Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a fairly new puppy that I am looking for a good food for. Right now she is on Nutro Puppy, But we are trying to get a slightly lower price. Any suggestions for good food for puppies that's not overly expensive? Wet or dry will do. She is an Aussie if that changes anything. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking into is a little, I found Instinct Puppy with freeze dried chicken, this fits all of our needs! Is this a good one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The freeze-dried units are of an ideal size for treats, use as rewards while training your dog, or add to your dog's bowl at meal times. The brand markets it as a complete diet, but note that it doesn't contain much fruits or vegetables—mostly meat.

How to select the right dog food
#1. Consider the dog’s age and activity level
Dogs are of different ages, and the various ages adopt different activity levels. So, are we talking about a young pup, a middle-aged dog, or an aged dog? You need to determine the age and how active the dog is before determining the type of food to buy. Once you have done this, conduct some research designated to find the appropriate type of food.

If you are dealing with active breeds, puppies, and lactating mothers, you will not go wrong once you select a dog food with more calories. On the other hand, seniors and dogs that are naturally inactive will need food with less calories. Therefore, be sure to conduct a research aimed at picking the right dog food to keep health issues at bay as a result of obesity.

#2. Know the ingredients
If this helps, it would be appropriate for you to conduct a research aimed at having complete knowledge of the effect each ingredient will have on the health of your dog. The fact that dogs are omnivores but prefer meat more should tell you that you need to get a dog food that includes meat as the first ingredient.

Therefore, look for a food that lists meat as the highest percentage, but ensure that it also states the kind of meat that is included. After all, you will not want to get a dog that includes beef while you have a pup that prefers chicken. Therefore, be sure to take a food your dog will be comfortable to eat. Furthermore, avoid dog foods that list grains as the first ingredient.

#3. Determine your brand
Besides knowing the ingredients, you should have an idea of the best dog food brand. After all, you will agree with me when I say that not all manufacturers are passionate about manufacturing the best food. Hence, you will need to look for a food that comes from a manufacturer like Rachael ray who spends a lot of time and resources on creating the best dog food.

Besides, who wants to risk the health of his/her furry friend as a result of purchasing a low-quality food? I believe that you are not one of those individuals.

#4. Consider the number of grains and gluten in the food
Grains are not bad for dogs. However, for dogs with allergens, food that contains grains may not be the best pick. As such, it is always best that you dedicate sometime to find out whether your pup is allergic to grains. If it is, opt for a grain-free recipe. On the other hand, avoid much gluten in the dog food since you do not want to deal with health issues as a result of much sugar that results in diabetes.

#5. Nutritional Adequacy Statement
To make your work easier and accurate, it is always best to look for the nutritional adequacy statement before purchasing a dog food. Wondering what I am talking about? If yes, you ought to know that the nutritional adequacy statement refers to the statement that says whether the food is complete and balanced for maintenance of all life stages, adult dogs, or puppies.

That way, you can be sure to make your work easier when trying to locate the right food for different types of dogs based on the ages. So, be sure to read the bag or can the food is contained so that you can locate the best food for the dog in the picture.

#6. Net weight of the food
How many mouths do you have to feed? You do not want to purchase a package that will last for a day leaving you to go back to the market. As a result, you will need to purchase a dog food that comes in a package that will last since you do not to go back to the market within a short time of making a purchase.

Therefore, the more dogs you feed, the higher the amount you should get. After all, you will save some amount by acquiring a bigger package than a lot of small packages.

#7. Size of the food chunks
Besides the net weight of the food, you will need to pay some attention to the size of the food chunks. The reason behind this is that you do not want to purchase a dog food that features big particles when you are getting food for a small pup. Therefore, be sure to get dog food that features small kibbles when you are getting one for small puppies to avoid chocking.

#8. Have a look on by-products
What does the manufacturer has said about by-products? What about artificial preservatives, synthetic colors, chemicals, and artificial flavors? Never forget to find out the answer to this especially if you care about the wellbeing of your pup, In this case, avoid foods that contain such substances since they are not healthy for your friends.

You can depend on the Rachael Ray dog food brand when you want to put this point into practice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’d stay away from any foods with corn, soy, wheat, or by products. None of these are great ingredients for any dogs.

Also look for foods that are high in protein and low in carb. You can calculate this by taking 100, minus 6 for ash (average vitamins and mineral spray), and subtracting everything else In the gaurenteed food analysis.

Some foods that are high in protein low in carb are Zignature (all life stages), Farmina Prime, Essence (all life stages), Orijen, and Acana.
Try stopping into your local pet store and ask if they have any samples of foods too to try out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts