Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
We are in the states. It seems that you have to have a lawyer for everything. So we figured we would have to have an attorney. That is good to know that you can complain. This happened over 2 yrs ago. But we are very cautious of vets now. We had been going to that veterinary hospital and their vets,for a long time. Now we won't go there unless for an emergency if we can't find another vet. When we asked the administrator if we could get another vet to take over our puppy's care and he refused, we lost all confidence in that facility.Thank you tonka. We were very frustrated and did feel helpless.

·
Banned
6 Posts
To prevent parvo, veterinarians recommend having every puppy properly vaccinated during the first 20 weeks of life and annually each year after. With the proper vaccination your dog will be protected from the virus, but if you believe your unprotected dog has contracted the virus or know he has been exposed, you should consult a veterinarian. If you have a dog without vaccination records or are unsure of their http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-medical-history.htmmedical history, you should take them to a veterinarian for examination.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
We are in the states. It seems that you have to have a lawyer for everything. So we figured we would have to have an attorney. That is good to know that you can complain. This happened over 2 yrs ago. But we are very cautious of vets now. We had been going to that veterinary hospital and their vets,for a long time. Now we won't go there unless for an emergency if we can't find another vet. When we asked the administrator if we could get another vet to take over our puppy's care and he refused, we lost all confidence in that facility.Thank you tonka. We were very frustrated and did feel helpless.
I find this situation very odd. Parvo has a distinct presentation (and smell!!!) I'm surprised that she didn't test for it, to be honest. Every puppy or unvaccinated dog with profuse bloody diarrhea should be a suspect. I'm also surprised she assumed Salmonella without doing a fecal culture but given the diet I can see the rationale.

You could go to the state board, but all she will get is a warning to be more cautious. I hope you did call the vet after the diagnosis and inform her of her deadly oversight...

Someone asked earlier what the symptoms were-- they're very nonspecific like lethargy, anorexia, sometimes vomiting but LOTS of watery diarrhea-- and it is usually bloody... and contains sloughing pieces of intestine. It smells unlike anything you've ever smelled before. The cause of death is dehydration for the most part, +/- infection from the lack of intestinal lining. If caught earlier enough then can do very well. I'm so sorry yours wasn't... :-(

And yes, new vet needed... I'm flabbergasted that they refused transfer of care! That is your right as the pets owner!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The first time we took him in he didn't have bloody diahrrea. He had a fever was lethargic and had watery white stools. She didn't test him for Salmonella or Parvo. She just jumped to the conclusion that it was Salmonella because of his diet. When we took him back in, with bloody stools, the other vet took a Parvo test immediately. and said he had Parvo. I talked to the first vet and she said to me " I could kick myself for not doing a Parvo test on him". At this time I didn't know anything about Parvo. And the person we got the puppy from waited too long to vaccinate him. He had the Parvo virus when we got him. We had him almost a month before he got sick.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Being that it wasn't bloody initially and the diet choice, I see why she jumped to that conclusion, though she absolutely shouldn't have. Vaccines are so crucial...

Given her response, it sounds like she won't be making that mistake again and hopefully her future patients and clients won't go through what you did.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I believe it, a little while ago lots of irresponsible people on Fort Carson weren't vaccinating their pets and they had a terrible problem with Parvo. They even put out alerts on Craigslist to let people know they needed to vaccinate their pets.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Wow, that's crazy... something as simple as vaccinating and not allowing unprotected puppies to be exposed could have prevented so much suffering...

·
Registered
171 Posts
We live where a lot of Illegals live. Not all of them but a lot of them don't treat their dogs like a lot of us do. They don't spay or neuter their dogs. There is a lot of puppies born here. And either they don't know about vaccinating for diseases or don' want to or feel they can't afford to. And a lot of dogs get abandoned here if they decide they don't want them or they move out of the country. We had packs of wild dogs until AC started coming out more often. It was getting dangerous for people and pets because of the wild dogs. A pack of wild dogs broke into our yard and killed my 2 pet chickens and my Guinea Hen. Our next door neighbor lost 2 puppies to Parvo right after our puppy died. I vaccinate our dogs. Our puppy was 10 wks old when we got it. It got it's first shot the morning before we picked it up. I didn't know anything about Parvo. I had never been around it or knew anybody that had. So I didn't know the puppy should have had it's shot before that. I sure learned a lot about Parvo in a very short time. I found out later at that time a lot of neighbor's puppies died of Parvo. Whole litters. When you have people that don't vaccinate their dogs you have epidemics.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I for one thank you again. I wish had known about Parvo. And I found out since then a lot of people don' know. I think we need to tell as many people about it, as we can. And a forum like this one is a very good way to educate many people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new... and my dog might have Parvo

Hey guys! I'm new and I kind of like it here so far! ;)

So let me begin by saying that I have a vet appointment tommorrow morning, I understand you are not vets and I don't feel my situation is an emergency (not yet, anyway), otherwise I would be at a 24 hour vet right now. :) But I would greatly appreciate it if you could share some of your knowledge with me and others reading this.

Can dogs who have been vaccinated still get Parvo? I know it is more common in puppies but how about dogs over a year old?

My guy has had all his shots but I plan on asking for a Parvo test tommorrow just in case. My vet is kind of old school and I find he doesn't really explore his options unless I come right out and ask him to try this or that. Are there any other tests other than Parvo I should be asking for?

Cuba's symptoms are: loss of appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, mopiness, sleeping steady, looking like he just got his heart broken.

Poor little guy....

·
Registered
37 Posts
No injections are not 100% succesful......Dogs can still get the disease but it tends to be more of a prob in younger dogs as the antibody protection they recieve from thier mothers milk interferes with the injection.Some vets like my vet tend to have me bring dogs in every year for boosters and thankfully we never had prob with any of my dogs but we see alot less of Parvo in the UK

I would also haave your dog tested for Lyme Disease

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an update. My vet thinks Cuba had Giardia. He gave him a couple of injections and his symptoms subsided within 8 hours. He appears to be all better now!
Thanks, Stevo, for responding.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts