Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me identify my new dog's breed (or possible mix)?

I adopted a beautiful rescue dog. She has brindle markings. Her name is Tiger. One friend thinks Tiger is a Boxer mix, a random person thinks Pit Bull mix, and my neighbor (he breeds pure hunting dogs) thinks she is pure, or nearly pure Brindle Hound.

Tiger is about a year old, so some filling out to do still. She is 18 inches at the shoulder... not weighed yet. Tiger loves children. She stared intently at my pet rabbit for 45 minutes, and the only reason she stopped is because I coaxed her away.

This pretty dog followed a scent the other day, straight to some **** droppings. She is super sweet, and a little lazy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I def see Boxer. Maybe a little hound. Maybe a little retriever. Whatever it is she is adorible.

Reactions: purplesully

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some details I forgot to mention... The tip of Tiger's tail is white for about 1 and a quarter inches. Her toes are SUPER webbed, all the way to her nails. Hope this helps. And THANK you!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
HAVE NO FEAR! I KNOW HER BREED! Our family has two catahoula leopard dogs and I dog sat a brindle one, a male, who was massive, about 80 pounds! They are rare but are out there! Here's a pic. Houlas have webbed feet ALL the way to the toes and the white tipped tail....! I KNOW THOSE EARS AND SNOUT ANYWHERE! HURRAY, ANOTHER CATAHOULA ON DF IS FOUND AND IDENTIFIED! Do you live in the southern states??? You have a fantastic breed, just socialize and train, they can resource guard your family and home....to the nth degree! Great babysitters too, lol.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pkelley...
The catahoula DOES look very much like my Tiger. Her eyes are dark brown, and she is only 18 inches tall though. If she is catahoula, she must be mixed with a smaller breed of dog. Yes, I do live in the Southeast. Did I mention that Tiger caries her tail in a curved upward position?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I'd say boxer mix with a few other things thrown in. pkelley thinks everything is a catahoula. :p

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Ohhhh....that's Very tiny, lol. But some are smaller, our Addison is only 19 inches high! and yes, everything is a catahoula, but you have to admit, the OP described the toe webbing first and a white tipped tail...and be still my heart...now that houla curved tail "like a question mark" so catahoula! I love houlas!
The Catahoula Hound varies in size with males ranging between 20 and 26 inches in height and 40 to 95 pounds in weight. Females are slightly smaller. No matter the size, they are sleek and muscular, making them strong herders. The neck is long and the muzzle is long and pointed. A prominent webbing of the feet helps them herd wild hogs in marshy, low-lying areas.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My neighbor suggested something called "brindle hound" with maybe "red nose beagle" what do you all think?

She looks so much like a hound. But then, she could be a watered down boxer.
someone suggested pit, but I don't think she is bulky enough for that.

some extra info for everyone to play with :)
18 inches at the top of shoulders. I think the term is whither?
back legs longer than front
white tipped tail held up and curved toward front when she walks
neck seems short for her body length
feet turn slightly outward, just slightly.
pink around her black nose
black rings around brown eyes
Her eyes are extremely intelligent and intense.

Sorry for any confusion earlier. The picture of the brindle catahoula is gorgeous btw. I can see why you love them pkelly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tiger in action!!

Here are some pictures of Tiger in action. She caught scent of the deer that move through from the field to the neighbor's garden. While I was untangling a thorny vine from my pant-leg, she stood ant stared in a 'ready to pounce' stance.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
WELL AFTER SEEING THESE PICS I AM RIGHT BACK TO SAYING CATAHOULA!!!! The tail, the feet, her stance, her intelligence, her hunting drive...OH YEAH!!!!! Just gorgeous, beautiful, iconic, lol. Read up on them on Wikipedia and Don Abney's websites (forget the dominance stuff tho).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The breed names you mentioned are probably what my neighbor was referring to. He owns and breeds high value pure breed hunting beagles. The youngest is a lemon color. Her mom and aunt are (not sure the proper term) the classic beagle black/brown/white coloration. Thank you for the actual terminology. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you again pkelley. You seem to know your catahoulas! :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere that (quote) "not all hounds have pin-heads."
Not my quote, sorry if it offends. I'm just saying that Tiger COULD be part hound or beagle. Tiger's a petite 18 inches at the withers. Boxers are bigger, Labs are bigger, Plotts are bigger, and catahoulas too. Everything mentioned so far is bigger. Pitts are bigger, Bull Dogs are simply too broad. Any other thoughts? I'm very curious.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
When it comes to mixed breed dogs, they can be any size. Not to mention even purebred dogs have a dog who will always be the 'runt' of the litter. I have seen a small dobermen pincher pup who was half the size of his siblings. They were all the same age. (And dobies are big.)

So, your pup could very well be a runt. But so far, I agree with what everyone has said so far. Perhaps houla, perhaps boxer. All in all, I think she is a mix of them and maybe throw in some Rat Terrier? ^_^

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from the vet for shots and a checkup.
Tiger weighed in at 32.5 pounds.
The vet said Tiger is about one year old

...most likely hound/lab/boxer mix... heavy on the hound. Possibly Plott. People around hear take their hounds seriously, and the vet jokingly suggested that I could sell her for big money. She is not for sale. She could also be a smidgen pit, but not enough to matter, he said.

natenqen, a little terrier wouldn't surprise me, since that group of dogs is so popular.

Looks like I jumped the gun, about her being too short for certain breeds. At about one year old, she has another year of growing.

What do you guys think of the vet's guess?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just got back from the vet for shots and a checkup.
Tiger weighed in at 32.5 pounds.
The vet said Tiger is about one year old

...most likely hound/lab/boxer mix... heavy on the hound. Possibly Plott. People around hear take their hounds seriously, and the vet jokingly suggested that I could sell her for big money. She is not for sale. She could also be a smidgen pit, but not enough to matter, he said.

natenqen, a little terrier wouldn't surprise me, since that group of dogs is so popular.

Looks like I jumped the gun, about her being too short for certain breeds. At about one year old, she has another year of growing.

What do you guys think of the vet's guess?

Still don't see any hound, to be honest. Maybe a little, but not heavy. She looks like a boxer mixed with something to me, but she really has that Heinz 57 look about her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
167 Posts
I actually really agree with @pkelley on her being a catahoula, or at least a catahoula mix.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
She looks a lot like my boxer mix only mine is much larger. she is about 22" tall and 55lbs at 1 1/2 yr. Mine even has the webbed feet and the white tip with a twirl on the tail. The head, face, and ears are different. I'm going with boxer mixed with a smaller breed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
She really reminds me of a litter of puppies that came through a humane society that I worked at in North Georgia. They were nine months old, with half the litter being brindle with white and the others were fawn with white. They were confirmed boxer/feist mixes as their surrenders owned both their parents. Tiger could totally pass as a littermate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts