Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Ok so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some suggestions? I got my lovely doggy Izzy about a year ago, I wasn't after a specific breed (she's a rescue).. anyway when I got her I was told she was a springer spaniel x husky, since then we have had numerous people commenting on what breed she is, people have said collie mix etc vet seems to think she's a springer x collie... anyone have suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I see almost pure Border Collie, although she seems a bit "thicker" than your average BC. Maybe a BC x Lab.

Reactions: Parly

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
border collie plus some kind of terrier perhaps?
the head reminds me of terrier.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Appearance can be misleading.

I sometimes find dogs that look like breed X, only to find they are actually half A and half B. Once I am told what they are, I can see the exact traits from each breed, but brought together in a way that it actually resembles a whole different breed.

Visually your dog does look a lot like a border collie, but I wonder how much of that is the coloration.

This spaniel has a coloration that is pretty much identical to a BC.

The sled dog side could be modifying the body enough from the basic spaniel type to give ears and tail and muzzle like a BC. Sled dogs often have that wider chest which your dog appears to have. Still, I'd expect a sled dog x spaniel to have a longer coat.

Most important in this case I think is how the dog ACTS. Does it seem to be interested in herding? Does it seem to be fixated with the scent of gamebirds?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Border Collie through and through! Maybe a bit of added extra but without doubt you have yourself a Collie. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lovely looking dog.

I see a border collie, but I also see squareness to the head that isn't collie like or spaniel like. So a heavy headed breed like a staffie played its part somewhere in the ancestry, in my opinion.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Appearance can be misleading.

I sometimes find dogs that look like breed X, only to find they are actually half A and half B. Once I am told what they are, I can see the exact traits from each breed, but brought together in a way that it actually resembles a whole different breed.

Visually your dog does look a lot like a border collie, but I wonder how much of that is the coloration.

This spaniel has a coloration that is pretty much identical to a BC.

The sled dog side could be modifying the body enough from the basic spaniel type to give ears and tail and muzzle like a BC. Sled dogs often have that wider chest which your dog appears to have. Still, I'd expect a sled dog x spaniel to have a longer coat.

Most important in this case I think is how the dog ACTS. Does it seem to be interested in herding? Does it seem to be fixated with the scent of gamebirds?
I mostly agree with this. But that dog you posted, other than color doesn't look like a BC to me. But about traits, I have a dog who is half lab, half english pointer. He isn't outgoing, doesn't like other dogs, doesn't swim, doesn't retrieve, doesn't like other animals. The main traits of hunting dogs he doesn't have. So going by traits isn't always reliable either. But it is always good to look at traits. Just remember it doesn't always work out.
The OP's dog, my first thought was BC, but I think there is something else in there, and I can't place it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Man if it weren't for those stockier legs I'd say pure but not show-bred Border Collie. I've seen more than a few shortcoated borders around, but they seem very fine-boned and yours seems heavier set. The face and the way the ears are carried reminds me intensely of Sammy, who was a spaniel-pitbull mix. I'm gonna have to say a labbish sort of thing might be in there, I put your dog in photoshop and colored in all the white, and she looked very normal for a young black lab at that point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts