Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the most funny question asked about your dog's breed from strangers?

6K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  SpicyBulldog 
#1 ·
I adopted my dog from a rescue, so I don't entirely know what breeds he is, other than he is a mastiff mix. Our best guess is that he is mastiff mixed with some kind of hound (from the way he looks and uses his nose).

Usually, when I walk him around, people ask if he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Black Mouth Curr, Mastiff, etc.

I was at Home Depot with him this weekend and a woman was staring and staring at us at the checkout. She came up to me and then asked 'Is he a pitbull mix?'. It was an interesting question, because he looks nothing like a pitbull to me, Lol. He's got long legs, lean build (almost like a greyhound), no blocky head (well, you can see from my avatar picture). I was scratching my head after leaving the checkout, thinking...where did she come up with that? Hah ha.

And just a side comment - I would prefer he does not look like a pitbull, only because there is BSL in my city, and people are reported if anyone suspects you have a pitbull or a mix.

Anyways, just thought this would be a light hearted, funny thread. What is the most ridiculous thing you've ever been asked by a stranger about your dog's breed?

See less See more
#4 ·
My mom once had my black and tan mini-Doxie sitting in her lap at the vet's office. Some guy came up and asked "Is that a Doberman?"

She said it took all her self control to not say "Yes, he lost his legs in the war."

I don't get too many weird questions about Stella's breed, just a lot of people assuming she's got some Dalmatian in her because people assume all dogs with spots are Dalmatians.

Reactions: Turtle11
#5 ·
Most people assume that Delilah's a chihuahua. They're both tiny breeds and have big ears, but their head and body structure are completely different! She's definitely all terrier!

I've also heard Jack Russell and Rat (not a bad guess). Only two people have ever known her actual breed, and they were both TFT owners themselves.

When I used to take Mia, my black cockapoo everywhere, people always thought she was a Portuguese water dog puppy. And then I saw a PWD puppy and it looked just like her! It was funny though, because she'd be like 9 years old, and people would say "Aww, how old's your puppy?" because she's so cute and wiggly like a puppy and I would say "Nine" and they'd say "Nine months?" and I'd say "Nine years."

#6 ·
I had one person once think my wolfie was a pitbull mix, it was when we first for him and he had no control over himself what do ever, he looked pretty ferocious. I usually get people not understanding their names beacause of my accent... "WOLFIE HIS NAME IS WOLFIE!!" "Goofy?" "Yes goofy, I'm sure he will listen to that to"
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I've been asked by at least 3 separate people if mine is a Saluki. I get the fact that he looks kinda leggy and maybe sight-houndy, but a Saluki, he is not. Funny thing is, I don't think I've ever seen a Saluki in person around this area as they are rather uncommon.

Sent from mobile device using Tapatalk

#8 ·
"is that a sighthound mix?" is probably in the top ten.
No it was a pedigreed German Boxer...he was just in puberty and therefore lanky.
Not every Boxer has to be overweight.
and it's not that difficult to recognise the breed.

*lets their toddler pat my dog in the face* "does he bite?"
Well, do you think I'd go through the trouble of bringing him in a café in the city center where there are loads of people, if the dog'd bite?
And if he did, wouldn't it have been better to ask that before let your child have contact with it.
luckily, while Sancho really likes children and babies...I still don'T like letting small children so close to any kind of dog though.

#9 ·
I have tons of people ask me if Bandit is a rottweiler puppy (I guess because he's black and tan?) But he's so lanky I've never understood it. I even had someone ask "So how are you going to stop him from being vicious when he grows up?". I don't even know how real Rottie owners handle questions like that but as soon as I explained that he isn't a puppy or a Rottweiler, she got totally disinterested and walked away.

#10 ·
I even had someone ask "So how are you going to stop him from being vicious when he grows up?".
Ugh. People! My old neighbor totally got on my case about that not 2 days after we brought our previous GSD puppy home. "That's an 8 week puppy? It's already so big. You have to take it to obedience training or else it will be aggressive. You'll also need a choke chain for it to keep in under control." All this coming from someone who kept their 30 lb dog on a tie-out in their front yard, allowing it to bark at passing pedestrians on a regular basis. :/

#11 ·
When I first got Keiko, my Shiba Inu about 12 years ago I had countless people come up to me and ask if he was a fox. They genuinely thought he was a fox. Uh yes. I'm going to try and domesticate a WILD ANIMAL and walk it in the city.

Eventually I got so sick of it, I started replying with "yes actually he's half fox. The breeder successfully bred a husky with a wild fox. They're very rare". I either got looks of disbelief or they actually believed me. Sigh. :rolleyes:

#16 · (Edited)
If you can say things with a straight face people will believe a lot. Not about dogs but I use to work at a pet shop. We had a tank with no fish in it but still full of water and people would always ask what was in it. So one day when a man asked what was in the tank I said, invisible fish. He looked at me, I guess to see if I was joking but I kept a straight face and he looked back at the tank. After a minute he got kind of excited and said, oh! I see it, cool.
@Doppelganger0337 some of the myths that surround raw feeding at crazy and I have to wonder how some of them get started. And I'm pretty sure dogs can easily smell our blood. I'm not sure why people think that once a dog 'taste blood' it will become a crazy bloodthirsty monster. I mean, people use dogs to hunt, guard or even police work. And those dogs bite and get a taste of blood but it doesn't make them go around trying to eat people.

#14 ·
I've had two different people ask if Vegas is a pitbull. He is lean with a deep chest, I'm not sure what they saw. I've also had someone say that GSD will turn on you once they get older. And not about a breed in particular but I've been told that (about raw feeding) pork taste like human (???) and if I fed my dogs pork they would become vicious and attack people. And on that same line I suggested pork bones to someone looking for raw bones for their dog and he insisted that because his dog was a pitbull he couldn't give him pork. If the dog got pork he would attack people because humans taste like pork.

#15 ·
When I first moved in to my BF's house his step-dad asked if Bandit would want to eat people now that he's had a taste of blood. I laughed because I thought he was joking until his mom replied saying that Bandit has no idea that humans have blood in them so we were safe. He just nodded because that made sense to him. I don't think I wrapped my head around what they were saying in time to correct them...

#17 ·
@annageckos that invisible fish story just made me laugh out loud hahaha Wish I were there when that happened! :rofl:

#19 ·
I agree, it's all just silly. And even if a dog did eat a human I don't think that will make the dog go around snacking on people. Many LGD are fed the same animals they guard.

#22 ·
Sonic has one blue eye and one brown eye.
I often get asked, 'Is he blind?'
Worse yet, 'is he missing an eye?' I hope that lady wasn't driving home.

#24 ·
I cant personally remember any weird questions that ive been asked about Maye or Sawyer, usually someone just asks why they don't have a tail/were did there tail go.

My sister on the other hand has a supper fluffy shepherd mix (Zena) and she has gotten asked (and in some cases told) that she was a wolf :eyeroll:.

#25 ·
When some people ask what breed Freyja is and I tell them Great Dane they will give me a funny look or say 'I didn't know they came in this color'. It's always either the natural ears or color that throws them off. You'd be surprised how many people had no idea that they are naturally a flop eared dog.

#26 ·
I just took Maye for a walk after she got her nails trimmed (had to go the vets since she doesn't like her paws being touched) and there was another person walking the opposite direction as us. Maye decided to bark at him and as we passed he asked "is that a t-rex"... I had absolutely no idea if he was joking or not. I'm guessing he was since I said "sometimes she can act like it" he then proceded to say something along the lines of shes a pretty dog. So I can only assume and hope that someone doesn't think there are little blue merle t-rex's being walked on a leash and harness in north America.

Reactions: Chas and cld22
#27 ·
Oh man, I could write a novel. I'm surprised when people don't know what breed Levi is. The no tail + blue merle is very obviously an Aussie.
Here are some of the funny ones:
Levi:
-Is he a husky mix/my friend has a husky mix too/my friend's husky looks just like him. Um, no.
-How did he go blind in that eye? (His blue one) I don't know if it is because one is blue and the other brown or if it is because his blue eye has a brown speck in it?
-How did your Border Collie lose his tail?
-What breed is he? [Australian Shepherd] / What combination of breeds gives you that?

Heidi
-Is that a Rottweiler mix?
-Is that a BC GSD mix?
-What breed is that? [Me: Border Collie] Impossible, she isn't just black and white!
-How old is your Bernese Mountain Dog? <--- This one kills me.

#29 ·
I've had more than one person ask 'are those two the parents of the little one?' Asking about Nevada, Vegas and Shorty. As far as I know if you mix a GSD and a lab/pointer you do not get a basset hound. And most people assume that Nevada was male and Vegas female. People also assume that Freyja is a male. I guess black or dark colored dogs are always male and light colors are female. Luckily no one asked if Shorty was a female, I guess the huge testicles help them figure it out. I did have someone ask if Shorty was a puggle.

#33 ·
I was sitting outside with my beagle, Brody, and a car pulled up and the guy got out to approach me. He said, "I know this is going to sound weird, but would you consider letting my beagle mate with yours?" Upon talking further, even though I wasn't interested in the proposal, he told me he doesn't know anything about taking care of a pregnant female, just wanted his kids to get to see the process. He gave me his number and I never called, I actually had an apt later that month to have him fixed.

#34 ·
Probably the weirdest guess I've ever had just happened last week. I was walking with Anne when someone came up and was like, "She's a Dachshund mix, isn't she!". Took a lot to keep from laughing, lol. This is Anne, (looks nothing like a Doxie as far as I'm concerned!) She's actually a Chi mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.