Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a puppy a couple months ago because my 10 month old German shepherd needed a friend. This girl was giving this white puppy away and she told me he is half husky, half white shepherd. Well he has grown like a weed. He is 4 months old now and his color has been rapidly changing. He has very different behavior from other dogs I have had. He's not good at listening, he will rip food out of my hand if im not paying attention, once he's drinking water or eating something he isn't supposed to its almost impossible to pull him away. My shepherd was the same as all puppies are but after this amount of time I feel this dog should be somewhat learning from me desperately trying to get him to obey by now. My shepherd is a saint! I'm just curious honestly at this point if he has some wolf hybrid in him so that I can do the proper research how to train him to listen to some commands. He's very close to me and loving (he will not cuddle though like my shepherd), but if we go to the dog park he hides between my legs when other dogs come around or people. He's only comfortable at home and I also have cats and he's very curious about them. He won't go by anyone he doesn't know. I'm attaching a picture of him. He is about 3.5 months old in this picture and my shepherd is nearly a year...any ideas?

·
Registered
785 Posts
His whole world has turned upside down. Twice. He needs to settle still. I would start building his confidence up (tug play- see michael ellis on you tube style). Forget everthing about dog training and learn to teach focus and engagement. Apart from the nerves, all that pushy attitude is what i want. This is redeemable by building relationship with dog.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Gosh, i hope not.

sorry, the photo didn't attach properly. :( Could U try again?

Yes, his behavior sounds like a wolf-hybrid; does he try to "help" with human projects U're doing, or do his own thing?

Dog-pups want to get involved in practically anything we're currently doing; hybrids are independent & self-directed, particularly if they're 50% or more wolf.
Hybrids with higher fractions of dog ancestry [75% dog & up] are more-likely to be more affiliative.

Dog-pups tag along at home, follow us about, watch our activities with interest, & often try to participate -
hybrids wander in & out of human-occupied rooms, & are quite content to do what THEY want to do, while we're busy with something.

- terry

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
spacing pups in the same household

BTW, i know this is after the fact, but for anyone else reading this thread, the recommended gap between pups in the household is a full YEAR -
so the previous pup is at least 14-MO B4 U consider bringing another pup home, & then, only if the former puppy is doing well in their training; they've got a good solid repertoire of cued behaviors, they're either sociable with other dogs or very tolerant & civil, they're either human-sociable or aloof but calm around strangers, & so on.

If the most-recent pup is having any behavioral issues, i'd try to fix them 1st B4 bringing home another time-sucking, needy, bottomless-pit-for-attn in the form of a new puppy. :D No matter how broody U get, remind yerself that Ur responsibility is to the dog U already have.
Even tho puppy-breath & puppy play can be magnetizing, i'd keep a firm grip on my emotions & my wallet. :p

- terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts