Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
we were recently given a border collie. Shes doing fantastically on dry food.
The thing is, she is constantly eating grass. She never eats enough to actually make herself sick, we were told to change her feed as what she is on may be upsetting her stomach. With so many different types of food on the market i dont have a single clue where to start looking.

She is doing great on dry food (meat generally tends to give her TERRIBLE wind and an even worse belly!), her coat looks fantastic and shes put on enough weight so she doesnt look in poor health. I just need to change her food to one which wont aggravate her stomach. If you have any idea's please please help me!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I don't really know what food would be "soft" for the stomach but I can certainly recommend you all grain free dry dog foods....like Orijen, Taste of the Wild etc.
I feed Orijen many years now and I'm very happy with result....I also change flavors every now and then :D.

I know Mikey and other members can help you more tho! ;)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi there,
The thing is, she is constantly eating grass. She never eats enough to actually make herself sick, we were told to change her feed as what she is on may be upsetting her stomach. With so many different types of food on the market i dont have a single clue where to start looking.

She is doing great on dry food (meat generally tends to give her TERRIBLE wind and an even worse belly!), her coat looks fantastic and shes put on enough weight so she doesnt look in poor health. I just need to change her food to one which wont aggravate her stomach. If you have any idea's please please help me!
I would try a limited diet that means like duck and potato or fish and potato many companies have them. If that does not work you may have a meat intolerant dog and may have to go vegetarian. My dogs graze on grass all of the time like cows. If they have eaten a certain kind of grass like dandelion they do it to throw up and that means they needed to purge their stomach, but if the eat it with no ill effects they just like grass.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have three border collies, they all eat Skinners field and trial maintenance , I dont know if you can get it in the US , here in the UK its £15 for a 15 kg sack , that will last my three a month

As for the grass thing , one of my lads, Teddy , grazes like he is a cow, lol ...I asked my vet about it and he said that some dogs just like the taste , others will eat it because it isnt easily digested by dogs and could make them throw up , it kinda depends on the dog
If your girl is happy grazing then let her :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have three border collies, they all eat Skinners field and trial maintenance , I dont know if you can get it in the US , here in the UK its £15 for a 15 kg sack , that will last my three a month

As for the grass thing , one of my lads, Teddy , grazes like he is a cow, lol ...I asked my vet about it and he said that some dogs just like the taste , others will eat it because it isnt easily digested by dogs and could make them throw up , it kinda depends on the dog
If your girl is happy grazing then let her :D

Im from the uk :)
iv been looking into skinners but cant seem to find a stockist in my area (beeston, nottingham) was hoping pets at home would do it....but they dont :mad:

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I would try a limited diet that means like duck and potato or fish and potato many companies have them. If that does not work you may have a meat intolerant dog and may have to go vegetarian. My dogs graze on grass all of the time like cows. If they have eaten a certain kind of grass like dandelion they do it to throw up and that means they needed to purge their stomach, but if the eat it with no ill effects they just like grass.
I agree with this. My dogs graze on grass in the yard and rarely have they vomited from it. I also agree to try switching the meat from typical chicken to something like fish or duck or even venison. The dog may have an allergy to chicken based products. This all happened with one of our dogs, he ate grass and would be the one to get sick from it, came to find out he was allergic to grass. Are there any other symptoms? Diarrhea?

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you don't have any other symptoms, then there's no issues to worry about. My dogs graze on grass quite a lot, and have no problems. If your dogs stool is hard, then there's no upset tummy. If the dogs tummy was upset, the stool would either be really soft or the runs. If he looks happy, has a great coat, and hard stools, then he's perfectly fine. And if you still aren't too sure, see a vet. That is the best way to really know is through a full checkup at the vet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

Hi, I have a 12 year old male. He get´s dodson & Horell (from England) 15 kg lasts for a month, "working crunch" or "greyhound racing mix". They also have "senior" for older dogs. Excellent with mobilty mix included. I get daily compliments for Norpans healthy and younglooking appearance.

Norpan live from Sweden

1 - 9 of 9 Posts