Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought collers and shampoo and just spent the cash but i cant get rid of these fleas on my little girl (Lucy :D )What do ya'll recommend???:confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a fellow Arkansan also, I battle fleas all year round.:mad:

If you have carpets in your home, I would put out a flea
bomb in my house, and take my dogs to the vet to get
a flea dip while you wait for the bomb to do it's duty and
then clear. I would also use Adam's Flea and Tick Shampoo
and Spray, works wonderfully. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Advantage on the dogs and the cat. You need to put it on religiously once a month as it helps to kill the fleas on the dog and in the environment. I would flea bomb your house and put the spot on treatment on the animals at the same time, give yourself the best chance of killing them all. As for the yard the spot on treatment will eventually clear those up, I think it makes the fleas in fertile or something. Dunno how it works, but works for us.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. Totally non toxic, safe for you and your pets. It works for all stages of bugs period! It really works!

Here is a great website to check out.
Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Want to keep mosquitoes and other flying bugs off you and your pets? Go to Bugrepel.com This really works too and it smells great! She has all sorts of products including the FGDE.

Also great for in the house and on carpeting, go to Fleabusters.com

For your yard, go to a garden center and see if they have the 6lb bags of diatomaceous powder for your yard. They mix a few other things in this, but it's still safe to use in your yard. Don't put this one on your pet, but it is safe enough for your pet(s) to walk through. This one only costs $10 per bag and they go a long way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recommend Frontline. It's the BEST flea killer out there.

Also, make sure that you are bombing your house. The dog may be free of fleas for a day, but if your house is not then she'll just get it back.
Frontline is expensive but works extremely well. I've never heard a case that it didn't work.

NaturVet sells flea powder and shampoo...they have a 100% money back guarantee on ALL their products so they are definately worth trying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a little trick we read about last summer. We had a flea infestation in our house. We had 2 inside dogs and none of the spot treatmnts worked and i was bitten all over. After we sprayed our house several time I put a night light in each room and put a small bowl of soapy water under the nightlight on the floor. If there are any fleas in that room you will know it. You will find them in the bowl.I did this and was never bothered by them the rest of the season.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm also going to go with Frontline.

For years I battled fleas, I bath the dogs and cats, bomb my house, spray the yard and a week later it was as if I didn't do a thing, my animals and house would be covered, it was a nightmare.

Then I finally broke down and paid the price for frontline. Got to the point that I figured with everything else I was doing I was already paying a small fortune so why not? In the end, it was the cheapest flea prevention I did.

The effect wasn't instant, but well worth the wait. But most important of all, it broke the flea cycle like nothing else. Considering I had a major infestation of fleas regardless of what I did, I now only see maybe two fleas a year and that's only if we have a hot humid summer. Considering I have two dogs and three house cats, that is nothing. Frontline even broke the flea cycle so much that my barn cats don't have fleas and they were never even treated. Just remember to treat all dogs and cats at the same time.

And best of all, frontline does not have an expiration date. I have actually gone through several entire flea seasons without a single flea now that the cycle is broken, but if I notice even one, I treat the crew and stop it in it's tracks, I only buy frontline every few years. And organic gardener me is so relieved at not having to spray the yard or having poisons sprayed in my house.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A flea infestation inside the home is cleared up by using ten day cycles, the time it takes for new eggs to hatch, treat the home and the dog, bombs are ok for the home. Treat the home again in ten days, this will kill all the hatchlings, if you use front line or something like that follow directions on treatment. The 10 day cycle is important.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yes you need to treat the house in order to get rid of the problem. If you only treat the pet the problem still persists. Treat the house and the pets together. Bombs are the best ways for homes. GL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Avon's Skin So Soft. I put it on my dogs and the fleas start jumping off them! Plus it makes their hair soft and shiny and it's not expensive!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use yeast as a weapon. Fleas reportedly don't like the taste of yeast. Although this has not been proven, many people swear by it. Buy some brewer's or nutritional yeast and rub it onto your pet's skin. You can also sprinkle a small amount onto their wet food and mix it in....

or

Make your own herbal flea dip for pets. Take two cups of fresh rosemary leaves and add them to two pints of water. Boil for thirty minutes. Strain the liquid, discard the leaves and mix it with up to a gallon of warm water. Pour this over your pet until they are saturated. Do not rinse off, but allow your pet to air dry.

or

Spread salt over the surface of your carpet. Salt is a desiccant, meaning it saps the moisture from things and dries them out. When a salt crystal attaches itself to a flea, it will attach itself to the flea. This causes chafing and scraping on the flea, essentially bleeding the flea to death as it walks.

1.Use very fine-grained salt for this. The finer the better; you want it to be small enough to attach itself to the flea.
2.After 7-10 days, vacuum the salted area very thoroughly, making sure to pick up all the salt and flea carcasses from the carpet area. Repeat the process one or two more times.
3.When you're done vacuuming, discard the old vacuum bag from the vacuum and replace it with a new one. Seal the discarded vacuum bag in a plastic bag and discard outside the house.

Make a citrus spray. Slice a lemon thinly, add to a pint of water and heat to a boiling point. Let it sit overnight and in the morning, put the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray it onto areas where you suspect fleas hang out (beware of staining). Be sure to also rub it over your cat's/dog's fur. Don't soak, but dampen the fur. Do this once a month to combat fleas.
Another way to make a citrus spray is to buy essential oils (available at natural food stores); you can buy a bottle of lemon oil and add 10-20 drops per ounce of water.
This is something to do on a hot day only: Add 2 to 3 drops of the lemon mixture under your pet's collar to help keep fleas off.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Whitebane, since this thread is almost 4 years old it may be more helpful to start a new thread.

When I've had severe flea infestations the only thing that worked to get rid of them was a topical flea preventive.

·
Registered
666 Posts
A couple of years ago the Advantage quit working. Frontline caused a horrible sore on our Labrador that had to be tended to under anesthesia. So for the last couple of years, we have used Comfortis. Works great, is comparable in price to Frontline, and there's no icky residue for kids to avoid.

Comfortis MUST be given on a full stomach to aid in absorption and to prevent your pet from the possibility of throwing up. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts