Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I personally don't like the long leads like the second link you posted.

I have no experience with a "bungee" lead like the first one. I just use a basic slip line like the one in the picture below. I've also put a lot of hours into training the dog not to pull on the line, which really pays off if you have the patience for it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
We have several leads for our dogs , the automatic type for walks locally where the dogs are in a park but are not allowed off lead, then we have long lines for the beach or common and we have short leads for vet visits etc.

Its doesnt hurt to have more than one type of lead so that you are prepared for every situation.

Oh and problem isnt with flexi leads but with the idiots holding them sorry but about 90% of people have no idea how to use them properly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh and problem isnt with flexi leads but with the idiots holding them sorry but about 90% of people have no idea how to use them properly.
Well.... what I see locally are indeed two types of users. There are the ones with well behaved dogs that need to be able to roam out onto the grass and do their thing when the owner doesn't want to go with them and risk stepping in poop. The other ones are ones that never taught their dogs to stay close and are basically flying furry 4 footed kites.

Sadly, I think the second group is by far the larger group.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well.... what I see locally are indeed two types of users. There are the ones with well behaved dogs that need to be able to roam out onto the grass and do their thing when the owner doesn't want to go with them and risk stepping in poop. The other ones are ones that never taught their dogs to stay close and are basically flying furry 4 footed kites.

Sadly, I think the second group is by far the larger group.
Sad, but true. We always pick up but we have very tough leash laws here so dogs have very little off leash places the flexi does give them space to walk ahead explore the muddy bits and in Murphys case go paddling but we are able to restrict him and not let him go swimming off across the lake (he is a devil with water) ..
As said a bad workman blames his tools. For training a flexi is not ideal at all and a long line works much better at practicing recall unless you have a nice fenced in area to practice in. But when walking on boggy muddy ground where the dogs are not allowed off leash the flexi is nice instead of getting your hands cold and wet with a long line.. We were at a nature reserve this morning no off leash dogs allowed so George and Murphy were both on flexis giving them the chance to explore , giving us control and making sure we broke no rules..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally don't like the long leads like the second link you posted.

I have no experience with a "bungee" lead like the first one. I just use a basic slip line like the one in the picture below. I've also put a lot of hours into training the dog not to pull on the line, which really pays off if you have the patience for it.

View attachment 245242
Your suggestions are very helpful to me, thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a 6 foot long beta/biothane leash. My dog gets plenty of exercise on our hikes and is only off leash in a fenced area or indoors. I am not a fan of flexi type leashes or the people who use them. Used correctly and responsibly they might be ok but the majority of people don't.

My bad experience. A friend of mine took one of my dogs for a walk on one years ago. She tripped and dropped the leash and it zipped up and smacked my dog in the bum. She took off. The lead would snag on things then zip and smack her again. She took off, terrified, and went missing overnight. I was lucky to get her back and that she did not end up wrapped around some tree in the middle of nowhere. The leash went in the trash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there!
If you are living in the USA i can strongly recommend this Online-Shop (petparadise-shop.com) for leashes and other things for your loved dog.
I ordered multiple times and different items there and i was always satisfied!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts