Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy just isn't interested in normal puppy food. We've tried Waitrose wet and dry food, and Wainwrights wet and dry food, and he's now on James Wellbeloved dry food on the vets recommendation, but he just doesn't seem keen on any of it. He sniffs it and walks away, only returning when hes starving, to eventually eat half of the recommended amount for his age and size. We're wondering whether he has some intolerance to puppy food because hes had three bouts of diarrhea and sickness, since we brought him home on 3rd March.

Each time we've taken him to the vet, we're told its just an upset tummy. Once he was given antibiotics for a week. Every time has had probiotics prescribed too. Every time we've also been advised to put him on something light, scrambled egg and rice was recommended. So this we have done and each time he devours it! He clearly absolutely adores egg and rice especially, and cleans the bowl every time! Something he never does with puppy food.

Right now, we are giving him scrambled egg and rice after his last bout of an upset tummy. He loves it. But we don't know what to do for the best as he gets better? We've put his biscuits down again and as usual, he just ignores them and looks for his egg and rice!

I'd be grateful to hear what experienced dog owners think. Do you think we stick with the James Wellbeloved food as the vet recommended, despite the fact Teddy clearly doesn't like it? Maybe he'll grow to like it? Should we mix egg and rice with the James W. biscuits? Or make our own food from scratch? Or is there another brand that is better? The vet said its not a good idea to make your own dog food as you risk missing out the important nutrients he needs, and apparently wet food can damage their teeth over an extended length of time....

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. We are new puppy owners and want the very best for our fluffy boy. But we are worried and confused!

Thank you for reading :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
He could be having tummy troubles from the changing of the food. 3 changes since march is quite a bit, even more if he was on another food from where u got him.

When changing food u should switch very slowly combining the new food with the old and changing the amounts over time.

I would be wary giving him too much egg & rice as he will just come to expect that and not want to eat his normal food.

I don't think it has anything to do with puppy food. There are tons of food brands out there it makes sense that he wouldn't like some. You can try to get free samples from stores or brand websites. Use it as a treat to see which he likes.

Some people do feed raw. I don't but I know if u want to u need to do a lot of research first and make sure u r doing it correctly, there is also premade raw u can buy.

I would also suggest making the kibble more fun. My Trixie can be a brat over food. I use her kibble for training. She seems far more interested in eating then. Recall games r fun where u toss a kibble have them go get it and then call them back to u and give them a bunch of kibbles. It may be worth trying if u notice he will eat of from your hand but not if left in the dish.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
880 Posts
First of all, you shouldn't be feeding rice. Rice has grains and can upset a tummy even more, but that isn't the case for all dogs. Second of all, she might have an upset tummy, but maybe she's an unenthusiastic eater. Ace doesn't gobble his food down. We often need to try to get him to eat by cuddling him after eating his food, and we often run around and play after he uses the bathroom.

Third of all, if the dog doesn't want to eat, don't make it other foods. Feeding your dog other foods besides dog food teaches them that they don't have to eat their food. They'll get food anyways, and something that tastes better.

He might have intolerance to puppy food, and some of the nutrients are too rich, so you should see if switching foods might work, but, he might also have something more serious going on. I obviously can't diagnose a dog over the internet, but it could be something more serious than just not liking his food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our pup is also a fussy eater. He'll sniff his food and walk away, returning later to eat bit by bit. I've never heard of egg and rice before, only rice with shredded, boiled chicken. I agree with Eckokitten. Mix the old food with the new food when you are changing brands, also, due to being located in Mexico and having zero idea of what exists in the UK market, have you tried Royal Canin? It's supposedly the best and our dog loves it (finally).

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Rice is fine - especially for tummy upset. One of mine is very picky and it does get worrisome with a small puppy. I monitor her and if she doesn't eat well for a couple says I will sprinkle in something she likes---not just a whole dish of it. Try to find a doggie store ( local) with sample bags. We did a taste test one day and I learned she loves rabbit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much indeed for all the advice. It's so worrying when they are not well.

It has been wonderful seeing Teddy enjoy his food so much this last couple of days. He's on top form again, bouncing around everywhere and loving everyone!

Just spoken to the vet, and she thinks that rice is fine, and that Teddy just has a sensitivity to the puppy foods we've tried so far, so shes recommended a "sensitive digestion" puppy food called Pro Plan Salmon and Rice. She suggests gradually over a 2 week period, switching over to it from the egg and rice, which echoes everyone's advice here...

And I'll definitely start making the kibble fun... a great idea.

I'm very relieved to have input from so many people :) Thank You!

·
Registered
945 Posts
My dog also seems rather bored by James Wellbeloved and needs added treats to eat it. I don't have control of what she's fed, but if I did I'd be trying this brand Dog Dry Food | Barking Heads They have a variety of puppy options and a special formula for picky eaters, too.

I hope the Pro Plan works out for you!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
ok i have a shih tzu x and may i say this is normal for a shih tzu puppy? Jessie was a nightmare to get to eat her food nope not intrested tried different ones still no luck UNTIL i stopped free feeding her and put her on a schedule after 10 mins if didnt eat picked it up and wait till 5pm. She eventually ate and now begs for her breakfast and dinner and gobbles it down like no tommorow!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good that she's doing better! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone. Your comments and advice have been very helpful.

Delighted to report that Teddy is doing very well. He still needs a little bit of encouragement at breakfast time for some reason, but he's eating a good amount daily now, thank heavens, with no sickness and the rear end seems fine too :)

One lady suggested making his kibble fun... this is working very well indeed. Teddy loves a mystery, and loves to play, so he is really enjoying "finding" his kibble when I "hide" it!

Encouraging to hear that fussiness is common in ShihTzus... I guess I need to worry less and play more!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts