Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dogs were barking. When I opened my window to tell them to be quiet I heard screaming. My first thought was coyotes. We have a lot of coyotes and foxes in the area. My mom and I brought the dogs in and stood on the porch. I figured that it was a hungry baby animal, but then I remembered that the baby animals are big now, since winter is coming. After it stopped screaming, it started howling. I wanted to know what it was, because to me it sounded like a coyote, but also a potentially harmed dog that may have gotten loose and stepped in a trap or got shot accidentially. I planned on calling the game warden to ask about it. But it stopped after a bit.

This is the first sound we heard. I trimmed the video but it's kinda too short. A friend suggested that it was an animal that had been dragged down. Rabbits scream, but the screaming went on for several minutes. So if it were a hunted animal it would probably have to be something bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZgO75W4iUM

The second sound was the howling. My friend suggested that it was a coyote howling after a successful hunt. I have heard coyotes interact a lot (Much to my dismay). I have just never heard only one single coyote howling for more than a few brief moments. But im pretty sold that this is a coyote! What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruj7VFxo2cY

I know iv'e said this before but........ I really....... really...... really..... do NOT like coyotes............ They make me cry. No joke. :eek:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I haven't been able to find anything confirmed about pumas in Maine. Bobcats, lynx (depending on area) and coyotes. The second one sounded like coyotes. First like a rabbit. But they were both very hard for me to hear. Other animals that scream are fox, screech owls, fishers (also called fisher cats).

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@annageckos
They are here, the pumas. There's not a big enough population to cause a ruckus though. (I'm up North a bit).

There actually used to be a Fisher across the road from us. Do you think coyotes would eat fishers?

It was such a windy day, they are definitely hard to hear. It's too bad they couldn't be heard how I heard them.

Edited: I first posted this via mobile and it didn't come out quoted...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Do you have any links to confirmed reports of pumas in MA? I'd really like to see them.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any links to confirmed reports of pumas in MA? I'd really like to see them.
Massachusetts? I don't have any for there. There is a Facebook page for Vermont sightings though! As far as Maine goes its all in word of mouth. My dad was stalked by one when he was in high school. There was one in my neighbors yard as well as others spotting them. Last I heard there was a small family of them up North. I'll have to look that up. Oh and one of my campers said there's one that hangs around their barn.

It's amazing how incredibly quiet they. Sometimes I wonder if I'm being watched by one when I'm out in the woods. But I doubt it haha.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sorry couldn't edit. I have issues with state abbreviation. Maine. Without photos or other evidence I'm leery of word of mouth reports. I've seen photos people how claimed were black pumas and they were clearly black house cats.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Be careful walking, I was out with Harley once and one maybe came within 50 feet of us, those eyes and that stare.....I never will forget it.
This past summer I had the worst experience. Coyotes are one of my biggest fears. It's kind of irrational, since I don't see them much and they can be pretty reclusive. However, I was in the same tent unit at camp as I was last summer. It's the second deepest into the woods, and the furthest site out didn't have any campers. So it was just us out there.

I went to bed early because I was fighting falling asleep at the dinner table all summer. I woke up at 9pm to the sound of one coyote. Probably a contact call, because moments later they all started going. I was in instant tears because I hate that sound and I knew they were close.

One of my tentmates tried to reassure me that they just sounded close but were far away. I asked them to tie the tent flaps tight (we were in large canvas tents). I went back to sleep.

Then it happened at least five more times during the night. Each time I woke up because it jumped me right out of my sleep. When we went to breakfast I could still hear them, though they were further out at that point. I then heard them again at 10am! They stayed forever.

I know they were likely not going to bother us but I do not like them. It's funny because one of my international co-councillors tried to reassure me that they don't bother people unless they are a lone coyote.

LOL.

Haha. I mean, I know I shouldn't fear them. But I just do. I make sure to NEVER walk alone, because I live in Maine. There's so much up here to run into. Plus my dad said no one will bother me if I have one of the dogs with me, lol.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
re #1, not sure; deffo coyote in clip #2

Interesting sounds - i had trouble hearing the 1st clearly, but the 2nd audio clip was definitely coyote, that rusty yap preceding the howl is a great I-D marker. ;)

the 1st critter definitely wasn't a coyote - it did resemble a cat, but i'm not sure.
I've heard bobcats screech & call in Spring, & this didn't resemble their sounds.

Personally, i am very happy we now have Eastern Coyotes - we're up to our necks in feral cats clear across the U-S, & coyotes, some Great Horned Owls, & occasionally a Red-Tailed Hawk, are the only predators that take cats.
Feral cats & free-roaming owned or dumped housecats are wreaking havoc on small animals as well as large - they will dig up & puncture gator, croc, & turtle eggs, along with catching everything from large insects to adult rabbits, herps, amphibians, birds at any age or stage, invertebrates or vertebrates - if it moves right, or sounds right, or smells right, cats will prey on it.

Something between 90 & 100 million feral & free-roaming cats are hunting wildlife across the USA :eek: ; my heartfelt gratitude goes to coyotes, for at least making a tiny dent in their overwhelming numbers. :(

- terry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts