Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking online and a few people were saying "Nutro Natural Choice" dog food was not the best choice due to all kinds of recalls, but on the actual site people give it great reviews.

Currently, I am feeding my two boys "Nutro; Natural Choice; Large breed puppy formula" (they are 11 week old American Pit bull Terriers.) And it seems to work well, their coats are noticeably softer, they're growing up nice and thick, and they seem to enjoy the taste very much.

Currently I go through a 40lb bag ($50 a bag) every 3 weeks, And all these sites I was reading had me thinking this was not the best choice..

I guess the point of this is, what is your take on this brand of food? And furthermore, what brand would you recommend instead, that won't break the bank, and comes in bigger bags?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm a fan of grain-free. But whatever (good quality) that works for your dog is good. No reason to change. I dont really care about recalls that much. There is that risk with any commercial dog food.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a fan of grain-free. But whatever (good quality) that works for your dog is good. No reason to change. I dont really care about recalls that much. There is that risk with any commercial dog food.
Posted via Mobile Device
I chose it on a recommendation of the pet store, and also because I could not afford the expensive Blue Buffalo brand. I didn't know grain wasn't good in their diet? Is it a big issue?

also I will keep my eye out for other brands that may top it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
No if your dog does well on it, it means grain is fine for them. Im sure some people tell you grain-free is best, but i believe that really depends on the dog.
Grain-free or not, you want to stay away from wheat, corn, soy, by-product meal, or meat meal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! My family has owned quite a few dogs when I was a kid, but I have never had my own until recently. I just want to do what's best for them!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I feed taste of the wild right now. 44$ for 30lb. I tried blue before but wasnt happy. So whats good for many dogs didnt work for mine. My favorite is acana but cant afford it right now. Look at the ingredients of different foods and compare. But as i said, stay away from those ingedients mentioned above.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
There's no right answer. We feed Blue Wilderness puppy- we pay $45 for a 24lb bag. I also always have a $5 coupon from their website (got 6 so far) so it works out to $40 for 24lb. We've had this current bag since thanksgiving. We've got about a week's worth left so it works out to a little more than a month. Found that she eats less of the better food so it works out well. Less poop too.
Do what works for you and your dogs. Coupons are ussually available from manufacturer website and such... Plus store discounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
824 Posts
There are just so dang many foods out there. What works for one may or may not work for another. If your dogs are doing well, I'd leave it alone for now. Give yourself time to research brands and switchover slowly... but they're little and I personally wouldn't risk tummy upset issues with such young dogs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and how much are you feeding? Sounds like a lot for two puppies?!
Posted via Mobile Device
I feed them 3 times a day, and about 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups a serving. I just checked the bag, i actually have half a bag left (my mistake) So i'd say I am going through a 40lb bag every 6 weeks.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
If you find a brand that works for you, grain free you'll notice they eat a lot less of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you find a brand that works for you, grain free you'll notice they eat a lot less of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seriously? Here I've been almost coaxing him to eat. He won't eat his breakfast until later in the day and he won't eat all his supper either.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seriously? Here I've been almost coaxing him to eat. He won't eat his breakfast until later in the day and he won't eat all his supper either.
Posted via Mobile Device
My pups were like that at first. We had to mix the food with hot water and let it sit until it turned into a gravy with it, and when we wanted to end that, we would put a small amount of wet mixed with dry. (just enough to get some one every piece)

Then from there we stopped adding anything, and next thing you know they eat dry food plain now! Every dog needs different tricks for eating sometimes.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
thats A LOT of food, even for a grain inclusive food. careful! you dont want to cause rapid growth. and also what you call "thick" could be fat. pups shouldnt be chunky, they should be very lean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats A LOT of food, even for a grain inclusive food. careful! you dont want to cause rapid growth. and also what you call "thick" could be fat. pups shouldnt be chunky, they should be very lean.
I'm not sure if this was meant for me or not?
But I bought the "controlled growth" formula large breed puppy formula.
But as for being chunky, my boys aren't. They aren't too skinny either though, they look healthy weight wise. I think I have a good balance. If they get chunky I will definitely cut back on food though.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My pups were like that at first. We had to mix the food with hot water and let it sit until it turned into a gravy with it, and when we wanted to end that, we would put a small amount of wet mixed with dry. (just enough to get some one every piece)

Then from there we stopped adding anything, and next thing you know they eat dry food plain now! Every dog needs different tricks for eating sometimes.
He eats...just not as much as he used to which was about 3cups a day. At 90+ lbs, he's just right

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I don't think they need large breed...I'd consider large breed great danes, etc. They're medium size.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think they need large breed...I'd consider large breed great danes, etc. They're medium size.
Posted via Mobile Device
The bag said "For puppies over 50lbs (full grown)"
Their father was around 95lbs, and their mother was around 90lbs. (The parents are about the size of rottweilers height wise)
It helps prevent things like hip displasia. (sp?)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Posted via Mobile Device
Here is the mother when she was pregnant.

I didn't realize the picture was so big, sorry I fixed it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It is more about protein, calcium and phos levels when it comes to "large breed puppy" type foods. You'll find with those foods, those levels will often be lower -- going to the controlled growth thing. Many other foods may have acceptable levels, but you have to specifically look for that. Often the bag just says "minimum xxx calcium." I've had to actually call the companies to get more specifics, and to get max levels.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts