Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Guys, you know people say that a good way to get to know a breed is by asking breed owners about them? Well what kind of questions could you ask?

Thanks Ahead!:thumbsup::);)

Dobergirl

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
How much exercise do they need?
What games do they enjoy playing?
How long did it take to housetrain, leash train and obedience train?
What are they like with other dogs, with cats or other pets?
What are they like with children?
Do they like chasing down other animals?
Will they follow a scent trail no matter what?
Can they be trusted off leash or will the first rabbit that goes by take them with it? How much affection do they like? What kind?
Are they soft (very affected by tone of voice and corrections)?
What are there problem solving skills like (is this a dog that can learn to open doors and get into the fridge)?
Do they obey commands just because you give them, or do they need more motivation?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Those are some good ones. You could also ask how long is the puppy stage (not all breeds are the same in the age of showing puppy behavior), are they chewers, what about barkers, what about digging, grooming needs, protective instincts, ask about proper breed temperament vs temperament faults.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
All of the above, but also what were they originally bred for/to do. That will give a new buyer a great deal of knowledge as to what one might expect from the breed in general.

It's a good idea for anyone venturing into a new breed, to do a lot of homework before actually seeking out a dog.

Lizzie

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I was going to say that if you asked all those questions and they don't know or don't want to explain it to you, run the other way and find another breeder who is willing to tell you everything about their breed of dog. ^_^ All great questions by the way.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I regularly have people to my home to meet and greet my dogs if they're interested in the breed; and not people who want a puppy from me, either, just people that just want to learn. It's great to have a one on one with them so they can meet the dogs and ask all the questions they like. I also have a puppy pack that covers everything about breed traits and puppies.

I'd go to a Champion show where there are breed classes so you can talk to people who have owned the breed for years, and will know them inside out. Then you can talk about who's planning a litter, and meet their dogs. There's East of England on the 7th, that's in Peterborough. Then there's Richmond in September, or Birmingham in August or September, can't remember. Check the breed club website too and see if there are any fun days or breed specific club shows you can go to. :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Will check that out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.