Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm sure it won't be too weird for you guys, but most people in my daily life think that owning ferrets is weird. They stink and I spend a lot of time finding the right plug in freshener that takes away their musky smell, ha ha. But they are hilarious, and sweet, and fun little critters to own!

My friend has a scorpion. Now I think that's weird! But only because I like to handle my pets, definitely don't want to handle one of those!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had a pet month when I was younger. His wings hadn't developed right, so I kept him and took care of him. We also used to have some sort of plankton.

Now my parents had some really weird pets before I was born. They worked for Audubon and they used to have a pet hawk and a snowy owl (I think).

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
When I was a kid, one of the local five and dime stores used to sell baby caimans. I had a few of those. We kept them in a big sandbox that had a little pond in it. My dad was always bringing home animals from his hunting trips. My mom wasn't very amused. We had a opossum, armadillo, squirrels. all at different times.As an adult, I'd never own or try to make a pet of a wild animal but back then I thought it was pretty cool. My dad was a carpenter and would build really neat enclosures for our various wild animal "pets". My brother had a raccoon and a tarantula.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had a pet month when I was younger. His wings hadn't developed right, so I kept him and took care of him. We also used to have some sort of plankton.

Now my parents had some really weird pets before I was born. They worked for Audubon and they used to have a pet hawk and a snowy owl (I think).
I just realized that I wrote 'month' instead of 'moth'. lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I raised monarchs for years and I used to have pet crayfish.
When I was in 5th grade, I brought in some monarch caterpillars and when they became butterflies we had someone come in and put tracking numbers on them. It was really cool.

I haven't seen any monarch caterpillars in years and didn't see any butterflies this year. :ponder:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was in 5th grade, I brought in some monarch caterpillars and when they became butterflies we had someone come in and put tracking numbers on them. It was really cool.

I haven't seen any monarch caterpillars in years and didn't see any butterflies this year. :ponder:
That is really cool!
They are not coming up this way as much anymore. Their migration pattern is all shaken up due to their homes in Mexico being destroyed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Weirdest was probably the chipmunk when I was younger or the Black-backed Land Crab we have now. Used to have a tarantula too, sweetest little thing. Had her out all the time. I'm getting a praying mantis soon as well and I want another tarantula and/or a scorpion or millipede. Love the creepy crawlers!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The most unusual that I've had was probably the short tailed opossum. He was a nifty little fellow. Runners up would probably be the hissing cockroaches I had hidden under my bed when I was a senior in high school. I sent them off to live with a 12 year old boy when I went to college and he loved them :D I'm another one that currently has ferrets people think are weird.

I've also had a pacman frog, a mouse, parakeet, hamster, hermit crabs, various species of fish and I currently have a leopard gecko. I'm sure I've missed some of them. None of those are particularly unusual. I've stopped getting small animals for the most part, though. I put a crazy amount of thought and effort into their care, but bad things kept happening to them :( Right now the weirdest things I have are the ferrets and leopard gecko who should be with us for several years to come.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A tortoise. He lived in the back yard. He just turned up one day, stayed a while and then one day lwalked out the gate and didn't come back. I "owned" a few silk worms, but they lived with the neighbours boy. Mom refused to let me keep them in our house.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches (which hatched out little'uns at my parents house, despite both the adults being female...my parents were thrilled! :p ), Giant African Land snail, African Giant Millepede, corn snake, Hognose snake, Fire Bellied Toads, mice and a muscle...they were / are my 'weirdies' :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts