Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

So the situation with the chihuahua puppies is stressing me out. Esther the bigger of the two has found a new home. She went to it yesterday in fact and I have been getting almost non-stop text messages with pictures about how much they love her. Which is just amazing! I hope it never stops.

The situation that is causing me grief is her sister. Her darling, vocal, opinionated brat of a sister who has no problem pouncing our 20lb cats and going up to Amelia or Coraline and biting them on the nose while bouncing around trying to get them to play with her.

She is only allowed to interact with them when she is on the couch and being protected from accidental squashings.

Anyway - when we first got her I named her Gloria because I just needed something to call her. Since then my youngest has renamed her Kiki - and has grown incredibly attached to her. That puppy goes everywhere with her - she has even tried to sneak her into the bathtub with her and admittedly I have grown pretty attached to her as well.

Now most people would be like "well just keep her!" and that would be that. However my worry is that we cannot provide a good home for her. That is always my first concern with any dog. We have two, soon to be three large sight hounds.

Would it really be wise to keep a dog that will be under 5lbs full grown? what would you do?

Also - she knows how to WORK It. She has charmed everyone in the household including my little dog hating husband. I want what is best for her though and are we really that?

People tell me I am over thinking it but if you do not think about things ... you end up having to rehome dogs.

I am not sure what we will ultimately end up doing but I'd love to hear some opinions about it. This is the kindest forum I have been a part of and I value your input!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd probably keep her, but then I have a HUGE problem with giving up animals I've become attached to. I'm the one who knew she couldn't keep the cat she rescued, had no intention of keeping it, knew not to get attached, then left the vets office crying because I had to leave him their since he was chipped and the owner wanted him back. So if there is any possible way to keep a dog or cat I tend to do so.

Once she gets bigger her soliciting the dogs to play like that will likely lessen a great deal. Also the bigger dogs will be older and likely to be more gentle. You can also train boundaries, y'all can play like this, but not like that. And use a positive interrupter, or time outs when they are getting to wound up. Even once they're grown I'd still separate the Chi from them when you're not home, since I err on the side of caution.

I've seen a Chi living at a pit bull sanctuary, he ruled the roost. I saw a youtube of a great dane playing with a Chi, it was adorable and the little guy was perfectly safe. I've seen another one of a Min Pin lording it over a doberman, and another of a Chi using a great dane as a pillow. I think your little girl will be fine should you decide to keep her.

The thing to question is do you have the time and energy for her. She won't cost much to feed, I can feed my 11 lb boy on only $14 a month if I get the more expensive formula, but she will be another dog that needs vet care, it is cheaper with the preventatives and such but anything else is about the same as it'd cost any other dog. She'll need to be trained just like your bigger dogs, and you'll have to modify your training a bit, I tend to sit on the floor with my little guy since it's the easiest way to get him the treats.

Here's the video of the great dane playing with the Chi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkuD_Ij-HE

Here's the one of the Chi using the Great Dane as a bed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lJ0nPSpqsw

This one has a Dobbie and Min Pin playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZbPHT7i7YY

·
Registered
140 Posts
If Kiki was a nervous pup , I would say find a new home for her but she sounds like a well adjusted pup and able to cope with large dogs.
I think you have a great home for her because you treat her like a normal sized dog.
I have a chi x breed and she weighs about 5lbs and I have a JRTx and I treat them the same , she is a real live wire ! She runs like the wind and keeps up with all the bigger dogs.
The only thing I have to be careful about is when I sit down on the sofa , to check she is not under a cushion or the throw. :D

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
She's growing up with big dogs. I had a JRT puppy who grew up with 3 energetic big dogs. Sure I worried that he'd get hurt and he did get rolled a few times when a big dog accidentally ran over him. He never got seriously hurt (except his pride) and learned to stay out of the way when the big dogs were running around.

He was the first small dog I'd ever owned and I questioned my sanity when he was a tiny pup. Best decision I ever made. I tell you I loved his portability, his spunky attitude and his ability to snuggle. He was an absolute joy and I miss him every day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you've answered your own question. Your daughter loves her and has grown very fond of her. You love her and even your husband likes her. Kiki doesn't have a problem co-existing with your animals and feels at ease and at home. You see large and small dogs co-existing together all the time and most large dogs will protect a smaller dog. Your family obviously love animals, costs to keep little dogs are a lot less and you would obviously provide a good home and care for her. What more do I need to say.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd keep her were it me, but then again, it's hard for me to say no to another animal. She sounds like she gets on well in your household and if everybody including your husband loves her and you can afford to care for her, then it makes plenty of sense to keep her. I'm sure as she gets older you'll be able to let her out unsupervised w your other dogs, maybe not all day, but depending on the dogs that might work too. Best of luck either keeping her or finding her a home.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
906 Posts
Most dogs understand differences in size, and will adjust their play accordingly. My BF describes Bear - a 140 lb Rottweiler, offering to play with a very small dog, maybe a chi or maltese, I can't remember. Bear got as low as he could on his play bow, chin on the ground and bounced around the dog, but at a bit of a distance, obviously taking care not to hurt the dog. Boone has also played with small dogs, and on one occasion when he did bump the smaller dog, causing a yelp and he immediately stopped all play and went to make sure the littler dog was ok. Then they resumed playing.

Bear also outweighs Boone by almost 100 lbs, and they have often played together, wrestling very exuberantly, with Boone giving it his all and Bear holding him off with barely an effort.

This isn't to say that accidents can't or won't happen with different sized dogs, but I think that's true even with equally-sized dogs. Supervision would certainly be key in this instance, and perhaps keeping the play sessions more one-on-one.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I foster kittens and I know how hard it is to give some of them up when it is time. Sometimes it is really difficult. I only have one foster failure though and there were other things involved that made me keep her.

I think it is good that you are thinking about it and weighing the pros and cons. Thats smart!

I will say I have a chi/poodle mix. When she was a puppy she was about 6-7lbs and she was best friends with my sisters husky and also played with a huge lab all the time. She would wrestle and play tug a war- which involved her being dragged around lol. She was fine!

Smaller dogs do mean you have to be a bit more careful. But its not that much to worry about IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I don't think the concern should be will she adapt to living with big dogs, because growing up with big dogs she will learn to stand her ground or be ready for the consequence. I think the real concern is are you really prepared to have 4 dogs in the house?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It sounds like you guys are going to be pretty busy if you get another borzoi, honestly. If it were me, I'd say either keep the chi or get the borzoi.

The good news is that you guys have shown the chi lots of love and attention. She's got a spunky attitude and is very charming. I think she'd be well-suited to quite a few homes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As far as size goes, as long as their interactions are supervised (no leaving the Chi alone with the large dogs) there shouldn’t be an issue unless you encounter an issue with the larger dogs not respecting her size and playing with her accordingly. Which is possible but so far it sounds fine.
My only other concern would be the borzoi puppy and your other future puppy growing up to have a high prey drive and being unable to control themselves in the house specifically. This is a possibility but not a certainty! And it’s still possible to counter condition to an extent. You just won’t know until all your sighthounds are grown. (Though honestly I don’t know how prey driven borzois tend to be on average. Maybe it’s something to talk to the breeder/rescue/etc about the specific puppy you’ll be getting).
I also would be careful about letting the little one play outside with the large dogs. Just because there is more space to build up speed, etc. And maybe only one large dog playing with her until you know how they interact better, and indefinitely if necessary.
But, I kept a greyhound with my mom’s 5 lb Chi and they did absolutely great together. And his best friend was my sister’s 10 lb Chi mix. So of course it can be done!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We still have not made a decision yet but I appreciate all the advice! It may take me a little while to figure out what feels right.

Though we have been working on her and she is a very smart puppy. She has so far learned "Sit" "down" "leave it" and we are working on "wait" and "over" since she likes to roll over naturally.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you again for all of the advice! after a lot of thinking about it and weighing pros and cons we have decided to let Kiki go to another home. We love her very much but feel that it is better for her to go live somewhere more small dog friendly

She has a lot of energy and a ton of potential and it isn't fair having to keep her crated so much of the time.

Plus with the two Borzoi puppies it is very hard to find the time to give everyone everything that they need.

I am sure her lovely new owners (Who will be getting her later this week) will continue to send me tons of pictures.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Most small dogs rule the roost. I have seen a chi boss a great dane around. If the little one is feisty I would not worry so mush about her. If you think she fits into your home I would keep her.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Sounds like you made a good, well thought out decision. I love it when that happens. You know best what's best for you, your family and your existing dogs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blargh! so Kiki went home for one day - then came back because the lady who adopted her who seemed perfect ...well was perfect except she has only had haired breeds before and broke out in hives and could not breath after getting Kiki home.

So she is back! I will be continuing to pursue a good home for her but man it was hard placing her the first time and my kids are really putting the pressure on!

Sometimes being the responsible adult just sucks.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have an aunt who has since the 1970's owned teacup yorkies...just one at a time...when one passed away she would go get another one. Her husband likes to hunt and he usually had 2 wirehaired Griffons. These are large dogs, about 6o to 70 pounds. So...given the decade...there was always a different combo of Griffons and a yorkie in their home.

In all cases, their dogs got along, and usually for some reason her yorkies ended up being 'the boss' of the bigger dogs.

I suppose personality of the dogs involved will determine if keeping a very small dog around bigger dogs is a wise thing to do. In 35 plus years my aunt never had any of her small yorkies bit or even hurt by the big dogs accidentally stepping on one, and her little dogs would run around the house and follow her all the time. The bigger dogs seemed more content to just lay there and watch her go about her house routines. : ) So maybe that's one of the reasons too.

Stormy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts