Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:)

I decided to adopt a dog and I've been in touch with a local shelter.
I fell in love with this little girl she has the hugest ears :D

She's around 3 months old now.
They said she will be medium sized. I know it's difficult to tell from photos but from your experience how big you think I should expect her to be in terms of weight and size?

Thanks :) (oh, and if you have any names suggestions I'd appreciate it. I was thinking of Maya, Toffee, Daya, Yuma)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would estimate between 50-70 pounds. Look at her paws compared to her body. The bigger the paws the bigger the dog.

I like the name Maya :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
She's beautifull, I quite like the name Daya

She looks like she has some gsd or other shepherd in her, so I would agree with medium. I would say between medium to medium-large.
How much does she weigh at 3 months currently?

·
Registered
406 Posts
She's adorable! Do you know how much she weighs now? If you double her weight at 4 months of age, you'll come up with a rough idea of what her adult weight will be (some people say do it at 3 months). Example- at 4 months, our Lab/English Setter mix was 40 pounds. His adult weight was 75 pounds. At 17 weeks, our Lab was 30 1/2 pounds. He matured to 68 pounds.

...Look at her paws compared to her body. The bigger the paws the bigger the dog...
That's not very accurate. Everyone thought both of the dogs I mentioned above were going to be huge because of their paws, and they were average sized for their breed/breed mix.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd second the idea that paw size doesn't always relate to adult size of dog. I know it's a generally reasonable idea that the bigger the puppy paws, the bigger the dog, but my childhood dog--a mix from a farm--had large front paws at eight weeks and continued to have large front paws, but as an adult he was always right around the eighteen to twenty pound range. Now, we did have the advantage of seeing at least the mother dog, who was around that size too, and he was some sort of terrier mix who used those large front paws to dig, but he never did grow into his paws, so to speak.

I also agree that there appears to be some German shepherd in that pup, if that gives you some idea of how big she will get. But then, I also don't know if you're judging "big" by weight or height or some combination of both. Some taller breeds aren't built to carry as much weight and some smaller dogs can be deceptively heavy (and I mean normally, not because they're overweight).

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Gosh is she ever cute. I would guesstimate between 60-75 lbs. She's not going to be small for sure. Have fun with her.

And welcome to our Forum, thanks for joining us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
remember this puppy?

Hi! It's been 5 months since I wrote this thread. I adopted this gorgeous girl and named her Maya :)

Funny thing is, she's turning out to be quite small. She's now around 8 to 9 months old and she weighs 16kg (35 pounds). Her height at the shoulder is around 50-52 cm (20 inches i guess?...sorry, I'm Italian:)).

Anyway I was wondering if you think she might have stopped growing already or how bigger should I expect her to become. I post a recent picture :)

IMG_4601.jpg

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
She'll probably grow a little more but likely won't get more than 45 lbs. Such big ears!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, her ears are what I fell in love with at first :D

Ok, so I'll expect her to fill out a bit but not grow too much. It's so weird because if you look at her, the way she walks, her colors, everything actually, she really looks a lot like a German Shepherd... but half the size... God knows what breeds she's crossed with :D

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts