Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waned to get a dog at some point and wanted to know what type of dog breed or mix of dog breeds will work for me.

I live alone. Weekdays I will work all day and have to leave the dog at home alone. :( I'd like it if the dog didn't cry all day and tear up everything. I can walk the dog in the evenings for exercise. I would like a medium to large dog that is not hyper and would laze with me on the couch. I like it when the dog nudges my hand to get me to pet it and sits or lays there as I pet it. I'd like it to be easy to train, quiet, friendly, not much grooming maintenance, short hair, doesn't shed much, etc. I'm not looking for a guard dog or anything.

I like to rock climb and would like to take the dog with me to the crag. So, the dog will need to be able to hike with me to the rock wall, which can be quite a physical feat sometimes with steep hills. I'd like a dog that would not have bad interactions with other dogs that might be there. I have seen dogs growl at each other and start to fight. (Why do dog just decide to fight?) I leave in the southeast, and temperatures during rock climbing season can range from 20's (at night when we camp in tents) to upper 90's.

Any suggestions and stories about your dog would be nice.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Well, some of what you're looking for temperment wise is as much training as anything else, so be prepared to take that time. The dog interactions for example.

As for the rest, the dog described in part one is not nessecarily the same dog as described in part two unless when you excercise in the evenings you do alot more than go for a walk.

How many hours are you gone for during the weekdays?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I dont have much to say on which breed. I would go check out a shelter if your interested in a mix. Some of the best hiking dogs I have meet are mixes. You seem to have a very realistic sense of what you are looking for in a dog(doesn't happen much around here) I think that a pit mix would be perfect for you. Most pit mixes can be lazy and super active. Short hair that sheds, but its not terrible. Talk to your shelter tell them what your interested in. Spend a few days after work just walking many different dogs, you will find your perfect friend. Im hesitant in saying this, but I think a Cattle dog mix could be perfect for you as well. HOWEVER, cattle dogs in and of themselfs are NOT lazy dogs. They are pretty much constantly doing something. I have a ACD and I love her to pieces. She loves to kayak, hike and do WHATEVER with us. They are incredibly lolyal. BUT MUST have at least 2hrs(closer to 3.5) physical activity a day. A simple walk wont cut it. Fetch, off leash walks(Zoey easily walks 3X our distance) along with treat balls, fetch, puzzle toys and kongs. ok I guess I had more to say than I thought... lol

That said. Once you do get a dog I hiiiiighly recommend this harness for you. Its super cool. I use their web master harness with my catte dog and LOVE ruff wears product line.
DoubleBack? Harness Strength-Rated Harness for Dogs It was designed for people like you who want to take their dog rock climbing with them.

I hope you stick around with us. You seem like you would be a wonderful addition to our community!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Hm... Combination couch dog and hiker? That's tough. I've seen every breed at rock walls so not sure that is about breed but more personality.

Two recs...
1. Go to a shelter and look for a grown dog
2. Be ready to adjust your life daily to make sure your dog's exercise needs are met. No dog is sane if he does not get a good romp every day. So when you get home from work first priority is an hour outside with the dog. If you can commit to that a dog will do well with you, if not then you might revaluate if a dog is a good plan now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
615 Posts
I dont have much to say on which breed. I would go check out a shelter if your interested in a mix. Some of the best hiking dogs I have meet are mixes. You seem to have a very realistic sense of what you are looking for in a dog(doesn't happen much around here) I think that a pit mix would be perfect for you. Most pit mixes can be lazy and super active. Short hair that sheds, but its not terrible. Talk to your shelter tell them what your interested in. Spend a few days after work just walking many different dogs, you will find your perfect friend. Im hesitant in saying this, but I think a Cattle dog mix could be perfect for you as well. HOWEVER, cattle dogs in and of themselfs are NOT lazy dogs. They are pretty much constantly doing something. I have a ACD and I love her to pieces. She loves to kayak, hike and do WHATEVER with us. They are incredibly lolyal. BUT MUST have at least 2hrs(closer to 3.5) physical activity a day. A simple walk wont cut it. Fetch, off leash walks(Zoey easily walks 3X our distance) along with treat balls, fetch, puzzle toys and kongs. ok I guess I had more to say than I thought... lol

That said. Once you do get a dog I hiiiiighly recommend this harness for you. Its super cool. I use their web master harness with my catte dog and LOVE ruff wears product line.
DoubleBack? Harness Strength-Rated Harness for Dogs It was designed for people like you who want to take their dog rock climbing with them.

I hope you stick around with us. You seem like you would be a wonderful addition to our community!
You took the words out of my mouth! The first two breeds that popped into my mind. lol

I was going to suggest a pit bull mix but they aren't for everyone. Dog-to-dog interactions may be difficult but if you get the right dog that will be no problem. My grandpa lives in New Mexico and he and his friends are quite active. All of them have ACDs. They go hiking with them up in the mountains and in the woods. They're all awesome dogs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts