Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I thought it would be fun to start a thread about your favorite treats? Maybe something healthy? Home made?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Carrots, cucumbers, bananas, and melon for at home treats. For walks/training we use a mix of homemade beef jerky (no seasonings, just meat that's been dried in the oven), cheese strings (very occasionally), orijen freeze dried treats, and freshpet occasionally.

We also do frozen plain yogurt cubes with berries on hot days.

Reactions: DrHarmony

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
We use boiled chicken breast, boiled in a mixture of chicken broth and water. Levi loves it and I don't feel bad about giving him a lot. For very expensive behaviours (ie ignoring other dogs or walking nicely to the dog park) we use steak. I'm sure my mother would die if she ever saw what we spend on these dogs...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carrots, cucumbers, bananas, and melon for at home treats. For walks/training we use a mix of homemade beef jerky (no seasonings, just meat that's been dried in the oven), cheese strings (very occasionally), orijen freeze dried treats, and freshpet occasionally.

We also do frozen plain yogurt cubes with berries on hot days.
Those all sound super healthy :) awesome

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
@KatieToth thanks. I'm lucky in that Tessa will eat pretty much anything, well except celery she hates celery. Oh, and broccoli too lol. She also has allergies to things like flax, soy, and some additives so we need to know what exactly what's in the treats. Homemade/veggies/fruits are just easier than risking digestive/skin issues from an incorrectly read ingredients list.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@KatieToth thanks. I'm lucky in that Tessa will eat pretty much anything, well except celery she hates celery. Oh, and broccoli too lol. She also has allergies to things like flax, soy, and some additives so we need to know what exactly what's in the treats. Homemade/veggies/fruits are just easier than risking digestive/skin issues from an incorrectly read ingredients list.
It sounds like your baby is in very good hands :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like the little Zuke's training treats and dehydrated lamb lung as a jackpot treat. I have SO many treats right now it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Off topic but have any of you noticed a different smell to Zukes? They also seem to be harder instead of soft like they were prior to the take over. I used to feed them to Jazzy but can't feed them post-take over to Tessa because she gets horrible GI upset whenever I buy them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Off topic but have any of you noticed a different smell to Zukes? They also seem to be harder instead of soft like they were prior to the take over. I used to feed them to Jazzy but can't feed them post-take over to Tessa because she gets horrible GI upset whenever I buy them.
That's quite disappointing to hear. I have not bought them in quite a while as I have so very many other treats (like two plastic bags filled w/ bags and boxes of treats, some very low quality some very high quality, most my dog likes but a few she doesn't). I suppose once I need more in a long while I will try them one more time to see for myself and if I have as poor an experience w/ them as you are having I guess I won't buy them again. My dog does have quite a sturdy stomach so I doubt they will cause her an upset tummy, but it's a shame that they're causing that for some dogs and that the smell and texture is off. Who took them over again?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
@supaflyskye Nestle/Purina took them over. My last dog loved the venison fillets but when I bought them for Tessa they also reek and are much harder/crunchy then they used to be. I used to be able to rip them with my hands.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My dog likes Orijen Ranch Raised Lamb treats (freeze dried lamb). She has a lot of allergies and those are the best I've found that don't get her sick.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Favorite treat...

Well...for me... cherry cheesecake.

My dogs...I don't think they really care, they will suck down a bite of bread crust just as fast as they will a bite of hamburger. If I took a piece of dog kibble and acted like it was something to be fed by hand - like a treat - they would enjoy it more too than they would if it had just been put into the dog bow...lol.

The cats.... definitely cat nip.

Stormy : )

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Favorite treat...

Well...for me... cherry cheesecake.

My dogs...I don't think they really care, they will suck down a bite of bread crust just as fast as they will a bite of hamburger. If I took a piece of dog kibble and acted like it was something to be fed by hand - like a treat - they would enjoy it more too than they would if it had just been put into the dog bow...lol.

The cats.... definitely cat nip.

Stormy : )
I think that is very common for many of our dogs haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts