Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EEEWWWWW!!!! WHAT IS IT WITH DOGS IN RUBBING ANYTHING THAT STINKS LIKE SOMETHING DIED?!

On our afternoon walk just for Kuma to go do his buisness, I had him off leash as he was doing pretty well staying by my side during the walk. (plus there was a fence and it had some openings, but he stays fairly close.)

Anyways, he went further ahead of me and I was listening to my music and noticed that Kuma disappeared. I walked faster and saw something rolling on the ground. When, I called Kuma, he got up and ran right to me after he shook. The moment he came near me, I smelted the most aweful smell in the world. (We don't have skunks here, but wow, i swear it can't be as bad as this smell.) It smelt like he was rubbing on something that died and was decomposing. It wasn't the smell of 'poo'.

My guess is probably a rotting fish or maybe even the guts that rotted. THe smell was just aweful. We ran home as fast as we can and right away I tossed him in the bathtub and we washed, rinsed and repeat. When his shampoo wasn't working, I decided to try Dawn since people use it for wildlife and I'm sure it won't harm Kuma.

Well, we got most of the smell out, but it's still there. This is a small rant about why dogs rub in stinky stuff and bring it home, but to also ask for advice in what can I do to illimate the smell completely?

I've used skin so soft to rub on his neck, head, ears, and shoulders(Where most of the smell was, but it's still there.

Anyone have any idea on how to illiminate the smell completely?

Thanks. Oh and please share your stories so I don't feel like an idiot.

Reactions: secrets0stolen

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'd try the mix they use for skunked dogs.

Mix together

1 qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp liquid dishwashing soap

rub the mixture into his fur and let set for a few minutes but no more then that since the peroxide could bleach his fur. Rinse thoroughly

Wash him with his normal shampoo and rinse thoroughly.

Just a couple of days ago Zody tried his best to roll on a squashed, dead, toad. If he hadn't been on leash he would have succeeded. One day he successfully rolled on a dead worm. When we lived in the country he liked nothing more then to roll on rabbit droppings if he didn't decide to eat them. A couple of days after I first adopted him he found a long dead, bleached out, bone and had a grand time rolling on it. Here's the pic of him doing so, you can just see the bone down by his hind leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Betsy loves to roll in everything - the stinkier the better as far as she's concerned!! Fox poop last week, but the worse thing recently was a dead cat! Turned out someone had buried their beloved dead cat in the woods, not buried it deep enough & so poor little guy was dug up by another animal, it was not pleasant! :confused:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Rolling in dead things is pretty popular with my dogs. Most of the time they don't smell so bad, or the smell goes away fairly quickly, but every now and then they end up smelling really bad. And you're right - I think it smells worse than skunk, but sometimes it's a close call.

The worst smell-related incident I've had actually was a skunk. I think most of the time when I assume my dogs have been sprayed by one, it's either at a distance or they're just rolling somewhere that a skunk has sprayed, instead of direct contact. This time, though, we were hiking and walked past some brush with a skunk inside. If we'd just walked by, he would have left us alone, but my Lab mix decided to lunge in the brush after him. Of course, he sprayed her. She got it in her mouth, poor girl, and allllll down her front - she turned bright yellow and the smell lasted for weeks, even with repeated baths.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My dogs love to roll in anything dead. One day on a trail ride at my barn, several of the dogs rolled in an entire dead cow! Thankfully i got mine called away before they did. But they've rolled in many dead things.

Echo loves to roll in fresh horse poop, and it is beyond disgusting. Living on a horse farm, she manages to do it here and there when i can't hover.

Chess' special is digging up these little grub things, and even though they're small, they smell like death. It leaves her with brown smears and ew it's so gross.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I guess I should be lucky if I only deal with it two times a year. (The first was when we brought him home and we were walking out in the back roads and he and Murgo rolled in something dead. It wasn't as bad as this one, and the smell went away after a bath. Then, the next time, I saw him roll over again a few months ago in another part of the back roads, and again it wasnt that bad.

But this time, I thought I was going to puke. Hubby couldn't breath. Actually this would be the fourth time. The last one, was the end part of winter and I don't know if he rolled in it or not, but he had fuel fums that reaked all over the house and I looked him over before giving him a bath to make sure he wasn't any oil on him and I didn't see any, but I used Dawn because I know it will help with the fuel if he had any on his fur and then his shampoo.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There's a product called Skunk Off... it works REALLY great! And not only on skunk odor but other odors also. It just doesn't cover up the odors but binds to the odor and neutralizes the smell. There is still a smell left, but it's not skunk or other unpleasant smell, it's a smell that is quite easy to be around...then that smell then fades away after a day or two.

I'm sure there are other dog safe odor neutralizers out there too. What I liked about Skunk Off was it was safe around the eyes. In fact, if a dog got 'skunk' in it's eyes, you could flush around the eyes with the stuff and be ok. My vet, a man at the time, who was also a rancher...

He was digging out the irrigation ditch in front of his house one day and straightened up with a shovel full of mud and came face to face with a skunk, that turned and sprayed him before he could react. Blinded and feeling like his breathing was starting to get cut off, he said he hollered for his wife who was doing up some flower baskets and got her to get some of the Skunk Off from the house and to him. He applied the stuff to his face and swollen eyes and was able to see again within 10 minutes and said his ability to breath improved almost immediately too.

I always keep a bottle of it around the house....it's very handy to have.
I just check Amazon, and others give it high ratings too, about 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Omg why do we keep them????

Ella hasnt been TOO bad. Most disgusting was eating human poo tho. I dont know why but I`d pick dead stinky fish every day over that.

I literally brushed her teeth after that

:puke:

My family`s dog Saara (rip) was a huge carcass lover. She also lived in the country and had many, many opportunities for stink-baths.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.