Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what do you think makes a dog cute. We all have preferences for what kind of dog we want, whether they are big or small.
For example I like dogs like Akita's, German shepherd's, huskies, and they have a common characteristic: pointy ears. It does not have to be a physical characteristic, it could also be a sort of behavior you look for.

Here's a visual of my kind of dog that I like:

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I like long noses, large eyes, sleek coats, large ears (pointed or dropped), leaner bodies and richly colored coats. But most of all I'm attracted to the intelligence (not how trainable they are, their raw intelligence).
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: ZoesMom

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I like deep expressive eyes.I want to be able to read them when we look at eachother.Short, smooth coats preffered (my hubby is the opposite but we've had both)... Nice long noses (no bulldogs or target dogs for me...sorry)... Velvety ears! I always play with their ears. Besides all that, what attracts me to a dog is a tall, supple looking dogs with a strong stance. I know it sounds silly but I love seeing a dog stand up confident.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: AmandaB

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I like all sorts of dogs for different reasons. The two things I wouldn't like in a dog are strong smell and drooling. Other than that most anything is fair game.
I used to not like dogs with smushed faces, but since working at a doggy daycare, I've come to love pugs, bulldogs, boxers, etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I like fluffy dogs. Lol Big or small, they gotta be fluffy. Lol Though there are a few short haired breeds I don't mind.

But to make the list short, I love chows and pomeranians.

Reactions: pkelley

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I like rescue dogs!!! I love Addison because she has the biggest heart and most courageous perseverence I have EVER seen in a dog! I like dogs that keep trying no matter what the odds, and that still retain their sense of sweetness and capacity for loving in spite of it all. It doesn't matter what they look like to me, although soft silky ears and big expressive eyes are a big plus, lol.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I like rescue dogs as well. I'm not of fan of small yappy, fragile, lap dogs. I'd rather have a dog who is more rough and tumble. My Boston was a firecracker when she was younger and could hike the mtns with me as long as there wasn't high heats. My current crazy mix is an amazing outdoorsy type who is a challenge to keep up with on hikes.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I like pricked ear dogs. I like a spunky, high drive type of spirit. I adore intelligence and really fall for those that exhibit the former but are also very lovey-types. I like a confident dog. I do not like yappy yappers. I dislike untrained, spoiled dogs. I am not a fan of drooling types, nor smashed in faces. I don't ever want a massive dog; not a fan of great danes at all. Too big and they die too early. I want a dog that is intelligent, family oriented, highly trainable and portable, lol. My dogs have to live life alongside me, no matter where I go and I am not willing to buy a tractor trailer to transport big Rufus, hehe. I don't like terriers much, unless they are properly exercised, because otherwise they're a big pita. I don't know anyone in my life with a terrier that gives it the proper outlets it needs, so they're all basket cases. Although I like their dogs, I'm pretty sick of their terriers jumping up on me non stop because they're crazy hyper but no outlet.

I also do not ever want to own dogs with high/higher propensities for DA. Not a ride I want to take. Not worth it, and doesn't fit into my idea of dog ownership. My dogs must be able to behave nicely in public. They don't have to love everyone, but they must at least be neutral. Rules out bully breeds pretty much. I'm also not willing to deal with insurance issues, etc.

Reactions: ZoesMom

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I like any dog that can smile, and has expressive eyes, but my favorites and both the GSD, and Siberian Husky.
C~

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Larger size about 50-130ibs.
Average or Longer legs,lean but muscular,with at-least a average size muzzle. None to light wrinkling. short,medium,medium-long fur that does not snarl easily. No extra fur on the face,its messy and I don't like the look very much.
A dog that is eager to please,playful,intelligent,not nervous or vicious,driven,brave,can defend itself, gentle when needed, territorial and protective when needed,trustworthy around other pets most the time.
Theirs no perfect dog,but if I can get mostly good traits then its fine.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
A dog with "smart" eyes (some dogs you can tell just by looking at them that there isn't much going on upstairs...), expressive ears and a smile on its face.
I prefer a patterned coat (not just all one color) and a dog that looks clean but not "prissy" no pom poms for me... :D
The dog must have a nose (all I see when I see a bulldog or pug is how sad it must be to be bred to not be able to enjoy life to the full and have breathing problems, shame on us humans) and I must be able to tell by looking at it that there is a pair of eyes somewhere on the face (not lost in a sea of fur).

In short: :dog-love:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Or one Blue and one 1/3 Blue and 2/3 Brown! :D

Reactions: pkelley

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't like shedding dogs, unfortunately. I'm also not a big dog person, I think a lot of it has to do with intimidation.

I must say the little white fluffy breeds have my heart. Nothing I love more then burying my face in their soft fur. :)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Sheesh so handsome!!! I like blue eyes, or better, one blue and one brown eye!!
You also like brown eyes, short legs, a widow's peak and a great smile!;):D

Attachments

Reactions: ZoesMom and AmandaB

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Nola is a "dog apart" as is Niko!! Wish I had a camera phone or digital camera for Chloe and Addison, lol. Chloe has one blue eye and one 1/2 brown 1/2 blue eye! They are called cracked marble. Addy had big brown eyes...but not at all like Nola's, sigh.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
You also like brown eyes, short legs, a widow's peak and a great smile!;):D
Nola is just a special dachshund altogether. I love her and I don't really care for dachshunds! But Nola, who cant fall in love with her?? :confused:

Voted most photogenic in agility school!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like dogs with those beautiful, deep, expressive eyes... I love the black eyes on a gorgeous Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and adorable Beagles... eyes that can make me melt. Max has those eyes, I think that's why I like them so much.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Oh my goodness, Nola is a "separate" entity from the other dogs, a class by herself as is Niko....Brown eyes, a widow's peak, sparkling teeth, athletic bod, and on and on! I would flip if I met them both in person....I would be babbling and make a fool of myself and probably scare them half to death with my uncontrolled gushing....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts