Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a had my little boxador for about 2 weeks now got him when he was 8 weeks old. When we got him we was told he was on asda own brand puppy wet meat and puppy milk. We put him on butchers puppy wet meat and water but wanted to put him onto dry food so started incorporating that into his food to try and wean him off the meat it's pedigree puppy we have been giving him. We have since been to the vets for his first vaccination and worming tablets and vet has told us to change his dry food to Royal canin pediatric junior so we went and bought that for him. How would I go about changing the pedigree to Royal canin I want to keep him on the wet meat too as he is underweight also. Any help would be much appreciated. Also his poo has been soft since he was vaccinated and wormed is there any concern there?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
I have a had my little boxador for about 2 weeks now got him when he was 8 weeks old. When we got him we was told he was on asda own brand puppy wet meat and puppy milk. We put him on butchers puppy wet meat and water but wanted to put him onto dry food so started incorporating that into his food to try and wean him off the meat it's pedigree puppy we have been giving him. We have since been to the vets for his first vaccination and worming tablets and vet has told us to change his dry food to Royal canin pediatric junior so we went and bought that for him. How would I go about changing the pedigree to Royal canin I want to keep him on the wet meat too as he is underweight also. Any help would be much appreciated. Also his poo has been soft since he was vaccinated and wormed is there any concern there?
I wouldnt feed the royal canin sorry to say the ingredients for uk and nz are disgusting and id get my money back and stick to what your feeding for time being while you research

the food you got from vet ingredients from royal canin uk site

COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry protein, maize, animal fats, dehydrated pork protein, rice, wheat flour, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, minerals, vegetable fibres, wheat gluten*, soya oil, fish oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), borage oil, marigold extract (source of lutein).

ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 17600 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 40 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.1 mg, E4 (Copper): 9 mg, E5 (Manganese): 53 mg, E6 (Zinc): 173 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.06 mg - Preservatives - Antioxidants.

ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 29% - Fat content: 20% - Crude ash: 6.8% - Crude fibres: 2.4%.

*L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

here is wainwrights turkey and rice puppy ingredients from petsathome site

Composition and Nutrition: Ingredient(s): Turkey (33%) (Turkey Meat Meal, Turkey Gravy), Brown Rice (26%), Barley (15%), Potato Protein (9%), Rapeseed Oil (7%), Whole Linseed (4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (4%), Alfalfa (1%), Minerals (includes Kelp 250mg/kg, Yucca Extract 200mg/kg, Marigold Meal 50mg/kg, Rosemary Extract 5mg/kg), Seaweed (0.4%). Additives: Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A 21,000IU/kg, Vitamin D3 2,000IU/kg, Vitamin E (a ?+? Tocopherol) 500mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 200mg/kg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 167mg/kg, Manganese Oxide 156mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 97mg/kg, Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 30mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 9mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.3mg/kg. Calcium 2.02mg/kg, Phosphorous 0.97mg/kg, Omega 6 4.83mg/kg, Omega 3 1.14mg/kg. Typical Analysis: Protein 30%, Crude Fibre 3%, Oils and Fats 14%, Crude Ash 7%, Moisture 10%.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Also ive known vets tell me themselves they only get a hour or two education on nutrition and because hills and royal canin fund their vet school fees they are obliged to sell those foods. vets generally dont know much about nutrition unless they have done the homework and research. the usa ingredients are much nicer for royal canin

Also i went over in april last year to UK and helped my best friend get her chihauha some food he would eat, he was on barkers, asda trays etc. we had a good look at petsathome and from the moment it was put down in front of him(the wainwrights grain free turkey) he scoffed it down! he also had soft/liquid poop which my best friend got sick of and it really helped her little dog and since then she has learnt not to ask vets for advice on nutrition. she was so angry and annoyed at the vets for telling her what to feed him and he wouldnt eat it then i help her get a high quality food her dog loves and since eats it all up! she was angry but happy he is eating.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Search around some more for something better. Vets know very little about nutrition. Like was said above, they get very little of that in school, and what they do get is funded by Hills, purina etc.....

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
You might be better off with a food like orijen. The pedigree is just fillers no real value. Orijen is lots of real meat to make your puppy grow strong and lean. The other just make them fat.
Puppy | Orijen

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if you are even open to this, but I have had dogs for a long time and never have I regretted putting one on raw. There is a giant, visible difference in coat, energy, stools, health, etc...

For a puppy I usually do either turkey or chicken in the food processor with goats milk and an egg (shell and all) and give it to them. Since he isn't super young he could crunch on some with smaller bones, my current pup was crunching down chicken backs at ten weeks.

If you have a local butcher they are always willing to give you scraps which I have had great success with. They are not only experts in meat, but they can drive prices down WAY low and are willing to get you almost anything you want. Me personally, I just get the scraps and the dogs get what they get - They go CRAZY if I bring home liver. :D

Raw Fed Dogs - Natural Prey Model Rawfeeding Diet

Happier, healthier pups - Much to the spite of our local vet, who when I told about my raw feeding was disgusted and instead told me to "Get a bag of food from our office when you leave" - And when I did leave, guess what they were selling in the lobby? Eukanuba. Gross. Goes to show not all vets are up to par on their nutrition facts.

Good luck with your pup! Hope you find something that works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Royal Canin is a much better option than Pedigree, and far far better than the rubbish you get at ASDA (avoid at all costs if you want your pup to be healthy).

Royal Canin is mostly corn and has a significantly inflated price tag. As Crazy said, vets receive very little training on nutrition, and it's heavily influenced by corporate brands who even provide the training and coursework.

Applaws is a pretty good UK food so check that one out.

I'm a pet nutritionist and review foods on petfoodratings.org and petfoodreviews.com.au (Australia).

here is wainwrights turkey and rice puppy ingredients from petsathome site

Composition and Nutrition: Ingredient(s): Turkey (33%) (Turkey Meat Meal, Turkey Gravy), Brown Rice (26%), Barley (15%), Potato Protein (9%), Rapeseed Oil (7%), Whole Linseed (4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (4%), Alfalfa (1%), Minerals (includes Kelp 250mg/kg, Yucca Extract 200mg/kg, Marigold Meal 50mg/kg, Rosemary Extract 5mg/kg), Seaweed (0.4%). Additives: Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A 21,000IU/kg, Vitamin D3 2,000IU/kg, Vitamin E (a ?+? Tocopherol) 500mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 200mg/kg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 167mg/kg, Manganese Oxide 156mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 97mg/kg, Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 30mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 9mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.3mg/kg. Calcium 2.02mg/kg, Phosphorous 0.97mg/kg, Omega 6 4.83mg/kg, Omega 3 1.14mg/kg. Typical Analysis: Protein 30%, Crude Fibre 3%, Oils and Fats 14%, Crude Ash 7%, Moisture 10%.
Crazy ~ what you need to be aware of there is the food is predominantly brown rice and barley. Turkey has a very high water content which is significantly reduced in the kibble making process, which means that 33% will whittle down to a fraction of that, whereas the rice and barley will still be around 40% of the food.

That said it's still far better than Royal Canin :)

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
@pfeds the grain free one is alot better i admit but i was using that as an example because it was a pup formula and if i was to put my Jessie on a dry food that has no fruit or veg it would have to be that turkey and rice one. even then id be risking her skin going red etc as she doesnt agree with dry but raw. Id think if a dog had colitis that barley and rice would be ideal. Trouble with royal canin is what im bolding

COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry protein, maize, animal fats(no idea what animal fats btw eg chicken etc, dehydrated pork protein, rice, wheat flour, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, minerals, vegetable fibres, wheat gluten*, soya oil, fish oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), borage oil, marigold extract (source of lutein).

What good is dehydrated proteins? where is the actual meat otherwise its just full of grains and ive had experience with royal canin with my lab he stank so bad on it a week or two after putting him on now fresh he was healthier and didnt stink. Hence why the wainwrights even with the rice etc is alot healthier higher rating then royal canin. I am thankful my best friend didnt buy it the fact it has wheat and gluten in it had her questioning out loud eeewww why do they put those in dog food its just gross and bad. i had to agree with her.

If royal canin in NZ UK and Australia had ingredients like in the USA i wouldnt be so anti royal canin even hills science diet ingredients look better then royal canin to me! and i hate supermarket foods, hills , royal canin , eukanuba and any low quality ones. Yes in past i fed them and deeply ashamed i fed such terrible foods to my dogs which i remedied as soon as i on here learnt about what good dog food is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts