Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my family finally decided to get a dog.
For the spring and summer seasons we live on our countryside house, with a pretty big front yard. In fall and winter we go to our apartment in the city (it is a pretty roomy apartment). We are looking for a dog that doesn't smell that much, likes playing.
For now I have picked out a dachshund and a jack russell terrier.
I also liked a bunch of more dogs, but in my country they are pretty hard to find/are expensive (300$+ for a basset).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Both those dogs although small, are very energetic and inclined to be barkers. Might be fine for the country part of the year but other apartment dwellers would need to say what that’s like in an apartment. Some bigger dogs are funnily enough less energetic. If I was in an apartment I’d choose a dog who is no longer a puppy and who has slowed down a bit in energy needs, eg over four or so years.

If you can manage two walks a day every day then it would still work for the dogs you’ve identified but perhaps consider medium to low energy in your searches, and definitely consider a rescue or rehomed dog whose energy and barking patterns are known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both those dogs although small, are very energetic and inclined to be barkers. Might be fine for the country part of the year but other apartment dwellers would need to say what that’s like in an apartment. Some bigger dogs are funnily enough less energetic. If I was in an apartment I’d choose a dog who is no longer a puppy and who has slowed down a bit in energy needs, eg over four or so years.

If you can manage two walks a day every day then it would still work for the dogs you’ve identified but perhaps consider medium to low energy in your searches, and definitely consider a rescue or rehomed dog whose energy and barking patterns are known.

I can walk the dog out as much times as it needs to be happy and healthy.
Both of my friends have got jack russell terriers and we go out to walk them out every day for around two hours and they always seem that they have maximum energy.
I also found another dog at a local market, but I didn't really hear the breed's name. It kind of looks like a bulldog, because of the ears, but the man selling them described a pretty diffrent thing. (he said it gets around 30 cm tall and in good shape)
They were smooth-short haired and sandy gray without any other colours.
Anyone got an idea what breed they are so i can reserch?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Staffordshire terrier? They can be grey or brindle. If so they can be lovely but take great care that the breeder understands temperament well. What did you mean by market? Be careful to avoid backyard breeders or puppy farmers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Staffordshire terrier? They can be grey or brindle. If so they can be lovely but take great care that the breeder understands temperament well. What did you mean by market? Be careful to avoid backyard breeders or puppy farmers.

No, it's safe.
In my region, in one city there is a "tradition" - every sunday there is a market where they sell all kinds of things - from electronics to animals.
The livestock compartment has also all kinds of animals - dogs, cats, pigeons and even goats. The person i spoke to said that it is a clear bred.
Next sunday I'll go to that same market to check on that guy.
And yes, it does really look like the terrier you mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure, the seller told me so, but almost all sites say that they get to 50 and over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sooo the seller wasn't there, but I'm going to see a blue nose pitbull this week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I loooooove pitties, but they are only for homeowners and houseless folks where I live. Please check with your apartment manager to make sure that there isn't a "breed ban". I don't like it, but it is a fact.

Also check with doggie daycares, even if you don't plan to use them. The only one in my area that accepts pitties is way too far to drive in an emergency. Staffies are also victims of this "breed ban" and in some places in the US it even extends to Boxers.

One of my dogs, Chocolate, was originally adopted out to an apartment dweller but had to be returned and re-re-homed because she has separation anxiety and is simply too noisy for an apartment. This was extremely traumatic for her and one of the reasons why I am concerned that a Jack Russell might not work out.

Chocolate hasn't been DNA tested, so I will just say that I was told she was part JRT and that it makes sense. They're great dogs if they have the right owner and the right circumstances, but definitely a unique breed and a bigger responsibility than many other small terrier breeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my country there are absolutely no bans. Constantly there are boxers, pit bulls, cane corsos and many more breeds like them.
My flat also doesn't have a problem.
I got a blue nose pitbull, and it's great.
Now I completely understand everyone who says that natural aggression is bs.
We entered the dog place and a girl walked us through many many dogs which barked super hard. Only dogs that stayed in place were a bull terrier and the pitbull. We took the little pit and the mother looked confused, but in no harming way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
OH!!! Congratulations. Blue noses tend to be more inbred than Red Noses but there is so much less stigma against them. Pitties are NOT aggressive, they are friendly, happy, silly dogs whose smile can't help but cheer up anyone, no matter how bad their problems and struggles are.

I am so happy for you.

She will be FINE in your flat. Pitties are major snugglebugs and cuddlers. They aren't noisy and they aren't anywhere near as prone to separation anxiety as other breeds. They are athletic and will appreciate all the walks and love and attention you were prepared to give a JRT.

This is such a perfect fit and such a happy ending. Please keep us updated.

Or not. Maybe I'm just being a jerk and wanting to live vicariously and should mind my own business, lol.

But either way, congratulations on your new baby. The mother will be okay. She loved her kid just like humans do, but dogs are better at living in the moment than we are and this is the ultimate fate of all or most mother dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for being super late, and thanks.
It is a lovely dog, and now I am completely confident that owners "make" their dogs.
I was also wondering if i need to walk it with a muzzle, because i have a friend who has a red nose and I think he doesn't walk it with any protection except the leash/
The only problems so far are the potty training and the chewing everything one.
She goes to her toilet almost all the time but sometimes she just forgets she has a need to go, and does it on the floor, but I am sure that when she grows up a little more she will stop since she could hold for a few more steps.
Only concern i have is that i start school on the 15th of september, and around the 30th we are moving in our flat. I was told i need to walk it twice a day - one in the morning and one in the night (Personally think that the time doesn't matter but..) I am ready for a dog and all it's problems, but mixing waking up early to go to school and waking up even earlier to walk the dog just doesn't sound good.
My plan is to walk her after I finish school and probably around 19-20:00 pm.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's wonderful.

Natural aggression or genetic aggression is not BS. It just notes a higher incidence of specific traits in a breed but it's not an "all members of this breed have the thing". Genetic dog aggression does run in some lines of pit bull, I'm very glad this appears not to be true for your particular dog.
@SpicyBulldog is the most experienced of our forum members with the breed.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
In my country there are absolutely no bans. Constantly there are boxers, pit bulls, cane corsos and many more breeds like them.
My flat also doesn't have a problem.
I got a blue nose pitbull, and it's great.
Now I completely understand everyone who says that natural aggression is bs.
We entered the dog place and a girl walked us through many many dogs which barked super hard. Only dogs that stayed in place were a bull terrier and the pitbull. We took the little pit and the mother looked confused, but in no harming way.
Genetics in dogs is in no way BS, including various forms of aggression, I've actually never heard this from a responsible breeder or scientist. Not only is inheritance of behavioral traits observable through generations, but geneticist have discovered genes for aggression and other behaviors. Currently still searching for more and there is effort to create better treatments with knowing specific genes and chemicals/hormones involved it isn't the same for every dog so a one size fits all won't do (likewise in people).

If getting a puppy and wanting more predictable behavior it is best to seek a responsible breeder, but I'm not sure what country you're in and how breeding works there. So not sure if that was an option for you. Observing a dam for a short interval isn't going to tell you much about temperament and there are recessive and polygenic gene that can affect a dog even though it isn't observed in the parent. There are sadly a lot of people breeding unstable dogs or those with poor temperament. With your own puppy they can go through changes, many dogs don't start displaying their overall temperament tendencies until adolescence. This is only a word of caution, as you've got the puppy already not much you can do now but train, social and deal with whatever behaviors come your way - which might be nothing bad at all. You could have a stable and easy dog for their entire life.

OH!!! Congratulations. Blue noses tend to be more inbred than Red Noses but there is so much less stigma against them. Pitties are NOT aggressive, they are friendly, happy, silly dogs whose smile can't help but cheer up anyone, no matter how bad their problems and struggles are.

I am so happy for you.

She will be FINE in your flat. Pitties are major snugglebugs and cuddlers. They aren't noisy and they aren't anywhere near as prone to separation anxiety as other breeds. They are athletic and will appreciate all the walks and love and attention you were prepared to give a JRT.

This is such a perfect fit and such a happy ending. Please keep us updated.

Or not. Maybe I'm just being a jerk and wanting to live vicariously and should mind my own business, lol.

But either way, congratulations on your new baby. The mother will be okay. She loved her kid just like humans do, but dogs are better at living in the moment than we are and this is the ultimate fate of all or most mother dogs.
I don't see any tendency of higher levels of inbreeding in one color vs another. Never seen any data on this. Inbreeding levels is going to vary from one litter to the next based on breeders pairing, regardless of color. I know red nose dogs with coefficient of inbreeding at 50% or more and blue dogs with 0-1%. Both colors can also appear in the same litter therefore having same COI, along with "lilac" and "champagne" pups who've inherited both recessive traits.

Pit Bulls have a tendency towards dog directed aggression and prey drive, it is important for them to be aware even if their dog doesn't express the traits, knowledge gives them a heads up just in case. With human aggression being undesirable and not something bred for it is seen far less often, but there are plenty of byb who think nothing of breeding dogs who suffer from such issues. By not going to a responsible breeder it increases chances of having temperament problems, but it doesn't mean the dog absolutely will.

Let's hope that's the case. As Pit Bulls can absolutely suffer from seperation anxiety, they are a very people oriented, velcro breed. This typically isn't an independent breed at all. A Pit with seperation anxiety being left alone can lead to not only noise, but also destructive behavior, when trying to use a crate to prevent destruction they can cause themselves injury busting/chewing out of crate, some episodes are accompanied by urinating / defecating as well. Some times self harm chewing and biting themselves could be an issue if left unchecked. One severe case jumped through a window. So it can get problematic if not dealt with. Many minor cases can be worked with, but extreme cases may require professional and veterinary help.

Overall noise level varies depending on lines and individual dog. Some are active talkers, some whine only for certain things, others very vocal with barking and some seem to almost never make a sound. Nuisance barking might not often be an issue, but have experienced that some can get very loud and boisterous with barking if excited or playing, if they hear another dog outside whining/screeching/screaming sounds can sound crazy and loud, which could disturb someone through an apartment wall.

Destruction to the apartment also might be an issue with landlord if it occurs. Strong chewers if left alone bored or with SA can cause a lot of damage.

Sorry for being super late, and thanks.
It is a lovely dog, and now I am completely confident that owners "make" their dogs.
I was also wondering if i need to walk it with a muzzle, because i have a friend who has a red nose and I think he doesn't walk it with any protection except the leash/
The only problems so far are the potty training and the chewing everything one.
She goes to her toilet almost all the time but sometimes she just forgets she has a need to go, and does it on the floor, but I am sure that when she grows up a little more she will stop since she could hold for a few more steps.
Only concern i have is that i start school on the 15th of september, and around the 30th we are moving in our flat. I was told i need to walk it twice a day - one in the morning and one in the night (Personally think that the time doesn't matter but..) I am ready for a dog and all it's problems, but mixing waking up early to go to school and waking up even earlier to walk the dog just doesn't sound good.
My plan is to walk her after I finish school and probably around 19-20:00 pm.
Muzzle training might be a good idea, but I wouldn't say it is a must. It doesn't hurt to do this, if done properly, JIC your dog ever needs to wear one it won't be stressful. When walking I'd just be aware of your surroundings. Try to find places where other responsible owners walk. Avoid those where people let their dogs off lead uncontrolled or there are many roaming dogs. Your dog might not start a fight, but could ultimately finish one so best to avoid them all together. Also be aware of how to stop the fight as your dog is still your responsibility.

The potty training sounds like going well and that is indeed a common issue. I would keep consistent with taking her to toilet and try to prevent accidents. Chewing is pretty normal, redirect her to appropriate toys to satisfy her chewing. Also try to keep things you don't want her to chew put up.

Many people get up earlier than normal to attend to their dog before work or school. Especially a pup will have more needs. There isn't a hard set rule on exercise, dogs needs vary. Some Pit Bulls are good after 20 mins to relax for awhile others can go 2 hours. I would recommend using a flirtpole or something once a day to add mental stimulation and tire out quicker than a walk. This can be more satisfying to your puppy.

Resources within the forum

This one is long read but thorough
https://www.dogforum.com/dog-breeds/big-fat-pit-bull-thread-17664#/topics/17664?page=1

Post #32 in this thread
https://www.dogforum.com/#/topics/147530?page=4

Outside sources
https://badrap.org/breed-info/what-expect

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/puppy-socialization/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jack Russels are high energy and can be demanding dogs of your time in many ways. Many end up in the pound because people just can't handle their energy level. That's a fact. If you like the look of a JR, you might consider their close cousin, Rat Terriers. That is what I have (my avatar is my little Button). They are playful, friendly, affectionate, loyal, and are very similar in look and temperament to a Jack. The females, in particular, are incredibly easy and fast to house train. And my girl is so well house trained, that after age 2, could be left in the house alone, unconfined and never disturbed a single thing, or had a potty "accident" for 16 years! Heck, she only had 4 of those while I was house-training her, I kid you not. Smart dogs, ratties. You'll never be able to leave a JRT in the house alone, unconfined. Someone I know with one of each told me the difference is that Rat Terriers have and "OFF SWITCH". My girl is nearly 16 now. This is my bicolor Button: https://imgur.com/T94RPvt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts