Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I imagine this question gets asked a lot and there's no real 'right' answer... But what long distance running dog is best for me?
I'm currently in college and also train/ teach Thai boxing. I've had experience looking after a small dog and my neighbours ridgeback which I spent a lot of my free time with walking and looking after.
I am an only child with no other pets and no young family members.
I spend about 3 hours early in the morning in the college (round the corner from my house)4 times a week and 3 hours in the gym 3 times a week. Although I would prefer a dog that doesn't mind just lounging Round in the house as it is no very big and my garden isn't the biggest.
When I run I run about 8-10 miles. I would really prefer a dog with short/ no hair.
Thank you for anyone's help and taking the time to answer :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think a greyhound would be perfect for you, maybe even a retired racer?
They are very fit and enjoy running but are also quite the couch potato!

I believe rhodesian ridgebacks are also quite athletic.

The thing you will have to remember though is that with a puppy you will have to wait probably another two years or more before it can run that distance with you. Too much excercise can damage their bodies. Maybe an adult dog is best for you, and even at that it will have to get fit just like a human would :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
507 Posts
How fast do you run? A dog needs to stretch his legs, which a long legged dog will not do when jogging beside you. No dog runs or jogs for an eight mile stretch. They, run, then jog, then lie down. Dash for a half mile, sit, jog, trot, walk, lie down. A sled dog could jog with you, but they are known runners and if he was ever off leash he would be gone. A Siberian husky's temperament and needs vary widely now since they have been bred for the pet market for over thirty years.

If you changed the way you run, a field dog could keep up with you (setter or pointer). I would recommend jogging with him to a park, letting him run like mad while you do your thing, always keeping an eye on him, then playing a game because they also need mental stimulation. You could play fetch, for instance and run at a human's pace while your dog really stretches his legs in hard running. Then, take him home and go for a run in the late afternoon or evening, same routine. It's not enough to have a dog that could keep up with you, you need one that wants to stay near you.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
GREYHOUND! They can then become couch potatoes at home, lots of rescues, they are the sweetest dogs! A viszla loves to run too....but you might want to read on them....they don't like to be separated from their owner/s...velcro dog!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A Greyhound would seem like a good choice as far as liking to run but being to able to relax around the house, i'm not sure they are good for long-distance running like you do. They are more of sprinters, and I could be wrong, but 8-10 miles seems to me to be a bit too much for a Greyhound.

Ridgebacks are very athletic, but sometimes aren't good for first-time large dog owners, per se. Though if you feel you've gained enough experience through the time you've spent with your neighbor's Ridgeback, I think it could be good fit. :)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Wouldn't every dog have their paws torn up by running 10 miles? Just curious...our Chloe ran 4 miles one day and we had to doctor her paws for several weeks bec. of it. good point about the sprinting versus long distance...Vizsla's are medium size, run like ridgebacks....but get bored and can be destructive bec. of it...

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Dalmatians are very popular running companions.

You may also want to consider labs and goldens. There is a married couple in my neighborhood who run marathons with their goldens. And one of my husband's friends has a working line lab that runs 8+ miles a day. Many of the other sporting breeds (Weimaraner, Visla, setters, etc.) and herding breeds are decent possibilities as well.

Though just like with humans you'll likely need to build endurance and not expect a dog to be able to run that distance right fomr day one.:)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I was going to suggest a dalmation, but Kmes beat me to it :D Dal's are very versatile and have a lot of stamina; this is great for long distance/endurance running.

Another good long distance running breed is the husky. Huskies from working lines have a unique physiology that allows them to pull a sled long distances. Though the unfortunate thing is that they do have quite the coat, and if you're in a hot region of the country, might not be a good choice.

Other breeds that come to mind: Rhodesian ridgebacks, Vislas, standard poodles, weimeraners, and pointers.

There's also the border collie...They certainly have the energy, but they tend to require mental exercise in addition to physical exercise.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think it might be difficult to find a dog that will enjoy running 10 miles, but will then just sit around at home on the days you're not running.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Yep, labs and goldens love to run! Just keep checking their paws if it's a long distance...they can get torn up - like all dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts