Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will soon be getting a puppy and I was wondering what a good flea and tick preventative is. I was thinking maybe Bayer K9 Advantix II. It repels; Biting flies, Mosquitoes (which is pretty necessary since we get a LOT of mosquitoes in the summer), Chewing lice, fleas, ticks, flea eggs and flea larva. Is there a better one? I have heard it has a lot of chemicals in it, and that some dogs get rashes from it. Also what works best? A collar, chew/treat, the stuff you put down their back, or homemade? I am a little weary about homemade since I am unsure it would work but I am open to anything! And last question is, if you are using it on a not full grown puppy, should you go by the weight that they are currently or the weight they should be when full grown?
Thank you so much!
:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's a hard question. So many different opinions and experiences!

Some flea and tick medications can be quite dangerous, causing neurological symptoms and chemical burns, so make sure to get something with lots of good reviews.

There are lots of opinions on pills versus drops versus collars. My family is allergic to the collars and the chemicals getting on people's hands may not be the best for you, so I might avoid that.

We use a pill. Trifexis. The fleas in our area actually became immune to the medication we used before (drops) so we switched and haven't had a problem.

Also, certain breeds are sensitive to medications like ivermectin (Aussies and similar breeds), so keep that in mind.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess it all depends on where you live what the extent of the problem is. I have had 5 dogs and umpteen cats and only seen fleas twice..which were treated. I don't do it routinely . I have never seen a tick ! If I lived where it was more of a problem...I would defiantly be preventative ...fleas are horrid. Have a chat to your vet and check info on Pet Express.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The best treatment is the one that works for your dog and you.

People vary in their reccomendations based on their own experience. Ive never liked collars , why? Because I think they smell nasty and I like to pet my dogs and hate the collar touching my hands they make me itch.

Some people use pills I dont use them because they dont prevent the flea from biting but only kill it once the bite has taken place,
Some people use sprays and I have in the past but these proved ineffective

I use a spot on (Advantix) because we walk in long grass and woodlands and there are a lot of ticks. But I only use it in the worst months of the year. This year each of my dogs has had one tick bite even though we are out every single day in tick populated areas.

What I do give them daily is a cube of sheep fat with garlic which works in a natural way to deter fleas and ticks and then use the spot on to bolster that in the summer.

There have been no fleas on my dogs in over 10 years using this method.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Ask ten people and you will likely get ten different answers. Not all work in all geographic regions and not all work the same from dog to dog. Ours, for instance, became extremely ill from Trifexis, lost most of the use of her back legs, for about 48 hours, yet many dogs do just fine with it. Using Nexgard, she wouldn't eat for the better part of a week after administering it to her, so both those are out for us. She seems to tolerate frontline, maybe a little lethargic for a day or two, but nothing serious, so thats what we stick with. Others say frontline is ineffective, though using it, we do not have flea problems. Also, I do not apply it to her during the winter months. In our area, that means she gets it, probably eight months of the year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts