Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright were do I begin...
The past few months I have been actively researching the pharaoh hound.
Mainly because I want a dog that I can run, hike and bike with but still be a happy apartment dog.
This will be my first dog and because of that I would rather pay the extra money to a breeder and get a healthy, predictable pet. I would consider rescuing in the breed if it were an adult but prefer a youngling or puppy.

I have been looking at all the breeders I could find in North America and settled on contacting two of them. I haven't reached the point of asking to be on the waiting list yet and really just wanted to get to know about their dogs and their lifestyles. They contacted me back saying to feel free but that's the last I have heard.
Part of me dosn't know if I should back off or try to talk to them more? Or move on?
So can any breeders or dog owners have any suggestions what I should do next?

I tried posting this on dogster but since they are closing the forum I don't think anyone saw/wanted to get involved.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I think it really depends on when they are having the next litter. If I were you, I'd send another email asking about their adoption policy, if they have a purchase agreement, etc.
When I got Merlin, I emailed first to ask the usual, "Would this breed be a good fit for me?" Since she had a litter at the time I emailed her, I called her after her email response to discuss picking up Merlin, payment, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, I have mainly been trying to learn about their ability to mesh into my life not so much their process of adoption.
The only thing is that litters are far and few inbetween so it makes it a little more difficult.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am so sorry that I never replied! I must not have subscribed to this particular thread. All of the dogs I've adopted have been "whirlwind" adoptions. Once I decided I wanted a dog and had done mt reaearch, I specifically looked for breeders that had puppies available either immediately or very soon.
Honestly, I would keep an open dialogue with the breeders. If you tell them that you're interested in eventually adopting, they'll be less likely to feel as though you're bugging them. When it comes time to whelp, it'll be more likely they'll remember you. If you tell them what you're looking for they might also screen puppies for you that they think would be a good match.
I hope everything is going well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts