b.a.r.f. for about three months than switched her over to Wellness. We both love it! I love the results, shiney coat, small stools, she eats less. She loves the taste, people grade meat,apples,blueberries,sweet potatoes.Made in the USA,wasn't affected by the big recall. It's what I will feed from now on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would stay away from any dog food that lists a grain as the first or second ingredient.......This goes for corn as well.....Alot of the cheaper commercial dog foods like benneful are loaded with corn which is very hard on a dogs digestive system. Plus they get very little nutritional value from corn. Also, many dogs have subtle food allergies to grains.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I totally agree with RetrieverGirl41. And don't forget alot of those garbage foods have lots of salt and sugar in them. This makes those foods taste better to the dogs and they get addicted to it. IMO, the foods with all those grains in them, the grains are carbs and carbs turn into sugar in the system. It's why we see a lot more Diabetes in dogs and cats. :ponder:

If you want to feed your new pup kibble, I would feed it Taste of the Wild, High Prairie formula. It's grain free and my dogs have done very well on it. I do add raw foods every now and then when my budget allows! The stuff my pups are fed is: raw baffalo meat, tiny bit of raw liver, heart, one raw egg every couple of days or so, goat yogurt or goat milk, (depends on which one is available). Raw meaty bones or knuckle bones. (again, depends on whats available.

Good luck with your new puppy!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Please remember that switching the food all the time makes not only the dog more picky, but it upsets the digestive tract, and makes for more loose stools, and a very upset belly. When you find the right food, try and stick to it. Do your research, and try and find one that is good for your pocket, and has less of the fillers. Stay away from Ol roy, though, that is just the worst in the market. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love Puppies !!

A puppy should eat lot of food. From birth up to six months of age, he'll need to eat two to four times as much as an adult dog to support all that growth.

Check this cheapest online store where you can get highly nutritional puppy food >>> Puppy Food

:rockon:

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love dog foods !!

A puppy should eat lot of food. From birth up to six months of age, he'll need to eat two to four times as much as an adult dog to support all that growth.

Check this cheapest online store where you can get highly nutritional puppy food >>> Puppy Food

:p

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It depends on your dog, some dogs do better on certain foods. It also depends on your budget and what is available in your area. I prefer raw (prey model) over all other foods. If looking at kibble there are a lot of good puppy foods, several which I like for mine but the main would have to be Fromm Puppy Gold that I've had good experience with, best price (for quality), the dogs also like it, has worked well for me.

I wouldn't get foods that have grain as first ingredient, are mostly grain (very little meat and lots of grain ingredients), has by products, has meat and bone meal, has chemical preservatives, those are just a few things I'd steer clear of.

Please remember that switching the food all the time makes not only the dog more picky, but it upsets the digestive tract, and makes for more loose stools, and a very upset belly. When you find the right food, try and stick to it. Do your research, and try and find one that is good for your pocket, and has less of the fillers. Stay away from Ol roy, though, that is just the worst in the market. Good luck.
Maybe for yours but mine do fine. My dogs being picky would be when hell freezes over. I do not think I could turn them picky if I wanted too, they always have a great appetite.

With kibble I use a rotation diet and there are supposed to be benefits to this. I'm not suggesting everyone do it. However my dogs always have good stools, some are firmer or bigger/smaller depending on which kibble they are eating. This is always consistent when they eat a certain kibble they have a certain stool. It doesn't give them stomach/stool problems. Regardless this is what transitioning is for. Some dogs need more transition time then others. I know those that rotate using a few days transition, others a week or 10 days. Whatever works for their dogs. I myself usually just switch right over, sometimes they get a mix for one day or one food in the morning and another at night. They have a fine tolerance for this (no upset) but not all dogs will.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recommend puppy food !

Puppies need to eat a lot--and not too much. You should be able to feel but not see their ribs, and they should have a visible waist when you look down at them. This is true for puppies of any breed, big or small.

Lower-quality ingredients are found in many the cheaper brands while some varieties include higher quality ingredients for improved digestibility.

I recommend you to buy "puppy food." It's more likely to have the extra nutrients a puppy needs until he's full grown. (Ask your vet for guidelines on when that might be--small dogs of course mature more quickly than big dogs.) Regular food labeled "for all life stages" is fine too.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts