Dog Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have what most people consider to be a big scary dog (I consider her to be a medium sized, squeaky, mess lol) and I understand, and respect the fact that some people are afraid of her. If I can see someone up head is showing signs of being uncomfortable when we're walking, I usually just move off into the grass and either keep walking or put her in a sit. It's just polite. I also don't mind people being a bit afraid of her. I'm a young, single woman, who likes the added security that a big dog provides simply by their appearance.

As far as the great dane thing goes. I LOVE great danes; I think they're gorgeous. That being said, I live in an apartment complex and one of my neighbors got a great dane. He was a big gorgeous boy, but the first time I met him I was coming out of my apartment and he was in the hall (taking up most of the hall) and I asked her if he was friendly before I passed. I'll admit I wouldn't do that with a smaller dog. If he would have wanted to bite me, he would have been able to get me in the face. A small dog wouldn't be able to do that. He didn't bite me in the face, but I got a very happy kiss on my way by lol.

I think it's legitimate to show some caution around big dogs. I would really prefer people show respect to all dogs. I've never had a little dog, but I imagine that most of them don't like being picked up by total strangers, yet people seem to think they should. People also surprise me sometimes and just walk up and pet my GSD without permission. I'm not a huge fan of that. She won't bite, but if I saw her I don't think I'd just take that chance.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just to clarify, although I don't think SashasmammaGSD's comment was directed at me, I certainly don't randomly walk up and start petting dogs, Ijust meant I'm not effected by the breed or size. I always establish a rapport with the owner first, the few times I've "Dog Whispered" lol at work, I could definitely tell the dog meant no harm, just was poorly socialized.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to clarify, although I don't think SashasmammaGSD's comment was directed at me, I certainly don't randomly walk up and start petting dogs, Ijust meant I'm not effected by the breed or size. I always establish a rapport with the owner first, the few times I've "Dog Whispered" lol at work, I could definitely tell the dog meant no harm, just was poorly socialized.
No it certainly wasn't directed at you. I've just had people randomly walk up to my dog, and assume she's friendly. One time at a petsmart (and this was admittedly my fault for not paying attention) I turned away for 10 seconds to look at a bumper sticker while I was standing in line. I turned back around and this lady was crouched down petting Sasha. I was shocked. That wouldn't have been my first move with any dog, I didn't know a single thing about.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
No worries Sashasmamma, I didn't think you were I just didn't want anyone to misinterpret me as the Next Dog Whisperer, especially on this Forum LOL.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The same happens to me with my Boxer, people cross the road onto another path when they seem him or if I am out with him and the Jack russel everyone runs to pet the JR before they would pet the boxer. Its a shame because the boxer is sitting there waiting for attention and he never gets it and whilst the jr who has a tendency to sometimes snap is hogging it all.

Another thing with mine is the slabbers, the people who do know him avoid contact because of his slabbers(he only gets them when there is food involved lol).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sometimes people are intimidated by their size,I honestly love big dogs. I have many big dogs at home,it's just children and adults are more comfortable with smaller dogs,

·
Registered
385 Posts
I wish I had your problem! :) And I know many GD owners who would agree with me. It's been the exact opposite issue for me and most of the GD people I know. Our poor dogs get bombarded with strangers the instant their feet touch the ground outside, and for many, that is not a good thing. I would much rather see people have a healthy respect for a person and their dogs' space, than have what I deal with everyday. At the end of the day, it's safer for all dogs if people don't take it for granted that just because it's a "gentle giant" at the other end of the leash, it's safe to run up to strange dogs and maul all over them. It's one of the reasons many of us don't like that label being bandied around so much. It's just as dangerous to assume all dogs of a certain breed are going to be big teddy bears begging for loving, as it is to assume all dogs of a breed are aggressive.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Honestly I concern myself more with the human then the dog, you can usually figure it out from there, but whether or not the dog is calm or crazy, I do I guess follow CM's guidelines, eventhough I was doing the same 20 years before he was on tv. I'll talk with the human, let the dog come to me, sniff, engage etc..... Not just bully my way into the dogs space, hand out looking to get bit :) I hate when people do that or teach kids to do it especially.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't really get most peoples reactions to big dogs. I've had people who won't come within a hundred feet of me, because I had Bomber, my bulldog, with me (and he isn't even that big. He's just wide and taller than most bulldogs). He can be flat out on the floor snoozing in the shade and they still keep a overly watchful eye on him.

JennNLuke, I've got to agree with you about it being just as dangerous to expect certain dogs to be docile. I've been bitten because I expected a dog to be nice, but I didn't realize that their eye site was going. It was my own fault, but it strengthens your point.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My rottie x bordeaux, ensures that everyone pats her. She's a sook, and slinks up to people on her belly, all wriggly, people keel over at her antics to get you to pat her.
My GSD: nobody wants to touch him except young children, coz he has long hair and looks like a great big bear. He cant see children, he can only see that i have his ball, so takes it like a man lol

21 - 30 of 30 Posts