Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening!

First of all, I've had a four-pawed companion every single day of my life since I was born, and I've recently adopted my first two actual puppies. My mother was the previous person paying for the food and such for my other dogs, but now I've taken up the entire responsibility and I want to do it right.

These two additions to my family go by the names Onyx and Roxy. Both are Rottweiler/Labrador Retriever mixes. They are 8 weeks old and about 11 pounds each, give or take.

I'm relatively experienced in dog owning, or at least I thought so, until I started to research the way a dog should be cared for. I've come to realize that I was doing my previous animals a disservice by feeding them such low quality food and not regulating their intake to an appropriate amount. In fact, it has made me feel quite bad when I reflect on some of the health problems that the food may have been the cause of and how their endurance suffered during play time.

So today, I've come to the Dog Forum in order to get some guidance on the subject. I'm very confident that I can afford these pups, considering that I've been given estimates anywhere from 1500—2000 per year at a minimum just to cover the food intake of the dogs.

I'm primarily seeking suggestions as to what brand of puppy chow or dog food to feed the two dogs, as well as how much to feed them per day, and how many times a day I should feed them. I have recently started using Purina puppy chow for these two pups, but I was told that it was not good, even though its leaps and bounds better than what I've fed my previous dogs.

I'm not looking at getting the expensive and awesome stuff, just something that's good or on the better end of the decent spectrum. I would like to keep it healthy, but not too pricey! Perhaps around $1.60 per pound of food as my budget.

As far as purchasing the food, I'm fine with getting it from the store or online. I see that chewy.com has been given some praise here.

ALSO let me know if you know of any good treats to use that won't be destructive to the dog's diet.

I am also looking into vitamins/supplements for the pups. If you have any information or suggestions on those it will be greatly appreciated, as I have never given any to my animals.

If you have any extra advice to give, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
congrats on your two beautiful pups...
well there are many many choices for dog food and i am sure you will get lots of suggestions here.
i can tell what i feed mine and how much it costs..

my airedale is a large breed @ 80 pounds and i buy him Fromm which does come in large breed formula...
it is a good quality food and from an economical standpoint is affordable..
a 17 pound bag is $21.00 appx. which for him last about 1 month...

you would most likely want the next size up for 2 pups...

like i said you will get lots of good suggestion for dog food on here ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, I've heard some good things about Fromm so far. That was what I was basing my budget on.

cool, i think you would be happy with it..
my airedale has a very sensitive digestive system due to illness as a pup and he does awesome on the Fromm

·
Banned
165 Posts
hi, have you though about considering a raw diet? many pople wont consider it becasue of the price difference, but there are lots of ways to get tons of free meat. for example, i have 2 people this wek that are giving me the scraps left over from a buck and a moose. all i did was post an add on the internet asking if anybody had scraps. most of the hunters either leave the scraps in the woods, or pay to have a proccessing or rendering plant pick it up. the guys i am getting mine from were going to just bag up their scraps and leave it with the trash on garbage pick up day. point being, these two carcasses will feed my one dog for the next 3 months, plus i will have enough to share with neighbors. another sourse would be to call local butchers, and find out when they throwq out their trimmings, and either offer to buy it for a small price, or just dumpster dive and get it all for fee. also meat processing plants will do the same. after all of the research i have done about dog food, premium or not, it seems to me that raw is the best possible way to feed MY dog.
my first dog was fed kibble, and i now too feel bad about not providing a good enough diet.

i have had my dog for 8 months, ( since he was 2 months old) and i have not once had to pay for his raw food becasue i took advantage of the different sources mentioned above. with a bit of leg work, your pups could have a high protein diet, wich is what nature intended for them anyways. its a win win :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts