Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wonderful post & information. There are so many people out there that are unaware of parvo and the seriousness and results of it as well. My 8 year old chow/retriever is actually a parvo surviver.
I got her from the a local animal shelter when she was 6 weeks old and shortly after that discovered she has parvo. And as you mentioned the symtoms start with vomitting, diarehha, not wanting to eat or drink and being lathargic. If you see your puppy experiencing these symptoms it is important to get them into the vet right away, time is critical.
I am now terrified of parvo! And go strictly by book with shots and dates that my dogs get shots. I just got a new puppy and he has only had two sets of shots so until he has received all sets, I have chosen to not let him walk on the ground or be exposed to other dogs or puppies aside from our dogs and our fenced in yard. This is a topic that everyone should be aware of, great post!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 8 month old Weim cross came down with parvo recently and she had been fully vaccinated with even her booster. This is rare I guess and the vet even said it was at the odd time of year. It started out with extreme vomiting yellow foam and then yellowish bloody stools. She had loss of appetite for four days. No drinking or eating. We gave her subcutaneous antibiotics and subcutaneous iv fluid. She made it through roughly but did! Our Zeus came to us a week and half ago and his vacinations were unknown. We got him the adult booster shortly after we got him. Unfortunately he was exposed and we pray he did have his shots before. So far he has shown some possible signs he has contracted it. but it is very mild so far. Nasty bug and is very hard on your pups...Becca would not of made it if she was much younger....But it is important to vacinate...even though Becca did get them while she had the complete shots until she recieved even her booster....it would of been harder on her had she not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,
I need advice. I have a 10 week old italian mastiff x doberman and we have only had him since last Monday and he was fine but as the days went on, he got more and more lazy and just wanted to sleep. Finally by yesterday morning he was puking and had bad diahrea so we called the emergency vet and brought him in. She right away said all the symptoms and even the smell pointed at it being parvo. The snap test came back negative but she said it happens and its very likely thats what it was and that he needed to stay. As the day went on he got worse and today he is still on the IV and medication and she said we can keep him fighting for a few more days or we can put him down. I really do not want to do that and I want him to survive more than anything. I just want to know how likely it is that he will pull through. He is still in pretty bad shape but what would you do? Our vet bill is already pretty high and I know logically if he doesnt live its a pretty hefty bill but I also could not live with myself just letting him go and not knowing if he would've pulled through.

Thoughts? Anything? My heart is just aching.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just dont want him to suffer :( I am hoping more than anything he pulls through. I got him from a breeder about 5 hours from where I am from. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. I emailed her and let her know what was going on and to make sure her dogs are fine. She said its all good there so I am not sure where he got it or how this happened :(

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Parvo dogs that are that sick need at least 4-5 days in the hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics in order to have a chance. Like Pawzaddict said, if you can afford it, give him the chance. Good Luck.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Oh....hun Backyard breeders dont care about their pups normally and parvo tends to happen in this homes because of lack of vaccinating and cleaning between litters....If you kept the dog in your home and yard away from where other dogs can go then I am sure he got it there. In the future I would look into a rescue group who vaccinates their dogs and stay away from the backyard breeders of this world. I hope your puppy makes it through.

And ditto Holly. My cousins dog got parvo and parasites and was in the hospital for 3 weeks because of the 2 ailments. I would give a parvo puppy over a week to show improvement or worsening. Also, did your vet run other bloodwork to make sure if something else is going on they treat that as well?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your advice.

So, update. Over the night he did much much better and today he perked up a tonne.. now she sent him home with me with antibiotics, neausea pills, and "recovery" canned food that I am to mix with water.. I cleaned his kennel with bleach and he has fresh water in there and he seems fine so far much better than when we brought him in there. I am still very very worried and on edge :( Isnt this too soon to have him home? She said she thought it would be better for him and that the comfort of his own home would help with recovery. Should I keep my other dog away from him? I have been @ work ALL day and havent had a chance to even clean my yard so I am super worried about my other dog. I will die if he gets sick too :(

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Is your other dog vaccinated?

I had a puppy die of parvo last year, I bought him from what many would think of as a reputable breeder (does her health testing, shows her dogs, etc) but he was sick when I got him. I gave my other dogs boosters as soon as we found out he was positive for parvo, and they did not get sick but they are adults and had been vacc'd as puppies.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If your other dog is vaccinated then he SHOULD be fine but no vaccine is 100%. I'd be very very careful about proper hygeine and I'd keep them separated.

To be honest, I would not have sent him home. The #1 problem and cause of death due to parvo is dehydration because he can't absorb water through his intestines well with this disease (hence the need for IV fluids). I'd be VERY observant with him over the next few weeks, be diligent with the antibiotics and encourage water intake. Watch for any signs of decline-- won't eat, looks weak, has diarrhea etc.

All of that being said, I have heard people treating parvo puppies at home if the owners can't afford hospitalization. I just don't feel it's the safest way to go about it but it is possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I had thought all along he was there for another 3 days atleast.. as of yesterday we didnt even know if he was going to live. I am honestly not comfortable with it because he seemed ok-ish but now he wont eat a thing and I am trying to get him to drink but he wont :( still seems weak.. no poop yet to tell if its runny. He did pee a very dark yellow pee in my car which he NEVER does.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
IF you are not feeling comfortable with it, take him back and ask for him to be hospitalized. What are they going to tell you, no? Say you're too concerned that he's not doing well.

Dark yellow pee could indicate that he's dehydrated among other things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sorry I took so long to update. Sammy is doing way better. After losing a lot of weight he has gained it back and he is growing more & more everyday. We have seen a beautiful personality we didnt get the chance to see before he got sick. He is such an amazing dog and we are so lucky he pulled through!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had the same thing happen. We got Hatchi on a Monday and the following Monday, he was vomiting even though he hadn't eaten anything. Luckily the kids were home to keep an eye on him. I brought him to the vet and luckily we caught it early, as he hadn't had diarhea yet. Tuesday he was better. Wednesday he was in such a bad way to the point where we went to visit him thinking we would lose him that night.

Thursday he was better but they wanted to make sure he was eating on his own and Friday, they just wanted him out of there as he was really annoying.

That was when he was 3 months old. He,s almost 6 months now and I'm not sure if he has a funny stomach because of that but he's got much more energy and now at least he's immune for life against Parvo.

Another vet at that clinic said she was surprised that he had survived Parvo cuz so many don,t make it - count your blessings that he pulled through. He's a strong dog! So's mine!

·
Registered
471 Posts
My puppy had parvo too when he was 2 months old. When we've adopted him he was around 3 months and already recovered from it, but he was so thin and often has diarrhea. So after going to a vet for a few times, we've finally understood that his GI sensitivity is due to his intestines still recovering from parvo's damage. The vet analyzed his belly and hardness of his intestines, and then said that his intestines are not in a good shape yet but after a year he will recover totally, but 'till then we must be very careful with what he eats. So now we are giving him junior intestinal food and no snacks or bones 'till he recovers.

I just want to contribute coz it seems that the GI sensitivity after parvo is not very explained, so that this might be useful for owners to understand in case their dogs has diarrhea even after parvo recovery.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sheep good input! Not all dogs have these issues after a bout of parvo, but some certainly do! Thats the tough thing about the disease, one pup can get over it easily and have no ill effects but then another can have them. TY for that :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Parvo

The symptoms will start after about a week from exposure. One day they are fine, and the next they are VERY SICK. I lost a puppy to parvo and she was in the hospital for a week. Her heart finally gave out and she died. The breeder I bought her from lost the whole litter. I got my money back for the price of the puppy, but not the $1000 vet bills. She actually wanted me give me another puppy. I declined of course.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.