Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little red Heeler that is a little over a year old, and when he was younger he was having a hard time with food and such had pancreatitis. He is now fine. He is on the thin side however and I am feeding him Atrium holistic dog food, I think the protein is 26%? Currently two cups a day, when I give him more he gets gassy. So I don't know if switching to a higher protein is a good idea or not?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If your pup has a predisposition for pancreatitus you have to be careful with the fat in his diet and usually it is recommended to never feed large amounts of fatty foods (especially human food) in one sitting. Being lean is okay as long as when you do the 'feel' test the ribs and hip bones are not protruding . It might help him to gain weight if you feed him several very small meals thru the day, rather than 2 large meals.
Low fat, high carbohydrate diet if your dog is going to be prone to pancreatitis problems . If he is doing well on the food he is eating, I wouldn't change it personally!

P.S. If he self regulates (doesn't hoover his food) you might try free feeding, but again, it must be low fat content.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
12 Posts
Contact VeRus Pet Foods & fill out their questionnaire. They'll write back and ask questions to help you find the right food. My suggestion would be their Life Advantage but I know they'll know more of what you'll need.
contact us
Also, if you use a bowl with structure in it or put a ball in with the food, that will keep your dog from gobbling/eating too fast which may help with the gas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a heeler kelpie mix. He eats earthborn primitive natural. 38% protien about the same as blue but 20% fat, which is higher than blue. I needed more fat content AND high protein because he runs so much and hes so thin. He's healthy, very muscular, but I can't have him loosing weight. It's also grain free

1 - 6 of 6 Posts