Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first dog, so I'm genuinely not sure. I feel like this is a dumb question.

But right now when I can't watch him or play with him I put him in his crate (he's six months). He hasn't had an accident in awhile, and I'd like to transition him off the crate when I leave - maybe first into just my bedroom, then the bedroom and the foyer, and then the rest of my place.

But I don't know what he's supposed to be actually doing when he isn't sleeping, eating, or playing with me. Sometimes I give him a chew toy and he hangs out on the couch next to me while I'm on my laptop. That can occupy him for forty minutes or so.

But what else? How do dogs occupy their own time on their own, given that I walk him regularly and take him to to dog park and give him regular exercise? I feel like I may be unwittingly raising a very socially dependent dog.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Sleep, chew on toys, patrol the house, gaze into the distance. (ETA: gazing is ... maybe thinking? Maybe just zoning out? Day dreaming? I'm not sure, but every dog I've ever known does it and will do it for longish periods of time.)

You are right in your instincts that dogs need to learn to occupy themselves. It's not fair to ask a dog to keep to themselves 23 hours a day, but it's also not fair to make a dog totally dependent on you every moment of the day. Teaching a dog to settle down and occupy themselves is a gift to that dog that will serve them well their entire lives.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Most dogs sleep when left alone. They may chew or walk around and keep watch, but generally they laze around. Dogs need stimulation and exercise, but not all the time. If given enough, most dogs are satisfied to sleep when their humans are gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
So right now I'm not working and I'm home pretty much all day with my dogs. When we are not playing and training they are usually sleeping. They sleep at least 16 hours a day, if not more.

Phoenix is really good at being able to entertain herself. When she's not sleeping and we are not interacting she will either play by herself with her toys or chew on her chewies.

Zoe just naps for the most part.

The girls around 5 years old.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My 5 year old sleeps most of the day too. He really doesn't play by himself much, he is an easy going laid back kinda dog.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. My dog has never gone to sleep on his own. Not once. He only sleeps when I crate him and leave the room. He wakes up the second I walk into the room.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hmm. My dog has never gone to sleep on his own. Not once. He only sleeps when I crate him and leave the room. He wakes up the second I walk into the room.
That's because he's still a puppy. A teenager really, and they notoriously have a hard time settling. My 5 month old will sleep once in a while if we've done a lot with her that day, but usually if she's not crated she's on the go, looking for stuff to do. My 3 year old is perfectly happy to laze around and sleep, but he didn't come out of the box that way.

Using the crate is good to enforce some time to settle in the house. You may also need to teach a settle outside the crate by putting him on leash and just ignoring him until he lies down and relaxes (then you can quietly praise). But mostly just keep doing what you're doing with crating and giving him things to chew on (puzzle toys are good too) and he will relax as he gets older.

Reactions: augusta

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Aspen is very happy to play with her toys when I'm not actively engaging her. I buy new toys quite frequently (too often if you ask my bf haha) so she doesn't ever get bored with them. I stuff Kongs, give her chews, etc. She spends a good deal of her time following me from room to room too. She'll follow me around and lay on the rug in whatever room I'm in. :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Move around from one sleeping spot to another mostly; the couch, the floor, under the table, outside etc.. On rare occasions he might play by himself outside but never for very long.

When he was a puppy he had a hard time settling too. If I moved it was time to play again. I think it took him around 1.5 years to completely settle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts