Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

ยท
Registered
Scotty, Standard Schnauzer, Age: 15-16 years old
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the BEST dog food for my boy?
He's a Senior 15-16 years old.
He's a Standard Schnauzer.
BUT he's honestly overweight!๐Ÿ™„ I cut down his intake a good bit but he doesn't seem to lose weight he only seems to gain it STILL!๐Ÿค”
Then again, I am coming to a realization that it's STILL my fault cause it's most likely the wet dog food we've been giving him๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ
So today I plan on going out and buying the best that I can!
I've been reading up on brands since last night, & the one thing that did stand out was people making their OWN healthy dog food?!
Does anyone here do that for their fur baby?! Or maybe has anyone ever just tried it once? &If so what was the outcome?๐Ÿค”
I'm just trying to get as much info as I can on this before I make the decision at the store of course! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

I know......I've been the WORST dog mom in the world! I'm SO sorry!๐Ÿ˜”

But anyways, Thank y'all SO MUCH in advance for your time, feedback, & help of course too!
We are VERY grateful!!๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

ยท
Registered
249 Posts
There are so many variables to consider, this article may be helpful:

Senior Dog Food Guide for Older Dogs - Nom Nom (nomnomnow.com)

My dogs were all fed and did well on a high protein/low carbohydrate, all life stages diets, (Acana) their whole lives, right through their senior years,(into their teens) so I saw no reason to change it.

Keep in mind that some dog foods are very high in carbohydrates which can cause unnecessary weight gain in dogs. To calculate the carbohydrate content of a food add together the following from the guaranteed analysis : crude protein, fat, moisture, and ash (if ash is not listed in the guaranteed analysis then use an average of 6%) then subtract the total from 100 (to give an estimated carbohydrate content).

When my senior girl needed to lose a little weight, I put her on a high protein/low fat (lower fat- 12%) (Acana Light and Fit), and she did lose the weight over time.

ยท
Registered
193 Posts
Opinions and correct answers can both vary, but I see great results across 3 breeds of varying size, coats, ages and activity with PMR

No fat dogs in this house

ยท
Registered
583 Posts
I can't say it's the best food for your boy, this is just what I fed/feed my pups.

I'm also feeding Acana to my mini schnauzer pup and he seems to be doing great on it, I'll prob switch to adult soon and keep him on Acana.

I used to feed my 1st two minis Fromm, and it was a good food, but i switched to Acana for my pup due to the higher protein content and the ingredients look very good (on paper) IMO.

When my girl started having issues with her kidneys, I was making her low protein diet and adding renal supplement from the vet. She hated the special vet food so that was a no go. She didn't like wet mushy food so I ended up making oatmeal biscuits with supplements to make up half her diet (to cut protein). I used a recipe the vet gave me and just made them into biscuits. The only reason I cooked/baked for her is because the special vet kibble was garbage and she wouldn't eat it and I had to try and get her to eat. Otherwise she was eating Fromm most of all her life.

ยท
Registered
Scotty, Standard Schnauzer, Age: 15-16 years old
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you ALL๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ
SO SO much!!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿพ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts