Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We are trying to get things together before our new pup arrives and was wondering what others suggested for puppy food. He's a 8wk old American pit bull terrier and is currently on regular Purina puppy chow but I'm not there biggest fan of this brand and just in case wanted some alternatives. What are you all feeding your pups at this age and is there a more suitable food for this breed?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Orijen is probably the top pick. Go puppy after that. What you are looking for is high protein no grain and no junk.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pruina Pulpy Chow is like feeding your dog Taco Bell.

Lots of brands out there. Best advice I have heard is buy the best dog food that you can reasonably afford. Coat, energy level, even smell of the dog are all affected by the food they eat. Go find a local independent pet store and talk to a few folks about what they have and what is right for your dog.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd strongly suggest you keep your puppy on whatever he's been eating for at least a few weeks. Switching foods, even slowly and gradually, may give you yet another adjustment problem in the form of loose stools. A month or so of Puppy Chow isn't going to ruin your dog's health for life and you will have lots of other challenges to occupy your time together in the beginning without experimenting with food. I would say the same thing no matter what the dog had been eating. You may want to investigate a Large Breed Puppy Food to ensure your pittie's growth is moderate. I've no particular experience with large dogs.

You will undoubtedly hear many suggestions to feed a rather expensive grain-free food. Orijen, Acana, Wellness, Evo, and Blue Buffalo are very popular and many people swear by them, but many dogs never adjust to these foods and in their search for firm poops new owners find themselves on a dog food merry-go-round. Don't feel bad if you don't want to spend the money these brands cost; there are *lots* of foods, both grain inclusive and grain free, that your dog could do well on potentially. Taste of the Wild, Canidae, Whole Earth Farms and Diamond Naturals are more moderately priced. Many people like the Kirkland brand from Costco or 4Health from Tractor Supply. In fact feed stores have lots of lesser known less expensive brands that people with several dogs to feed are very successful with. If you start out with a grain free food and your dog doesn't adjust, don't be afraid to try a food with grain.

And keep in mind that there are some dogs that always do better with "middle of the road" foods than the highly praised "holistic" "natural" brands. I've come to that conclusion myself after 13 years of feeding raw, home cooked, dry and canned foods to multiple dogs. My current puppy is happily (and healthily) eating a very mainstream commercial product these days and has the most consistent digestion of any dog I've ever fed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd strongly suggest you keep your puppy on whatever he's been eating for at least a few weeks. Switching foods, even slowly and gradually, may give you yet another adjustment problem in the form of loose stools. A month or so of Puppy Chow isn't going to ruin your dog's health for life and you will have lots of other challenges to occupy your time together in the beginning without experimenting with food. I would say the same thing no matter what the dog had been eating. You may want to investigate a Large Breed Puppy Food to ensure your pittie's growth is moderate. I've no particular experience with large dogs.

You will undoubtedly hear many suggestions to feed a rather expensive grain-free food. Orijen, Acana, Wellness, Evo, and Blue Buffalo are very popular and many people swear by them, but many dogs never adjust to these foods and in their search for firm poops new owners find themselves on a dog food merry-go-round. Don't feel bad if you don't want to spend the money these brands cost; there are *lots* of foods, both grain inclusive and grain free, that your dog could do well on potentially. Taste of the Wild, Canidae, Whole Earth Farms and Diamond Naturals are more moderately priced. Many people like the Kirkland brand from Costco or 4Health from Tractor Supply. In fact feed stores have lots of lesser known less expensive brands that people with several dogs to feed are very successful with. If you start out with a grain free food and your dog doesn't adjust, don't be afraid to try a food with grain.

And keep in mind that there are some dogs that always do better with "middle of the road" foods than the highly praised "holistic" "natural" brands. I've come to that conclusion myself after 13 years of feeding raw, home cooked, dry and canned foods to multiple dogs. My current puppy is happily (and healthily) eating a very mainstream commercial product these days and has the most consistent digestion of any dog I've ever fed.
Thank u so much for the info and encouragement. We will gradually switch him over and have chosen a grain free puppy food by Taste of the wild which was reasonably priced. So far he's doing very good with it and adjusting well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank u so much for the info and encouragement. We will gradually switch him over and have chosen a grain free puppy food by Taste of the wild which was reasonably priced. So far he's doing very good with it and adjusting well.
Glad to hear it. Its a good healthy food. There are also many different flavors and there is puppy tow and adult tow :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another thing to note. When transitioning foods (or just in general) pumpkin puree is an awesome doggy super food that helps regulate their digestion and avoid upsets. Start with a teaspoon at each meal and transition to about a tablespoon each meal by the 4th day. Goats milk also has a lot of awesome very digestible probiotic for pups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing to note. When transitioning foods (or just in general) pumpkin puree is an awesome doggy super food that helps regulate their digestion and avoid upsets. Start with a teaspoon at each meal and transition to about a tablespoon each meal by the 4th day. Goats milk also has a lot of awesome very digestible probiotic for pups.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give it a try

1 - 9 of 9 Posts