Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting another dog any time soon since we already have three, but none of them are really "my" dogs. We have a Shar Pei, a Collie, and a Papillon mix. I LOVE our Collie, but the shedding is unbelievable. lol

I want a dog that doesn't have to be on a leash all the time and is fairly independent. I don't like the kinds that are hyper and in-your-face all the time. I have horses, so I want one that I can take to the barn with me and not have to worry about him running away. I'm also partial to big dogs, preferably 100 pounds or bigger. I'd love to have a German Shepherd or Belgian Sheepdog, but I'm afraid they wouldn't do well with all the people and other dogs at the barn. If I socialized a GS a lot as a puppy, would he be okay in that kind of social situation?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Gorgeous horse pic! I love big manes!! (If that's your horse-I'll seriously turn green!!)

I see a lot of rotties and shepherds at barns-they are big enough that they won't get underfoot and they are smart dogs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wouldnt let your future dog off a leash, unless you were 100% confident.
I think a mastiff or great dane would be good. Great danes are very independant, or so the ones I had acted like it. lol.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
sounds to me like you want som' sort of herding breed...a dog that is going to want to be with you, no matter what...

alot of the guardian breeds are like this as well, though being off leash is a bigger liablity....

I like Cassidy's mastiff suggestion.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
German Shephards go very well with other people around you. They understand pretty quickly who's your friend and who's not. If trained well, they would only attack on your command.

Mine had a knack of running away though. I had to keep her on her leach otherwise she would just wander away like there was nothing in the world to worry about. But she came back too on call or by herself if she got too far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt let your future dog off a leash, unless you were 100% confident.
I think a mastiff or great dane would be good. Great danes are very independant, or so the ones I had acted like it. lol.
He would always be on a leash for walks and stuff, I just mean at the barn. My Collie stays right by me when we're out there and I don't have to worry about a thing with him. A great Dane would be great. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gorgeous horse pic! I love big manes!! (If that's your horse-I'll seriously turn green!!)

I see a lot of rotties and shepherds at barns-they are big enough that they won't get underfoot and they are smart dogs.
lol Thanks. Unfortunately, that's not my horse. I do have a draft with a big blond mane, though. ;)

I had no idea Rotties are good with lots of people. They seemed more like one-person dogs. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Mastiffs are very gentle dogs but they are powerful dogs and require training. I have only met one Mastiff who was annoying on leash and that was because he was intact and in a kennel ;) and wanted all the ladies. Otherwise they are very loyal, do not require tons of exercise believe it or not because of their size and joint issues. There is a wildlife park where I live who has mastiffs who wonder the park and greet people and even helped raise the wildlife. Great dogs all around IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts