Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we should have this as a way for people to write everything and anything that your pup makes you proud for. I will start it off.

When we went walking over the weekend, we passed a house that had three dogs. A tied up brown lab who is chain aggressive/barrier aggression when dogs come near his home, a young adult hound pup(not sure of the breed.) lives in side the house and let out without minimum supervision but is fear reactive and would rather run away barking, then charge. And a small mixed dog that also lives inside the house, but very aggressive. (i'm guessing it was attacked one too many times and has reverted to just attack before the other dog gets to them.)

Kuma's sudden I need to attack the other dog when it gets in range of me is now, illiminated 100 percent. I had to test it as I knew these owners had their little dog out and based on it's sudden fear aggression to attack before the other dog does, worked.

On cue, with minimum attention from the owner, the little brat dog came charging right for Kuma. (I adviced my honey to hold back Murgo because we know he would 'try' to protect Kuma.)

The little dog attacked and Kuma backed off. (the dog was a surprise when the little dog came up and tried to attack Kuma and Kuma backed away and did not engage the dog. (I think he might have been trying to defuse this dog) Because he kept backing away, but kept both of them nose to nose. The other dog had seemed relized that Kuma wasn't fighting back and the dog instantly calmed down and trotted back to his house. I praised Kuma and we went walking off. (It was a matter of seconds.)

I'm pretty sure if that dog had grabbed Kuma, kuma would defend himself, but to defuse the situation rather then try to fight back. (This small dog was a few inches shorter then Kuma.)

Over all, it was very awesome and thanks to you guys, I have a dog who will ignore or won't attack other dogs without warning. Now I just need to work on the adolescent pups and young adult dogs. But YAY! KUMA! take that shock collar!

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I first got my dog it was winter time and we wiped her feet every time she came in the house. Come Summertime, I relaxed on it mostly but today when she came in from the rain, she stopped and lifted her paw for it to be wiped off.
We do so much work, she is starting to take initiative with our training by reminding me of things like that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am proud of Shadow today because he woke me up during the night to go do some upsetting seconds! We stayed up for a bit to go out again and in my sleepy haze, I forgot to scoop the poo from earlier up.

He didn't step in it!

I am not making fun of your thread! I am genuinely proud of him for purposefully maneuvering around it because Shadow always manages to step in poo! :eyeroll:
Mostly his own but he isn't picky about who left it! :eek:

He then limps and moans and is not so gracefully waiting for me to wipe it off so... Yeah! :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So I'm proud of my pooch more over a term of time then just today, but Tessa hasn't had a reactive moment to other dogs in 3 weeks!

She's also doing amazingly well to refrain from barking out the window.

Reactions: natenqen

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I came home yesterday and Sophie and Chisum were both upstairs and didn't know I arrived. When they both came downstairs and saw me, Sophie started barking right away (she's very vocal) but not a peep from reactive-Chisum. Of course, he knew exactly who I was and came flying into my arms, but it was still a surprise :)

He's also getting better at not lunging at the door when certain people leave. He's a work in progress, but he's making progress, so that's a start ;)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We saw a deer on our walk tonight and when Stella started to pull toward it looking to chase I told her to stop and she stopped and sat, and didn't get up until I said so. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was actually very proud of my girl last night when we went for a walk. On the way home I didnt need to use the leash at all! I put it on whenever we passed a person, but she didnt even pull to try to get to them, just stayed in a nice heel position! (Im sure the situation would have been different if they were walking dogs, but this didnt happen). Also when I got home my neighbour was out, and Zeph sat nicely waiting while we had a chat :) And the same day I managed to let a visitor in the house, and although she did jump at him once, she didnt jump ON him (i.e jumped up but didnt touch him). And she chilled out almost immediately. So it was a pretty good day yesterday!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Was out walking some dogs (both adults with no puppy socialization or basic obedience) in the park and stopped to chat to a worried new puppy mother with her 10-week-old lab.

They were getting a bit close to the gateway leading to the road so I had to give them a "Ladiesss..." and they came hustling over.

"Gee, I hope he'll be like that, someday!" She said.

I'm proud for all three of us that they totally pass for "normal dogs", considering what little nutcases they were when they started out. Walking them used to be like herding squirrels!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been very sick and am getting my gall bladder out in a few days, and my dogs have been very gentle and well behaved. Chess even whines and cries and tries to help when the pain gets really bad.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I love this thread! Its great to see people looking for positives in their dogs!

In the space of the 5 days that I have had Aayla she sits on command, is easy to lure into a down, and is starting to understand the lure for roll over. She already is crying less and less when in her crate or playpen.

Kota has become extremely tolerant of Aayla, faster than I thought. He is tolerating minimal interactions and is disengaging (without interference) when she bothers him 90% of the time. She got rude with one of their interactions and bit at his face and he corrected her appropriately.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not today, but recently he helped me leash break our first goat doe by putting on pressure from behind while I lead her. For being as excited as he was* he listened pretty well. Her LLW is probably better than his at this point.

On that note, I love that the fact that he's doing well learning a trial-type herding style (trainer's words, not mine)... because it proves the naysayers wrong on both sides.

His recall is also improving leaps and bounds (recently recalled off of a horse and off of chickens), and he's picking up on our shed hunt training.

He recently learned the wall rebound trick I've wanted to teach for so long, too.

* And he was excited... which is probably why my herding trainer recommends against working novice dogs on singles, but a few days wrestling with the goat when I had to move her into the barn for the night and I was just tired and ready for some help.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome guys, I'm loving what we have so far. Keep up the great work everyone. It's nice to hear about our babies doing well instead of hearing the 'bad' all the time.

I can now drive with Kuma sitting inbetween the front of the chairs in our van. (If you remember, he's been curled up, on the floor, behind the driver side chair.) I can drive about 25 mph until we hit a mound and he will go back to his usual spot. He has done this a lot lately so it was really nice to know that our counter conditioning on car rides is working. (It's not as far as I'd like him to be, but at least it's working.) So yay to him.

On a side note, I've decided not to train Kuma in agility for the sake of his luxating patella in his rear end. I know the vet said, she saw no problem with at least trying, but it seems to have gotten worse over time. (His lifting his leg more often, but he's still not in pain) I don't think he even realizes he is doing it yet. But he's doing it more often then when we first got him. But at least I can do other tricks that don't require too much strain on his rear end. (I also decided that no more sit pretty commands because he used to be able to hold it for almost 1 minute, but he can't even hold it for about 10 seconds.) And we built muscle memory on it.

But I plan to do other awesome tricks. (I think I will start working on freestyle foot work. While I'm at it I can maybe learn choreography.)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Betsy isn't the best trained dog ever, but the other day we were walking back through the park, at the point where I usually put her harness back on, she stopped & looked back at me as if to say, 'come on Mum, I'm ready!!' Sounds small, but is huge to me!! :D Also, tonight there are fireworks going off (why I do not know!) she is asleep, completely relaxed, a totally different dog to the one I adopted in 2012, at approx age 4, when she was terrified of fireworks, thunder & any loud noises. I'm very proud of my Betsy!!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I got home yesterday to find the resident raccoon by the barn. I went inside to grab Chisum, thinking his menacing reactive-bark would surely scare the coon off.

So I've got Chisum, leashed so he doesn't go after the creature and get hurt, and we stop about 30 ft from it. Chisum sees it. He registers this thing "doesn't belong". He gets really stiff. He watches and sniffs the air. Then his tail starts wagging like crazy and he tries to drag me over to play with this new "friend".

I mean, I'm proud that he didn't react, I guess. He isnt exposed to strange animals much because they tend to have people attached to them and he doesn't do people. I just assumed he'd be just as reactive to this funny looking/smelling thing.

I'm hoping it bodes well in that he'll not have the same problems with strange dogs as he does with strange people.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Graduated "Good Manners" basic obedience training class last night. :) She had to perform three tricks of our choice that we learned on our own this past week. We did "shake," "twirl" (when she jumps and spins at the same time), and attempted "drop it." She had been doing so well with that at home but I forgot to bring a toy for her to demonstrate it with. So they gave us a toy to use but it was a stuffed hedgehog that made giggling noises and as soon as she saw it she fixated on it and wanted to destroy the sound box (she is obsessed with noises) so she wouldn't drop it. They were very understanding (and amused) lol. All of the trainers (there are three) told us we should do agility afterwards and the main trainer recommended that I should read "Control Unleashed" and that they were trying to get Leslie McDevitt to do a seminar sometime next year! I'm so proud of both her and myself (and my bf for being such a good sport and helping with training and going to class with us even though I know it's not a big interest of his).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Graduated "Good Manners" basic obedience training class last night. :) She had to perform three tricks of our choice that we learned on our own this past week. We did "shake," "twirl" (when she jumps and spins at the same time), and attempted "drop it." She had been doing so well with that at home but I forgot to bring a toy for her to demonstrate it with. So they gave us a toy to use but it was a stuffed hedgehog that made giggling noises and as soon as she saw it she fixated on it and wanted to destroy the sound box (she is obsessed with noises) so she wouldn't drop it. They were very understanding (and amused) lol. All of the trainers (there are three) told us we should do agility afterwards and the main trainer recommended that I should read "Control Unleashed" and that they were trying to get Leslie McDevitt to do a seminar sometime next year! I'm so proud of both her and myself (and my bf for being such a good sport and helping with training and going to class with us even though I know it's not a big interest of his).
Yay! congrats, what wonderful news.

Reactions: Laus2002

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I accidentally let the leash slip through my fingers yesterday morning.
Sancho picked up the end of the leash and shoved it back into my hand.
It's nice to see that he likes walking on the leash. :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Today my brother dropped a french fry on the floor and Heidi's default "leave-it" is clearly working since she looked at it, stopped, and sat down. Wahooooo.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started to train Kuma the cross paw trick tonight and I've been using Kikopup's method. Kuma got the hang of it, but he was scratching and it took a while to get him to just put his paw on it. (We had breaks inbetween, but he got it.) We was getting it, I then switched to moving to his sides and as if on cue, he crossed over his paw. Which I clicked and treat. I did this and he repeated it several times. (I am wanting that, but I know he doesn't quiet understand yet what the goal is.) All he knows is that when he puts his paw (doesn't matter which paw, he hears the click and treat. So, once he is consistantly doing it, then I will move on. yay Kuma.

His only trouble is, he figures out what I want, but he ends up being sloppy and want to do it as fast as he can. (Little booger)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts