Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we all love our dogs but I am curious as to what is your favourite practical thing about the type of dog you have, either the breed, or the breed mix, size, coat ect.

I live with my mother and have a yorkie little brother. I plan to get a toy poodle but I want to study abroad and Iceland has quarantine laws, basically long boring practical reasons why I have to wait a while.

Anyway I have never lived with a toy or a non shedding type dog before. NEVER, actually I was rather prejudiced against toy dogs and the Yorkshire Terrier is in some ways the typical yappy never trained toy dog.

I grew up with labradors but now I am not sure whether I will ever go back to large shedding dogs.

We like to allow our pets on the furniture, we like to have a cat or a dog snuggled next to us on the sofa or even the bed when watching TV. its cosy.

I have never minded the hair in the past but wow the difference! :eek: I petsat my sisters beagle for a half a day this week and he really likes his cuddles as does her cat (used to be my cat too, long story). So the cat actually crawled unto my lap and rubbed his face against mine and I had cat hair in my nose! :eek: haha and the Beagle pretty much had his nose in my mouth as I tried to eat lunch hahah :eyeroll:

So odd because I never noticed pet hair in my life when it was everywhere. We used to have two cats and a labrador mix! the cats would sleep on my bed! :thumbsup: But now when I have experienced both the joy of having a pet and not having to be covered in hair thats really the best of both worlds.

I have discovered though that keeping the coat in good condition is hard though. Askur has an off-standard coat that is too silky and fine and matts more easily than regular yorkie coats. We have had to despite our best efforts to shave him down a few times and he will always have a very short cut because it is impossible to keep a long one matt free. We are trying some new things now though.

I love his size. I love being able to pick him up for a hug. I love that he likes to sit on my lap :p I love that he likes to snuggle under a duvet for warmth :p Everything is just easier from getting him in the car, the crate is so small, travelling is easy. But he does get very cold and because of that he has an extensive wardrobe :thumbsup:

But I do worry more about him when he plays with other dogs because they dont have to be aggressive for them to hurt him :( but at the same time he is very social and enjoys it, even large dog.

I love that sometimes this spoiled, clothed little toy dog shows us that he is a hunter at heart. Especially when he tries to kill his squeaky toys or attack the "mouse" (my hand) thats under the blanket.

Terriers are vicious hunters with independence, tenaciousness and prey drive all in a very small package and should not be underestimated. I think Askur would try to kill a rodent or a small bird if he got the chance.

On a more serious note I have a disability that affects my balance. I love being able to take Askur for a walk even on icy roads without having to worry about him pulling me down if he wants to run after a cat. :thumbsup: My balance is so bad that I struggle to walk the Beagle because he pulls so hard. :(

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ooooooh if I had to pick just one thing!? I'll try to stick to general characteristics, since every dog is different.

With Levi, I actually LOVE his coat. Everyone who meets him thinks it must be such a hassle but Aussies are surprisingly lower maintenance than one would think. Dirt and mud actually flake off fairly easy, and I don't really worry about him unless it's REALLY cold. I brush him maybe three times a week, focusing on the areas that mat (behind the ears, armpits, and pants). The brushing is not only fairly easy, but it seriously increases our bonding time, and we both enjoy it (Levi usually falls asleep!) Aside from that, he is SO soft. Ugh, it's wonderful. He's amazing for snuggling, sleeping on, or warming you up if it's cold outside (he is across my lap right now). I know he sheds, because I vacuum up a fair amount, but I notice his hair less than short haired breeds actually.

Heidi is easy - her brain. Training her anything is laughably easy. She's an absolute pleasure to train, engaged, focus, and seems to love to work. She is a shaping mind-reader. I put something like a stool down, hoping to shape her front paws up and rotating her back legs. She seems to know instantly what I want, and will offer TONS of extra-complicated behaviors. She's a pro. Now, she requires a lot of training to keep her occupied and happy, but I rarely get frustrated in a session with her. She's entering her teen phase, so she has started blowing off some cues, but we will get through it.

Reactions: spotsonofbun

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I also have a toy/terrier combo- Toy Fox Terrier. She's got the best and worst traits of both types. She's definitely the stereotypical yappy little dog. :eyeroll:

I actually never wanted a terrier or tiny dog either- but she's definitely grown on me!

My favorite traits of hers are her intelligence (she's very smart, when I'm training her, I can actually see her thinking!) and her high prey drive. It can be a pain when you're on a walk or hike and she's screaming at squirrels or leaves blowing by or moving water, but in a way it's incredible to watch such strong primitive instincts emerge in a tiny little dog. Because of these two traits she gets herself into so much trouble but I'm also really excited to start doing sports with her because I think she's going to do great (especially if we ever have the opportunity to do terrier racing or barn hunt).

She's also a cuddly lap dog like her toy breed ancestors but it's actually kind of annoying- I wish she were a little more independent indoors. She'll push aside books, step on laptop keyboards, and somehow worm her way on top of you. She always gets her way- you could spend ten minutes trying to keep her off, but get distracted for one second and suddenly she's in your lap or on your shoulders... or chest... or on your head! She's very... persistent.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had schnauzers my whole life...

What I LOVE about them:

So so smart

VERY affectionate

Very expressive

No shedding. Hurray!!

The minis are small dogs (convenient sized) but tough little guys. They are not prissy dogs by any means. Mine camp, hike, kayak, etc.

Generally good for allergy sufferers (like my husband)

Super good looking dogs. Like ridiculously cute (at least the well bred ones are).

What I don't like as much, but can cope with:

Can be bossy with other dogs (which can get them in trouble)

Stubborn as heck

Can be reactive (training helps immensely.)

Unfortunately, I see many mini schnauzers that are overweight, under-exercised, and under-trained

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've had 2 bostons (so brachycephalic/bulldog type and also companion/lap type dogs) and a mutt (best guess is lab/border collie/heinz 47 mutt). The first boston I grew up with, got the mutt as a teenager, and then got the second boston recently. There was a 2 year gap between the 2 bostons and it really made me appreciate companion/lap breeds.

With the companion bostons, I just love their snuggly nature. I never realized how much I loved it until I went 2 years without it. There's nothing like a warm little dog curled in the crook of my leg. I also like being able to carry a dog if I need to. I'm 20, so I know I'll be doing a lot of moving around and will have a pretty variable schedule for at least the next 3-4 years (the time it will take for me the finish school), and its nice to know my dog is small enough to fit in any apartment weight limit plus can come a lot of places with me (such as friends houses) because she's a manageable energy level and size. I also like that they're still fairly athletic dogs despite being a brachy breed, and they still ahve a lot of energy/go in them. I LOVE agility and want to compete in it eventually- my first one did agility until she became too dog aggressive to continue with it and it was a great way for a kid (I was around 9-13 at the time) to learn about dog sports/training. My current one is just over 6 months and I'm excited to start her in classes this spring.

With the lab mix, I like the outdoorsy-ness of her. She LOVES the beach, and we have a house near the beach so it's nice that she's so excited about water. She's also one of the smartest dogs I've ever met, which is what makes me think she's part BC, and that made training really fun and challenging.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Everything. I love the sled dogs for their coat and endurance. They also are pretty independent, which suits me well, usually. I love the talking, too. Just...<3

I love herding dogs for their drive to work and attempts at learning. They're versatile in what they will work for (food, toys, etc) and are a bit less independent in that they WANT to learn everything and focus on your cues for that.

I also like the medium-lean bodily features (not lanky like a greyhound, not bulky like a bully) and the erect, huge ears. I like the medium size range-still fits under the couch but is big enough to use as a pillow or lean on short term for things, and just wrestle with without accidentally breaking.

Koda is pretty much my perfect dog, despite her reactivity. She's amazing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Favorite practical thing? No shedding/hypoallergenic and a small dog. Favorite things? I could go on and on. She is a fluff ball full of love. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's impossible for me to pick one thing about Buster.

His coat - omg it's so SOFT! And shiny! The hair round his neck is like a mane it's so awesome!

His mannerisms - he's got so much character, he'll make loads of different noises and stuff depending on how he's feeling. Like when I come home, he'll go all wiggly and sneeze loads, he'll roo roo roo in excitement, then once he's calmed down and you ask him if he wants to go outside he'll rear up and bounce at me, go into a bow and a huge stretch. He's so nuts sometimes.

His focus - today we were out a walk, I had some of last nights leftover pork in my treat pouch with some ham and our Puller Collar training ring. We weren't working on anything in particular, mostly just working his brain with some emergency stops during retrieves. And he's just so switched on, we had a guy walk by with two horse sized Weims and he never averted his gaze.

Lastly, his snuggles - this dog and cuddles. Tv time at night comes around and if I lay my blanket over me he cannot control himself, he'll sneak out his bed and launch himself at me, he'll lie in the space between my legs like a nest. At night time in bed there's a mandatory 5 minute head scratching session, I try and go to straight to sleep and he'll just paw and grumble at me until I give in.

See picture below of coming home hugs haha

Reactions: MarleyGrace

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I like how sleek and cool MOST scent hounds look (sorry, bassets). There's nothing I appreciate more than a hound that is taken care of and is in good shape. When people don't let them get fat, they're one of the slickest looking dogs. I think coonhounds (especially redbones) are one of the most beautiful breeds. However, I appreciate the small size of a beagle. My beagle looks more like a tiny treeing walker coonhound than a beagle, with long legs, a long face, and light build. I'd love to have a coonhound, but I am really more of a small dog person, so I'll stick with beagles for now.

I LOVE baying. I found the thing that separates the people who love hounds and the people that don't is that the people who truly love a good hound dog can appreciate a good voice.

I like ears. I couldn't have a dog with pricked or even medium sized ears. I need me some ears.

I also like the "inside" things. They're generally fairly healthy, friendly, and structurally sound dogs.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
okay since i have 2 different breeds lets start with old man charlie:

Love his loyalty, if im unwell he there for me, so easy to care for even if his coat is harder to care for and i get hair everywehre and in my mouth lol. I love the way he loves my feet massaging his back and body and how he would get on the bed to sleep with me :) but he cant do that anymore not for ages now :(

also love how smart he is, how happy he is to see me when i go over, his snoring nad cuddles.

Jessie: LOVE her coat, body condition and shape, cute face, LOADS of character makes different sounds and body postures for every single thing! she out smarts me and have to wait her out or she dont get a treat now because i give in too easily.
LOVE the way she takes care of me lays next to me on the bed watching over me, how she comes under covers with me, the way she kisses me when im sad, cry or just need a lovely hug where she puts her front arms around me then lick me to death! :) i basically love everything about my dogs apart form when they bark at stupid things like a cat on todays walk or naughty.

seriously though they are very well mannered today Jessie let charlie go foward first on the walk when we got to narrow street that is a shortcut, charlie is a complete gentlemen letting the younger ones in the car first before he gets in as he struggles to get in the car now.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
okay since i have 2 different breeds lets start with old man charlie:

Love his loyalty, if im unwell he there for me, so easy to care for even if his coat is harder to care for and i get hair everywehre and in my mouth lol. I love the way he loves my feet massaging his back and body and how he would get on the bed to sleep with me :) but he cant do that anymore not for ages now :(

also love how smart he is, how happy he is to see me when i go over, his snoring nad cuddles.

Jessie: LOVE her coat, body condition and shape, cute face, LOADS of character makes different sounds and body postures for every single thing! she out smarts me and have to wait her out or she dont get a treat now because i give in too easily.
LOVE the way she takes care of me lays next to me on the bed watching over me, how she comes under covers with me, the way she kisses me when im sad, cry or just need a lovely hug where she puts her front arms around me then lick me to death! :) i basically love everything about my dogs apart form when they bark at stupid things like a cat on todays walk or naughty.

seriously though they are very well mannered today Jessie let charlie go foward first on the walk when we got to narrow street that is a shortcut, charlie is a complete gentlemen letting the younger ones in the car first before he gets in as he struggles to get in the car now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You mean I haven't spent enough time bragging about the cur-type dog's versatility as a rural worker (hunting, herding, guarding, blah blah) to get the point across yet? ;)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Well...

I have three dogs right now, only two of which I'd really consider to be my "type" (or somewhat close).

Sophie, my little terrier mix, is totally my type. She's tenacious even when she's cranky and she can be a lot of fun. I'm also a total sucker for the scruffy little dog, haha.

Lexy, my Aussie mix, is another one that's my type. I love herding breeds (minus BCs, I don't think I would ever want one of those). I've just been around them for so long - they tend to have such personalities and are just so much fun to be with. I loooooved my Sheltie. He was just the funniest, chattiest, most loving dog. When I was young we had Collies that were the same way. I'm actually head over heels for Collies so hope to have one in the near future, but it may be a couple of years.

Then, uh, Chisum. Don't get me wrong - I love him to bits! He's super smart, adorable, and quite the character. We're not without our challenges but he's so loving that it can sometimes make up for the problems. I'm just not really much of a Cocker Spaniel girl, though. Just something about them, I guess. In some ways he's like a watered down Cocker, so maybe that's why he's a bit more 'tolerable' for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Dobes are by far my fav larger breed.
Love everything about them. Looks, drive, intelligence, handler oriented. I miss my boy terribly and want another dobe badly.

As far as smaller dogs, I love Min Pins and terriers. I like both the smooth Min Pin type coat and look as well as scruffy wire haired look. Mostly though, I like the spunky terrier 'tude and energy. I find the problem solving skills that often go hand in hand with their independent thinking to actually make them easy and very fun to train as I very much prefer to shape behaviors and use targeting to train my personal dogs.

However I am and always will be a sucker for a smooshy face. Love pugs, pekes, Bostons, Frenchies, Brussels Griffons, etc. Lots of these little guys I know seem to have just this joyful, love of life personality that is hard to resist.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm pretty lucky right now, I have two Very different dogs with opposite types of personalities, and they are both my type.

They both share a lower energy, just happy to hang out and be couch potatoes, they rarely bark at things. HaHa guards his toys a little...but no one else wants them...so that's just his fantasy there that everyone is out to steal his toys.

Neither will steal food off counters, end tables...like if I'm eating in the front room and have to get up and go into another room for a few minutes. I can come back and my dinner plate is still sitting there. The never get into the garbage, even if I toss in really tempting stuff, like tuna fish cans, or excess fat trimmings from a pork roast.

My type.. I love a quiet gentle dog... Bingo..with Jaya
My type.. I also love a playful dog that is funny... Bingo again, with HaHa.

Living with the best of both worlds.

Stormy

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love how my terriers are ready to go any time of day. During the winter not so much, but I like to do a lot of walking in the summer. With my previous bull breed dogs I often found myself pacing around the house waiting for him to wake up so we could go for a walk. Of course this has a flip-side, because the terriers expect me to be ready to go, any time of day, as well. Oh and it's nice to be able to pick up your dog when you need to of course! I also like that both have smooth coats but do not shed in the way some other smooth breeds like labs and bulldogs do.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like Chessa's drive and determination and loyalty from the terrier side. She also has crazy endurance without being too hyper.

Echo takes after the beagle almost exclusively. I love her big soft floppy ears and the ridiculous howling and noises she makes. She's also sleek and fit and can go forever like most hounds. I also like her short, tight haircoat.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like Chessa's drive and determination and loyalty from the terrier side. She also has crazy endurance without being too hyper.

Echo takes after the beagle almost exclusively. I love her big soft floppy ears and the ridiculous howling and noises she makes. She's also sleek and fit and can go forever like most hounds. I also like her short, tight haircoat.

Both of them will go as long as I do and still have more left, which I really like. I'm not a fan of lazy dogs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts