Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG-20200309-WA0012.jpg

Hello everyone, the picture above is the photo of my late 8 weeks Rottie. 2 days ago, he was perfectly fine and as always, he had his usual large appetite. Yesterday morning, I noticed he wouldn't eat anything but would still follow me around as he always does. I checked his poo from the night before and it was solid enough. However, within the next 1hour, he defecated twice. First poo was ok but second poo wasn't all that solid, but wasn't watery either. He tried to vomit but nothing comes out except saliva.

Within the next hour, I rushed him to the vet place and after running a test, I was told my puppy has Pavo. Treatment commenced immediately and during this time, the puppy never defecated or threw up again. He wasn't as active as he use to be but he was still active enough to play and lick me over. The vet in an attempt to give him a drip sedated him twice within 5 minutes. I was told to come back in the evening and take him home and bring him back the next day. Within 3 hours of leaving the place, the clinic called me to inform me that he is dead. I found this strange and would appreciate if some of you professionals could give me your opinions about what happened. Is it possible for a puppy to die within 5 hours of showing the first symptoms of Pavo? Can Pavo kill a puppy even though the symptoms are still very mild? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm so sorry this has happened. I'm not an expert at all but I have a few alarm bells ringing here - Can parvo be detected that quickly, for a start?

Is it possible for you to ask to have the body back for further examination?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. In the heat of the moment, I couldn't stand the sight of the dead body so I asked them to take care of it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's perfectly understandable - it must have been an awful shock.

I'm wondering why the vet gave him two sedatives - my dog fights sedatives so he takes a long time to go under, but the vets wouldn't consider giving him a larger dose because there would be risks attached. And occasionally, even with the correct dose, some dogs may react very badly. Just a thought, and I don't want to lead you into worrying about more and more possibilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your replies. I guess I will have to come to terms with the fact that he's gone. I will still demand a detailed explanation of what happened when I left. I just want to make sure he died of natural causes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There is now a snap test for parvo similar to the one they use for heartworm it shows the result almost immediately. So it is possible that directed test and your puppy did have parvo. I can't judge on the station although I do find it strange that he would give 2 doses in such a short time.
singers without the body without an autopsy there is no real way of knowing and regardless of that whatever you do you cannot bring him back.
I am so sorry for your loss take time to grieve the loss of your friend.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hello everyone, the picture above is the photo of my late 8 weeks Rottie. 2 days ago, he was perfectly fine and as always, he had his usual large appetite. Yesterday morning, I noticed he wouldn't eat anything but would still follow me around as he always does. I checked his poo from the night before and it was solid enough. However, within the next 1hour, he defecated twice. First poo was ok but second poo wasn't all that solid, but wasn't watery either. He tried to vomit but nothing comes out except saliva.

Within the next hour, I rushed him to the vet place and after running a test, I was told my puppy has Pavo. Treatment commenced immediately and during this time, the puppy never defecated or threw up again. He wasn't as active as he use to be but he was still active enough to play and lick me over. The vet in an attempt to give him a drip sedated him twice within 5 minutes. I was told to come back in the evening and take him home and bring him back the next day. Within 3 hours of leaving the place, the clinic called me to inform me that he is dead. I found this strange and would appreciate if some of you professionals could give me your opinions about what happened. Is it possible for a puppy to die within 5 hours of showing the first symptoms of Pavo? Can Pavo kill a puppy even though the symptoms are still very mild? Thanks everyone.
I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

I'm definitely not an expert but 5 hours seems short. On the other hand, parvovirus has a very high mortality rate if the dog is not yet vaccinated. Is it possible that the vet did something wrong? Yes. Is it possible that it was the virus? Also, yes. I don't think anyone can really give you a definitive answer over the internet.

Looking forward, you should start with vaccinations at 6-8 weeks and keep your dog away from other dogs that you aren't sure have had their shots until they have had their first series (usually +/- 16 weeks). Someone probably should have told you this before your puppy got sick. Once again, I'm very sorry that you have to go through this.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
I highly doubt that it was parvo that killed your puppy. They generally die of dehydration, or septicimia, and that takes longer then 5 hours to occur, BUT without a necropsy no one can say for sure just what happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss,
here's some information- (you probably know most of this)-if you scroll down, you'll see that Rottweilers and a few other breeds appear to be more susceptible to parvo, though I never thought that some breeds were more likely to get it than others.

See if anyone has reviews on the vet if it will make you feel "better" about choosing him/her the next time you decide on a pup.
Sometimes these things just happen--

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm so sorry for your loss,
here's some information- (you probably know most of this)-if you scroll down, you'll see that Rottweilers and a few other breeds appear to be more susceptible to parvo, though I never thought that some breeds were more likely to get it than others.

See if anyone has reviews on the vet if it will make you feel "better" about choosing him/her the next time you decide on a pup.
Sometimes these things just happen--
Thank you Shiloh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts