Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always get my puppy ham bones from tractor supply to chew on while I'm cleaning and doing chores, and he never does anything weird. He just lays down and quietly chews on the bone. Today I got him a beef trachea (I know, ew), and when I gave it to him he held it in his mouth and started whining. He wouldn't settle. He walked around and steady whined. Then he started digging in the comforter and it looked like he was hiding it. He finally took it into his kennel, set it down, and came back out to chew on his other bone. What the heck is his problem? He doesn't growl or get protective over treats or anything, and he would put it right in my hand. I just don't get why he seemed so uneasy.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
not sure could be saving it for later?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Some dogs just get very preoccupied with deciding what to do with their high-value chews: Do I eat it now, or save it for later? Where should I eat it? Where should I hide it?

My dog is one such dog. Give him something really good and... patterpatterpatterpatter... He will be running around the house for the next 20 minutes deciding what to do with it :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Some dogs just get very preoccupied with deciding what to do with their high-value chews: Do I eat it now, or save it for later? Where should I eat it? Where should I hide it?

My dog is one such dog. Give him something really good and... patterpatterpatterpatter... He will be running around the house for the next 20 minutes deciding what to do with it :D
^^^^
One of my dogs does this with squeeky toys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
He did not want it right now he already had a bone he was enjoying but he wanted to make sure no one took the new one. He made sure it was safe before he could go back and enjoy the old one.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Yes, I agree with the others. High value treat that he'd never had before prompted caching behavior (digging in the comforter to hide it)and a bit of anxiety over whether he'd get to keep it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was hilarious! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a "bad" thing he was doing. I was cracking up. He really looked concerned about what he was going to do with it lol.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I got Delilah one of those bones filled with meat stuff to keep her quiet in her crate at work. My plan backfired as she started making this terrible yodeling noise at it and trying to bury it under her blankets.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I always get my puppy ham bones from tractor supply to chew on while I'm cleaning and doing chores, and he never does anything weird. He just lays down and quietly chews on the bone. Today I got him a beef trachea (I know, ew), and when I gave it to him he held it in his mouth and started whining. He wouldn't settle. He walked around and steady whined. Then he started digging in the comforter and it looked like he was hiding it. He finally took it into his kennel, set it down, and came back out to chew on his other bone. What the heck is his problem? He doesn't growl or get protective over treats or anything, and he would put it right in my hand. I just don't get why he seemed so uneasy.
Dogs should not have ham bones ever, or chicken bones either. https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=dog+dies+from+ham+bone&oq=dog+dies+from+ham+bone&gs_l=hp.3..0i22i30.494076.502942.0.503200.24.20.0.4.4.0.116.1398.19j1.20.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..3.21.1176.0.gn0KMPWQee8 And never buy anything for your dog made in China as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dog does the same thing when she get a bone she things is really good. Nothing to worry about just very excited about it. But be more careful when trying to take the trachea away. it might be harder for them to give up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts