Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Bandit thinking he was a full bred papillon. He is now 24 pounds when he was supposed to reach up to 12 pounds. He also does not have the same structure as a papillon. He is a wonderful dog, smart and lovable. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the breed he is mixed with.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Along with the pics, could you please give us more information about how you got him, and what you were told regarding his breeding or past.

I got my dog from a rescue, and was told that he was a "papillon mix". It was not until I had the original papers from the animal shelter that I saw he was listed as a "long-haired chihuahua mix". This seemed unlikely, as he is 12.5 pounds, but I now believe he is a chihuahua mix with no papillon.

Oftentimes shelters and rescues have to make a wild guess as to the breed(s) of the dog, or are given misinformation by the previous owners. I think there is a temptation to make the dog sound as appealing as possible, perhaps leaning toward certain breeds. Unscrupulous breeders and pet stores would be highly motivated to make the dog sound more appealing, so don't believe everything you hear.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sadly, I can't see the pictures either.

I have seen a few purebred papillons that have reached 18-20 lbs. Not common at all but not totally out of the picture.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In addition the breed should weigh in around 6-10 lbs usually. There's no weight limit but a height limit. That said most non-show bred papillons are bigger than this and I know some breeders purposefully breeding over the usual size. It's pretty easy to find paps in the 15ish lb range. And once you stop selecting for toy dog size, they tend to naturally trend upwards.

That said it could very well be a mix. They like to mix them with eskies for some reason and also the sheltie/papillons I know look pretty papillon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts