Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stella and I were just on our evening walk and the craziest thing happened and I'm really confused, and concerned.

We were only a block and a half from home, coming up to a corner. Stella was sniffing the grass at the corner, with me coming up behind her. Then all of a sudden she LEAPT back from the patch of grass and started one of the most intense displays of fear aggression I've ever seen. Her hackles were all up, she was barking wildly and doing that lunge/back up thing, and her tail was really tucked. I tried to distract her with cheese but she was still crazy scared and then bolted, dragging me all the way home. Stella has never acted that scared before in her life. She's rarely scared of anything (save for some leash reactivity.) But nothing like this!

All of this aimed at...nothing. There's nothing different about that corner or part of the neighborhood that was different. Her reaction was so bad I almost expected a bear to be behind the neighbor's house. Someone suggested to me that maybe she did smell a predator animal and that's why she freaked out. But...wow this was kind of scary.

Has anyone else had something like that happen? It really upset me and now Stella's finally just calm again.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Yes it happens with my girl at the park. She picks up some scents sometimes that scare her right back into the car to go home. She literally drags me back to the car. Her hair also stands up to show she is scared. This only happens once in a while but I just have to take her home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.