Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Shelby
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I'm thinking of getting a retractable lead for my dog Shelby... Are there any good ones for a staffy that people recommend?

(She's pretty strong & loves to explore and sniff everywhere)

Thank you! 馃悤

Registered
Firstly train your dog to walk on a normal lead. Once they have the hang of that you can possibly progress to a retractable.
A few things.
Buy a reputable brand , yes it will cost more but your dogs life may depend on it.
Make sure you dont just buy for your dogs weight but your dogs pulling weight, my beagle is 20kilos his lead is for a 50 kilo dog because he can pull like a train. I dont want him over straining the lead mechanism.

Never use the retracable near roads or other people /dogs, 99% of accidents with these leads are user error so pratice like mad before you take your dog out on it and listen to all the advice provided with the lead.
Never grab the tape with your bare hand, consider using a saftey wrist strap so that if you do drop the lead or have it yanked out of your hand you are still attached.

Remember to regularly check the entire length of the tape for any nicks fraying or other damage,.

Super Moderator
And only ever attach it to a harness, never a collar. Because when the dog builds up speed running out, he won't know that he is about to reach the end and the sudden stop could seriously injure his throat, trachea, or neck

Registered
Shelby
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes... important ( I forgot that bit...)
Firstly train your dog to walk on a normal lead. Once they have the hang of that you can possibly progress to a retractable.
A few things.
Buy a reputable brand , yes it will cost more but your dogs life may depend on it.
Make sure you dont just buy for your dogs weight but your dogs pulling weight, my beagle is 20kilos his lead is for a 50 kilo dog because he can pull like a train. I dont want him over straining the lead mechanism.

Never use the retracable near roads or other people /dogs, 99% of accidents with these leads are user error so pratice like mad before you take your dog out on it and listen to all the advice provided with the lead.
Never grab the tape with your bare hand, consider using a saftey wrist strap so that if you do drop the lead or have it yanked out of your hand you are still attached.

Remember to regularly check the entire length of the tape for any nicks fraying or other damage,.
Okay thank you so much!! Im still trying to train her on the lead her pulling has calmed down a lot however it comes back as soon as she sees a dog or a distraction. Im trying to teach her to communicate with me more on walks but its so difficult i dont know what to do 馃槀

Registered
Shelby
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And only ever attach it to a harness, never a collar. Because when the dog builds up speed running out, he won't know that he is about to reach the end and the sudden stop could seriously injure his throat, trachea, or neck
Yasssss i always walk my dog on a harness but i feel like it adds to the concept of being able to pull me (if that makes sense) whereas with a collar they learn to hold back a bit? I dont know

Super Moderator
A harness doesn't train your dog to pull or not pull, it's your training that teaches her loose lead walking.

There are several things you can try, see what works best.

One of the simplest is that as soon as there is tension on the lead, stop. When the dog relaxes back, move forward. This method will take a lot if stop-starting, but you have to be 100% consistent - every tension, every person, every time. So your first walks won't be 鈥漺alks鈥. You won't get anywhere. But the more consistent you are, the sooner the penny will drop.

Second, you can use a similar technique but make it even clearer with a clicker. If you need help on using a clicker, look at this thread - Behavior Diagnosis

Then, applying it to walks, as soon as the dog is in exactly the right position (say, shoulder by your knee), mark that position with a click, and reward.

Third, dogs have an instinct to pull (as do all restrained creatures, it is called oppositional reflex if you like to read the science behind these things). So teaching them to relax to lead pressure helps. This video explains it well.

Registered
Shelby
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A harness doesn't train your dog to pull or not pull, it's your training that teaches her loose lead walking.

There are several things you can try, see what works best.

One of the simplest is that as soon as there is tension on the lead, stop. When the dog relaxes back, move forward. This method will take a lot if stop-starting, but you have to be 100% consistent - every tension, every person, every time. So your first walks won't be 鈥漺alks鈥. You won't get anywhere. But the more consistent you are, the sooner the penny will drop.

Second, you can use a similar technique but make it even clearer with a clicker. If you need help on using a clicker, look at this thread - Behavior Diagnosis

Then, applying it to walks, as soon as the dog is in exactly the right position (say, shoulder by your knee), mark that position with a click, and reward.

Third, dogs have an instinct to pull (as do all restrained creatures, it is called oppositional reflex if you like to read the science behind these things). So teaching them to relax to lead pressure helps. This video explains it well.

Thank you so much!!! I鈥檓 not the best with being patient but these tips seem great! I currently have a clicker so ill look into that also.

I think her biggest problem is distractions, she goes on a walk and its like tunnel vision. Some days she will be great, some days she acts like im not there :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts