Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! I hope I'm posting this in the right place. So, please don't hate me for this, but I've never really been a dog person. I really, really love animals, but dogs have always scared me since I've had bad experiences with aggressive dogs. No hard feelings though! I've just been kinda timid around dogs ever since.

Anyway, my boyfriend loves dogs and I'm open to having one, but I guess I need to figure out which breed would be best for me? I guess I'd want one that's small, quiet, doesn't jump up on people a lot or become aggressive easily.. I really like pomeranians but I heard they are high energy and bark a lot so I'm not sure? I'm fine with playing, just not very rough play. Also, if there are any dogs that are prone to eating more plant-based foods than others? I like the xoloitzcuintli but I'm not sure what their behavior is or how easy it'd be to find one that's a rescue (I don't like buying from breeders). Sorry for being so picky and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi!! I hope I'm posting this in the right place. So, please don't hate me for this, but I've never really been a dog person. I really, really love animals, but dogs have always scared me since I've had bad experiences with aggressive dogs. No hard feelings though! I've just been kinda timid around dogs ever since.

Anyway, my boyfriend loves dogs and I'm open to having one, but I guess I need to figure out which breed would be best for me?
Did your boyfriend mention a favorite breed or does he say whatever sits well with you is fine with him?

I guess I'd want one that's small, quiet, doesn't jump up on people a lot or become aggressive easily..
A lot of small dogs are high energy. For example pugs that look like they would do nothing else but lying on the couch, can have a lot of energy. This is mostly based on the personality, but genes definitely play a role. The jumping: That's a training thing, so, since you want to rescue, maybe the dog knows already or it will be up to you and your boyfriend to teach the dog appropriate behavior. Aggression: I rarely heard about dogs that are aggressive per se (especially human aggressive, which is a totally different thing to dog aggressive). Either they had a very bad experience with something or were trained by the wrong hands (or not trained at all and learned to "fight" for their food for example). But, same thing, smaller dogs are more prone (as always not generalizing, but trending :) ) to be more snappy, especially if it gets pampered without any training or rules. And if you mean "mouthing" by aggression (dog nips at your hand/feet/arms/legs during play) that is not aggression at all and is also trainable.

I really like pomeranians but I heard they are high energy and bark a lot so I'm not sure? I'm fine with playing, just not very rough play.
Again, this is personality based and you can find poms that are not high energy and bark a lot or the exact opposite. Rough playing... pretty much the same thing, some dogs love it (like mine) and some dogs don't.

Also, if there are any dogs that are prone to eating more plant-based foods than others?
No. Dogs are not vegetarians.

I like the xoloitzcuintli but I'm not sure what their behavior is or how easy it'd be to find one that's a rescue (I don't like buying from breeders). Sorry for being so picky and thanks in advance!
Then you might be successful with searching for a rescue that is breed specific to the xoloitzcuintli breed.

In general I would grab your boyfriend go to the shelter and look at/walk some of the dogs. Maybe you se tendencies in the breeds that you like and don't like. You can contact rescues in your area (or further away, if they are breed specific) with your criteria and see if they have a dog or know of a dog somewhere that might fit you.

What might a good advise for you: get a 1 1/2-4 year old young adult dog. At that age (depending on breed and size) the personality has set in and you can be better advised by the rescues as to their temperament, energy level, behavior in general. Puppies can and do change while growing up.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dogs are carnivores. I repeat, dogs are carnivores. While they can eat a variety of plant based foods and draw nutrition from it, their primary source of nutrients should come from meat. Feeding any dog with a vegan diet is not advisable and a disservice to the animal. While they may be able to survive, they will likely suffer from many nutritional deficiencies which will result of expensive vet bills. Plant based foods are meant to supplement, not be the main ingredient.

With that said...

Sit down with your boyfriend and discuss your options and preferences. Ask yourself the following questions:

Do I live in a house with a backyard or an apartment?
Does my apartment have certain breed and weight restrictions?
Do you own or rent?

Then ask yourself:

Large, medium, or small breed?
How much time am I willing to spend on grooming?
Do we have children or commonly have children who visit our home?
Do we have other animals?
Do these animals get along well with dogs?

Research breeds that interest you and take some notes. Discuss these points with your boyfriend. Shop around for a quality vet, they are often knowledgeable about breeds and temperaments. Also shop around for a quality training facility that can help you train and bond with your puppy. Especially if you're a first time dog owner. If you adopt.... please please please talk to the facility and take your time to make the right decision. These dogs deserve loving people who can give them their forever home. Think VERY long and hard before you take the plunge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.