Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 1/2 month old pup has a dark spot in his iris, almost like another pupil. He had it since I got him at 8wks. I tried to google it but the closest thing I found was an eye condition called Coloboma, but that seems to be consistently connected to the pupil and consistently underneath, in a tear drop formation. This is separate and to the side.
If it is simply cosmetic I won't be concerned, but if it could cause sight problems or pain I will go to the vet to see what can be done. As of right now it seems to cause no issues, no squinting, etc. I read that with a Coloboma dogs may squint with that eye in harsh light because the hole in the iris lets in excess light. He doesn't seem to react to light any differently than any other dog and the eyes seem equal in how they react to things. For all I know this could be something he could grow out of. Any information or anyone who has dealt with this, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He didn't seem to notice it or say anything and I honestly didn't for a while either. I have a Lyme vaccine booster left and I'm going back for trifexis here soon so I will definitely ask point it out then.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Oh wow, please do not shove colloidal silver into a dogs eye, it's going to do nothing for a congenital abnormality. That is completely irresponsible advice, especially given the age of the dog.

·
Registered
368 Posts
any way you can get a good, in focus close up of that eye... too far away to see anything in the photos you posted... need 3-5x magnification at the least.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Does not remind me of a coloboma. It might just be some pigmentation on the iris. Your vet will be able to use a scope in order to focus directly on the area and will be able to give you a good idea as to what it is. I don't imagine its anything to worry about. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would guess coloboma aswell. Please tell us what the vet said, this is quite interesting!
Looks a bit like the eye of a goat. It makes him special! <3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts