Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my dog on the side of the road so I have no idea what if anything he had done before. When I got him fixed they gave him his rabies and distemper (sp?), what else if anything does he need to get every year?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I found my dog on the side of the road so I have no idea what if anything he had done before. When I got him fixed they gave him his rabies and distemper (sp?), what else if anything does he need to get every year?
That depends on you, your vet, and where you live. I live in AZ and it is recommended to get a rabies every 3 yrs (we have to license through the state), and the distemper/parvo/etc vaccine every year. I do this because my dogs walk outside and even go to parks and parvo is huge here. Some states require yearly rabies so you would have to check and if distemper or parvo are not common in your area you may not need to continue vaccines if you chose not to. A lot of people believe vaccines only harm animals. Definitely something to research :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
haven't needed to yet...haven't had this group long. Though Tippy should probably have one soon.

I know people who have dogs who have had vaccinosis and died...or became neuro and had to be euthanized.
I guess I don't understand how vaccines work. I have seen adult dogs get parvo and have seen stories about adult dogs contracting distemper. Is this not true? I only ask because parvo is huge here where I live and do not want my dogs getting it. My sisters dog had all of his puppy shots and then got parvo about two years later.... are we putting our dogs at risk by vaccinating them yearly for distemper/parvo? Or do you live in an area where these diseases are not present?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I guess I don't understand how vaccines work. I have seen adult dogs get parvo and have seen stories about adult dogs contracting distemper. Is this not true? I only ask because parvo is huge here where I live and do not want my dogs getting it. My sisters dog had all of his puppy shots and then got parvo about two years later.... are we putting our dogs at risk by vaccinating them yearly for distemper/parvo? Or do you live in an area where these diseases are not present?

From what I understand there is a new resistant strain of parvo that has no vaccine yet...its possible this is what happend to your sisters dog.

Heres my take (and the take of many others) you can't become more immune to a disease by vaccinating again and again.

Your body learns to fight the vaccine ( the weakend form of the virus) and that immunity last a long long time. Much longer than a year.

Vets want you to vaccinate yearly because of many reasons...habit, what they were taught, thinking its best for your dog...and most importantly....money.

If you Titer your dog you'll likely find that the immunity is still there up to 5-7 years later...the body still has those antibodies...vets KNOW this...but they still insist on boosters.

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard from several sources that the 1year and 3 year rabies vaccines are identical...and it makes sence...how do you engineer a vaccine to last longer??? You can't make it "stronger" to work longer.

Som' dogs immune systems are sensitive and yearly vaccinations can cause a whole range of problems...on the severe end its neurological stuff...but it can range from aggression to allergies...it just generally confuses and stresses the immune system.

Distemper is here (there was a big outbreak in CA in the past couple years) and parvo is seen in average amounts...

that said Iam sure that I have the only dogs on the block that have had ANY vaccines and my neighbors have outdoor dogs that are up to 5 years old. Says alot about dogs natural immunity that can develop!

if your worried, just Titer your dogs every 3 years...it will tell you without a doubt that the immunity is there...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
From what I understand there is a new resistant strain of parvo that has no vaccine yet...its possible this is what happend to your sisters dog.

Heres my take (and the take of many others) you can't become more immune to a disease by vaccinating again and again.

Your body learns to fight the vaccine ( the weakend form of the virus) and that immunity last a long long time. Much longer than a year.

Vets want you to vaccinate yearly because of many reasons...habit, what they were taught, thinking its best for your dog...and most importantly....money.

If you Titer your dog you'll likely find that the immunity is still there up to 5-7 years later...the body still has those antibodies...vets KNOW this...but they still insist on boosters.

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard from several sources that the 1year and 3 year rabies vaccines are identical...and it makes sence...how do you engineer a vaccine to last longer??? You can't make it "stronger" to work longer.

Som' dogs immune systems are sensitive and yearly vaccinations can cause a whole range of problems...on the severe end its neurological stuff...but it can range from aggression to allergies...it just generally confuses and stresses the immune system.

Distemper is here (there was a big outbreak in CA in the past couple years) and parvo is seen in average amounts...

that said Iam sure that I have the only dogs on the block that have had ANY vaccines and my neighbors have outdoor dogs that are up to 5 years old. Says alot about dogs natural immunity that can develop!

if your worried, just Titer your dogs every 3 years...it will tell you without a doubt that the immunity is there...
TY. We have discussed doing the vaccines ourselves since we will no longer board our dogs. For rabies, I have worked in a vets office (more than one) and yes it is the same vaccine...they say the first one is like a booster so is only good for a year then after that every 3 yrs. I think we will do a titer..do you know how much this generally costs compared to vaccines? Our dogs have had their first set of boosters for distemper/parvo and Harvick and Tinkerbell have had their 1 yr followup set. So when do we get titers done? Sorry to intrude on the OP but I think this will help you as well

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Its personal choice...if you want to absolutely anal about it you could do them yearly....

Most people titer anywhere from 2-5 years from the vaccine

its a blood test, so it depends on your vet...usually in the $100- $150 range.

They usually titer for parvo/distemp and if those look good they assume the immune system is doing awesome and you don't need to check for other stuff...corona and whatnot.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Its personal choice...if you want to absolutely anal about it you could do them yearly....

Most people titer anywhere from 2-5 years from the vaccine

its a blood test, so it depends on your vet...usually in the $100- $150 range.

They usually titer for parvo/distemp and if those look good they assume the immune system is doing awesome and you don't need to check for other stuff...corona and whatnot.
If our dogs do not need yearly vaccines to protect them I want the best for them. Not a bad price will do it :) TY for the detailed info!! You would think I would know this working at a vet office... but guess what THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If our dogs do not need yearly vaccines to protect them I want the best for them. Not a bad price will do it :) TY for the detailed info!! You would think I would know this working at a vet office... but guess what THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT lol

I had never heard of it either until I started talking to breeders and whatnot.

When I adopted Chili I was terrified he would have a reaction to the vaccines...he was very very sick at the time and I had no choice in the matter.

He just had his rabies last week and I about held my breath for like three days. He has immune system defect (as does Kiwi)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I had never heard of it either until I started talking to breeders and whatnot.

When I adopted Chili I was terrified he would have a reaction to the vaccines...he was very very sick at the time and I had no choice in the matter.

He just had his rabies last week and I about held my breath for like three days. He has immune system defect (as does Kiwi)
ah! scary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts